An alternative helmet cooling system?

Call me mental if you want :D<br><br>

We don't tend to have overheating issues in Scotland, so I probably won't be installing fans in my bucket.<br><br>

However, aren't electric fans a bit noisy? Especially if you have a mic installed for aplification.<br><br>

Has anyone tried a simple ice pack? You know, those little silver packs you put in lunch boxes?<br><br>

As cool air drops, would this cause enough of a cooling effect, if stored in some compartment at the top of the helmet?

I've been trooping in the uk for years and have never found the need for helmet fans . Maybe in Las Vegas , but the uk ? Naaah .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lol, like I said, I can't see much call for them up here in Scotland but our some of our American cousins probably use them more.

I got an echos system in my bucket (I live in Iowa, USA) and it helps when it gets too warm and it's not very noisy, but I only use mine as needed, and yeah when it's cold out, not a good idea. I can still hear fairly well with the fans on. 

• 3 weeks later...

Even during mild days you may find your lenses fogging up. The fans purpose isn't only for keeping your head cool, but keeping your lenses cleared up. Trust me, I live on the East Coast of Canada and anywehere inside, with my bucket on, I need fans to see.

Edited by C0bra_M3nace

I did my first few troops without fans, in winter, and when indoors, my lenses fogged up instantly without some sort of anti-fog, and even with anti-fog, enclosed areas (not big open buildings like at cons), they still fogged a little.  Until I got my fans installed, and I had no idea what I was missing.  It gets rather muggy inside the helmet.  Fans vary, but most aren't that loud, a gentle whir.  And there's ukswrath's hearing assist system if you need it.  Bottom line is you CAN troop without fans (one of our guys does it), but it's infinitely more comfortable with fans.  

• 2 weeks later...

While not a fan, this is definitely an alternative:---------------

I get REALLY toasty in my Fett so wearing one of these cooling headbands has really helped me stay focused and not overly fatigued. I usually pair this with a fan setup and it does me quite well. You can also find ones to go around your neck, arms, legs, etc.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

• 2 weeks later...

Two, one on each side below the frown, directed upwards towards the lenses.  If you can, leaving a bit of a gap between the lens and the helmet is also helpful.  Also, I highly recommend the blue 12-volt rechargeable batteries (eBay).  On a full charge, mine last about 4 - 4 1/2 hours.  But when they die, they die, no warning or slow down.