Best pads for a bucket?

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for the most comfortable pads for your helmet?

I was thinking about going with these: http://www.amazon.com/NEW-ORIGINAL-US-ARMY-ISSUE/dp/B004RCLM8Q/ref=pd_sbs_468_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41NyyK4cyCL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1VXF5FFE22VHKQASN3QE

If anyone by experience thinks they've found the best, please link below!

Thank you!

• Like 1

It's whatever you feel comfortable with. Those pads are not screen accurate (they used the starshaped foam), but you do not see it anyway.

Supposedly those are very comfortable since you can adjust based on position you like.
So up to you.

Thank you guys.  I'm thinking of painting the interior of my bucket.  And with these pads, it should look great as well as being comfortable.

Thanks again for the advice!

Edited by gromitsdad

I've done exactly that with those pads. You'll enjoy the comfort and you can actually turn your head! 71f3f989658081cbe41dfb31ee88e17e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, man that looks great!  Is that Echo's fan system I see in there?  I'm hoping to get one also, but Echo is a hard guy to get in touch with!  Thanks for posting that pic!

I ordered very similar pads from China for a whopping $12 USD.  They are still on the slow boat, but I'll report back once they are in and I've had a chance to check them out.  Here's the link:-----------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've purchased numerous pads on Amazon and Ebay and nothing seemed to fit. I also wanted a interchangeable, adjustable and washable solution. So after long deliberation and many returns to the mailbox - I went with the x-liner.  It's not cheap, but worth every penny. my 2 cents...

Originally I purchased a medium 3/4 but ultimately went with the XL 3/4

http://www.gibson-barnes.com/prod-294519/Hgu55-Xliner.html

IMG_2953_zpsi3fnt6m0.jpg

X Liner is Gentex’s most advanced high-tech helmet fitting system. It is comfortable, cool, clean, and easy to install. 

Inside the revolutionary X Liner are two layers of visco-elastic comfort foam that instantly and continuously adjust to your head. The soft inner layer adjusts quickly as you fly it fits perfectly, eliminates hot spots, and stabilizes your helmet. The firmer outer layer adjusts more slowly and its firmness helps keep your helmet from bottoming out.

You can enjoy the self-adjusting comfort of X-Liner even in hot or cold weather because the visco elastic foam used in the X-Liner is not sensitive to temperature. Other visco elastic foams become too hard in cold weather and are too soft in hot weather.

X Liner’s unique design promotes air circulation and increases evaporation so you stay cool. Your helmet will also be more stable as X Liner’s shape eliminates roll and creep.

Antimicrobial X-static© fabric keeps X Liner clean and odor free. X-Static fabric is made with a layer of 99.9% pure silver bonded to the surface of the fiber to kill odor-causing bacteria, eliminate static, and conduct heat away from you.

Installing your X-liner is simple. Adjust its shape with four strips of Velcro© and place it in your helmet where five pieces of Velcro© keep it in place.

Edited by cjdesign

I've purchased numerous pads on Amazon and Ebay and nothing seemed to fit. I also wanted a interchangeable, adjustable and washable solution. So after long deliberation and returns I went with the x-liner.  It's not cheap, but worth every penny. my 2 cents...

Originally I purchased a medium 3/4 but ultimately went with the XL 3/4

http://www.gibson-barnes.com/prod-294519/Hgu55-Xliner.html

X Liner is Gentex’s most advanced high-tech helmet fitting system. It is comfortable, cool, clean, and easy to install. 

Inside the revolutionary X Liner are two layers of visco-elastic comfort foam that instantly and continuously adjust to your head. The soft inner layer adjusts quickly as you fly it fits perfectly, eliminates hot spots, and stabilizes your helmet. The firmer outer layer adjusts more slowly and its firmness helps keep your helmet from bottoming out.

You can enjoy the self-adjusting comfort of X-Liner even in hot or cold weather because the visco elastic foam used in the X-Liner is not sensitive to temperature. Other visco elastic foams become too hard in cold weather and are too soft in hot weather.

X Liner’s unique design promotes air circulation and increases evaporation so you stay cool. Your helmet will also be more stable as X Liner’s shape eliminates roll and creep.

Antimicrobial X-static© fabric keeps X Liner clean and odor free. X-Static fabric is made with a layer of 99.9% pure silver bonded to the surface of the fiber to kill odor-causing bacteria, eliminate static, and conduct heat away from you.

Installing your X-liner is simple. Adjust its shape with four strips of Velcro© and place it in your helmet where five pieces of Velcro© keep it in place.

Oh this is awesome!  And it doesn't sit too high?  You can still see ok?  Is it a snug fit around your head?  

On 3/3/2016 at 6:15 AM, spyder560 said:

Oh this is awesome!  And it doesn't sit too high?  You can still see ok?  Is it a snug fit around your head?  

Totally adjustable via velcro on both sides.

They have three sizes and 2 thicknesses, so Im sure finding an option is not an issue. To be honest, I purchased all three sizes for the perfect fit and returned the others.

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Very cool...did you velcro it to the helmet too or is it snug enough to just sit in the helmet?

it's gets velcro'ed in 4 spots.

Edited by cjdesign

I just use a hard hat liner

that's what I HAD in there at first. Until I trooped a foggy chilly morning in Anaheim and when everything was said and done... I poured tablepoons of condensation out of my helmet. I figured I needed more fabric to help absorb moisture.

Edited by cjdesign

These look awesome....I'm experimenting with plain foam...but this looks totally sweet!  Did you get the XL because your head is big or did it fit the bucket better.  I normally wear medium size helmets.

Edited by The Chief

These pads don't make the helmet rise above your eye line? I tried some furniture cushion and had to cut it down to to almost 1/8", otherwise the helmet sat high. Maybe I just have a big head?

I bought the military helmet pads like you see on Amazon, but I don't use the "crown" pad because it does make my helmet sit too high on my head. However, I get by just fine without it. I just strategically place the smaller pads on the sides and back. Install them with tape first so you can move them around until you get the fit you like. Then secure with your Velcro or glue or whatever.

These look awesome....I'm experimenting with plain foam...but this looks totally sweet!  Did you get the XL because your head is big or did it fit the bucket better.  I normally wear medium size helmets.

It fit the bucket better.

I'm about the put the army pads into my bucket. For those that painted the interior (plastidip), does the velcro stick well, or do you need to apply the velcro to the plastic directly and mask it off when painting?

I'm about the put the army pads into my bucket. For those that painted the interior (plastidip), does the velcro stick well, or do you need to apply the velcro to the plastic directly and mask it off when painting?

The plasti dip stuck to the interior of my bucket very well, so no masking needed in places where velcro went.  I was pleasantly surprised by how well it adhered.

• Like 1