Tacky Paint

Tiedoll

What on earth happened to this weapon???  Looks like it was painted with tar, to be honest.  It seems you are going to have to take all that paint off, unfortunately, (a job which I don't envy you), Nhan.  If you don't mind telling us, where did you get it from?

I wonder if the paint didn't have time to properly cure before the person decided to box it up and ship it. When I purchased mine, the seller waited 2 days after the last coat of paint to ship so it had time to fully cure. 

But with that paint job, I would be contacting the seller and saying he really messed up. 

• Like 2

Is it made of rubber or a similar material? May have been enamel instead of acrylic paint. Either way, there is a safe product called Citristrip that can be used to remove the paint. Then you can wash it and reapply the proper primer, then paint.

------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Looks like the tacky blaster that was being sold with stunt armour... Spray paint they used originally made the weapon sticky, so they tried another coat from another brand, which made it tacky... I think was the story on that one... If this is the same weapon...

• Like 1

Correct TK-2759, it is the one sold with the stunt armor from the For Sale section. I bought the armor because I have the exact same proportions as she does and not for the blaster, so I don't blame the seller for the current state of this blaster. She said that the blaster came from another seller off the boards so I've no clue who made this thing. Handling the thing, doesn't feel like rubber. 

Thanks Griffin-X, I'll look into Citristrip to remove the paint. I thought it would be as simple as sanding it down and repainting, but this sounds easier (probably). I think what happened with the original was it was poorly painted with latex-based paint and the clear coat made it worse. Some sources suggested using talcum powder but that also chances that the stickiness will return so I don't think that'll work.

Edited by Tiedoll

Hi!

Yar, that was my sticky blaster.... tk 9496. 

[i kept my good blaster that I bought from TKBondsrvnt.]

Found it - I paid $190 to Ronime Studios Feb 20th 2013.

I am sorry it's sticky... I tried to 'splain that in the sale thread. :)

Here's what I found on the internet: https://www.facebook.com/THGProps/

Transaction ID 84K84099A0715241M  

Correct TK-2759, it is the one sold with the stunt armor from the For Sale section. I bought the armor because I have the exact same proportions as she does and not for the blaster, so I don't blame the seller for the current state of this blaster. She said that the blaster came from another seller off the boards so I've no clue who made this thing. Handling the thing, doesn't feel like rubber.

Thanks Griffin-X, I'll look into Citristrip to remove the paint. I thought it would be as simple as sanding it down and repainting, but this sounds easier (probably). I think what happened with the original was it was poorly painted with latex-based paint and the clear coat made it worse. Some sources suggested using talcum powder but that also chances that the stickiness will return so I don't think that'll work.

The Citristrip is pretty awesome and safe since it's not chemically based. I have used it to strip paint of an entire Tie helmet. The paint will literally scrunch up and soften. Then you can rinse it off and start over. Good stuff.

Okay so turns out they did paint silver underneath the black. This is just my first attempt at removing when only letting the citrustrip sit for like 40 minutes.

I think I'll wash it all off and do a longer coat sit later this week before scrapping it off

Any tips for these harder to reach parts?

cc7ec1fc8bdd535e28199ec5a652de19.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks to me that it was either a faulty batch of paint, or the wrong paint for the base was used and failed to degas properley. I have seen this when using the wrong primer coat on resin blasters and they we remain permanently sticky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a member here with the same problem, the stock was the problem and the rest of the weapon seemed ok, I ended up replacing his stock for him and repainting. After 6 months I thought his original stock would have dried properly and gave it another repaint, but no same problem just ended up as sticky once again, I think it is something in the actual resin which reacts with the paint.

Alright! So I just found out porous sections of the surface on the barrel after removing what appears to be 3 layers of paint. I may have to change from a stripping tool to an abrasive sponge or something.

Also the paint was much easier to remove initially around 40 minutes but was definitely tougher to scrape off as it continues to sit. At around 5 hours later the paint was definitely not curling up like you said, but I think this may be due to the several types of paint intermingling with each other.

I'll try this again in sections of the gun to avoid having this mess to clean up. Really hot water seemed the only thing that helped me scrub off the citristrip, which removed some of the paint, but sort of in a patchy way. Will be posting more pics on Friday and over the weekend.

Updates on the blaster. So it seems the citrustrip might've eaten at some of the detail.

08a20247b567e09fa9d6e7ed76a8ad36.jpg6cf10ab4c171c107f1cf4782da13ca2d.jpg7be52ffeecc399ffa0d3ba16b8adbc62.jpg67af8ca27a0405e9a9bb934a699609dc.jpg0595a080faa122de79bc47e3a13309d1.jpg

The scuffed looking sections were peeled using the stripper and are no longer tacky. As you can see, removing the paint revealed porous looking sections of the blaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk