Shhhh a quiet fx rebuild

So. I've been working on the internal snap system of late. I found it a bit of a struggle to get it to sit correctly. Anyway I have decided to re do the abs to kidney snaps with justjosephs double snap on 2 inch webbing. I found that elastic had too much give as created a "V" like shape where the abb and kidney line up. I must say though, that by adding two elastic snap straps to the chest plate really makes the kit fell a lot more snug.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Edited by CTID

Not sure if the shots are good enough or not. But any feedback would be appreciated. Moving on I have ordered my 1/4" elastic for the shoulder straps. Not done much more due to work commitments. Gonna have to wait until Wednesday before I get more done.

Hey Marc yes the shoulder bell position is looking good.

Regarding the shoulder strap covers, you can remove the extra flat edge on each side of the ribs then square it off with the front and back.

Keep up the great work :duim:  

Hey Marc yes the shoulder bell position is looking good.

Regarding the shoulder strap covers, you can remove the extra flat edge on each side of the ribs then square it off with the front and back.

Keep up the great work :duim:

Thanks for the advice will sort them!

Your builds have helped me so much. Thank you.

Edited by CTID
  • Like 1

Very nice work!

Thank you! This rebuild has been a steep learning curve but seeing yours and Ukswraths build is inspiring. I wouldn't know what to do without them.

• Like 2

Thank you! This rebuild has been a steep learning curve but seeing yours and Ukswraths build is inspiring. I wouldn't know what to do without them.

Very kind of you good sir - I don't have any fx exposure but if there's any way I can help don't hesitate to ask

• Like 1

Very kind of you good sir - I don't have any fx exposure but if there's any way I can help don't hesitate to ask

Am sure I will need to!

So a quick test fit ( excuse the lid ) with the new snap system. Some work to do in respect of replacing some weaker snaps as a couple don't seem to want to "snap"! As well as considering dumping elastic and opting for more webbing in places (That's another order of poppers sent) I have also found that the weight of the biceps and forearms are pulling the shoulder bells down, so some work to do there. Any advice?

ec677824fb3a56f058aa7a8885bcb472.jpg

I was just planning on reducing the length of the elastic from bell to shoulder strap.

I will try to get more pics on, but it's hard to take the shots, as I'm doing this build on the quiet. The Mrs is at work and thinks I'm busy doing chores on my days off!

The only assistance/victim for testing or photo opportunities is my 15 year old, who I promised could try my armour on tonight when he's home from school. He thinks it's a treat, but for me (being the same size and build as each other) it's a great opportunity to look for tweaks!

Again, not a great pic but what are your thoughts on the gap between the ab and kidney? Too big? I'm only a slim guy and really want to avoid the whole dropping a piece of abs between and doing to whole seamless abs paste thing. I could probably tighten it up by a few mm if really needed to.

f8177a3442f8de5cac89c069faf70b6f.jpg

This arrived today, so I am going to be cracking on with trimming the shoulder covers down to 3mm edges, square them off and refit, thanks to Tonys advice.

Josephs split rivets were waiting for me when I got home from work yesterday, all the way from the US. I will be keeping them in a safe place until I am happy that everything else is done. No real reason, apart from the fact that I am pooping myself at the thought of cocking up!

• Like 1

I have also found that the weight of the biceps and forearms are pulling the shoulder bells down, so some work to do there. Any advice?

Don't hang your biceps and forearms from the shoulder bell? You don't need to, and the original suits didn't have that connection either. Only the bicep and forearms were connected to each other.

Don't hang your biceps and forearms from the shoulder bell? You don't need to, and the original suits didn't have that connection either. Only the bicep and forearms were connected to each other.

That makes sense. I just realised that the snap in the bell is not to support the weight of the rest of the arms, But to keep the bell aligned! I will have a play with them later. May need to put a little padding in the bicep though to keep them in place. I am quickly beginning to learn that the initial assembly is not the true pain in the backside, it's the tweaking of the setup!

Edited by CTID
  • Like 2

As much as I agree with you, the accuracy approach didn't work for me. Though not shown in my Anovos build due to accuracy they will get added later. After a day of trooping I have severe armor bites in my inner elbows. Just out our curiosity what do you suggest to individuals that have that issue besides padding which I personally can't stand either?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As much as I agree with you, the accuracy approach didn't work for me. Though not shown in my Anovos build due to accuracy they will get added later. After a day of trooping I have severe armor bites in my inner elbows. Just out our curiosity what do you suggest to individuals that have that issue besides padding which I personally can't stand either?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Make sure you have a wide (2-3" or so) elastic between forearm and bicep and positioned correctly. The elastic saves you from the armour bites by getting in the way at the inside of the elbow.

That's why the elastic is glued in off center on the originals. Because the center of the the parts is not where your elbow ends up when you bend it in relation to the armour.

gallery_12157_16_24850.jpg

• Like 1

Make sure you have a wide (2-3" or so) elastic between forearm and bicep and positioned correctly. The elastic saves you from the armour bites by getting in the way at the inside of the elbow.

That's why the elastic is glued in off center on the originals. Because the center of the the parts is not where your elbow ends up when you bend it in relation to the armour.

gallery_12157_16_24850.jpg

Very good thank you 

Going back to the bells. Is there a better way to get them to stay in place? They seem to want to rotate towards the back of the bicep.

8935040604a3ca7685dc1d9f2a882974.jpg

Is it worth trying to tighten the bicep elastic up? Don't want to go too tight as I don't want to pull the bell out of shape.

Do you have a strap at the top?967314f71fe7b7df5d84b193408ae4f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. But I find that they drift towards the back after a few minutes of wearing them

31a236e2912b2e35cd306009569ce84d.jpg

• Like 1

I'm at work, so unable to measure, but I'm fairly certain that mine (which are RT-Mod) are 1" squares.

If someone knows otherwise for non RT armors, please chime in.  :D

Looking good Marc!  Keep at it. 

Does anyone know the size of the button covers, or whatever they're called for the belt?

afe77be192d1f2813f05cccc8d7cb509.jpg

Waist ammo belt rivet covers.

I'm pretty sure any armor vendor will sell you a set OR make your own using the following button modification. Find a steel object where the head is the same size as the round/raised portion at the center of the ab belt. Warm up one end of the metal, press it into a piece of flat scrap or cover strip plastic creating a dome of similar size. Once cooled cut the square area around it.

I know there's a tutorial where a guy uses a heated dime to accomplish this but I can;t find it.

Hope this helps 

• Like 3

Waist ammo belt rivet covers.

I'm pretty sure any armor vendor will sell you a set OR make your own using the following button modification. Find a steel object where the head is the same size as the round/raised portion at the center of the ab belt. Warm up one end of the metal, press it into a piece of flat scrap or cover strip plastic creating a dome of similar size. Once cooled cut the square area around it.

I know there's a tutorial where a guy uses a heated dime to accomplish this but I can;t find it.

Hope this helps

It does, thanks. I have seen the post you're talking about....couldn't find it either!

• Like 1