Shhhh a quiet fx rebuild

Ok so around five years ago I bought this kit. Didn't do my research....just wanted a stormtrooper! Yes, and don't shout I bought it off ebay. Now I am aware of my mistake. Anyway, I threw it together and it looked like this....

ecb2808cb4061208d45453b8f184db59.jpg

At the same time I built a PVC pipe blaster...which I am quite proud of...

c6de7b871af9f3b4966d5151c83a14c5.jpg

d29acce232b3ffef99be34257d1b15f2.jpg

Now my armour looks like this....

d4d0635c461169c5ae77d22131ca69d0.jpg

I can't afford a new kit (yet) so have decided to rebuild the one I have.

Please give me as much feedback and advice adds you can, am going to need everyone's help on this one!

BTW I know the FX helmet will no longer be approved but can't afford a new one at the moment.

Edited by CTID

So I removed the old harness strapping system and began a new.

83114ddd336f52207b40fdd777f1a081.jpg

effc1583f648560ff5646c458213deec.jpg

ce2a04e448e1d457f12687c0ab839f19.jpg

e0ccdf5444c771941224f787d3086a09.jpg

0db9abe4c8452b890fb839ef1c960ad5.jpg

I didn't realise how much you have to test fit and move the snaps about!

As I have stripped it all apart I will be trimming and attending to other details (within my skill set!) as I go along.

I have already trimmed the kidney plate for a better fit which will hopefully allow the back plate to marry up better and not overlap.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Edited by CTID

A big thing is removing the overlap method and doing butt joins. My GML still rocks his FX armor but obviously with a different helmet. He just got Anovos though.

That's just it. I'm having a hard time getting it to butt up correctly. There was a huge overlap. Have trimmed some of the kidney plate off. Having issues with the angle of the back plate not sitting on my shoulders. Am reluctant to trim any more off.....need a test fit....again!

72dfd09b88d3402ca45c0bf9f91f10c5.jpg

7b8fe7805fb5b606fcfb86bcddb21668.jpg

Pretty much all the snaps done, had to order more......still waiting for them to arrive.

Cleaned the armour up with a magic sponge. It's amazing how dirty it can get and you don't even notice!

My aker amp is on its way £22.00 not a bad price I think. Only hope that 10w is going to be loud enough. I have cannibalised a two way radio system (which I began working on before I ripped my armour apart) and I will get back to that once I get the armour sorted.

Had my first test fit with all the upper torso parts today ( still waiting for the snaps on the ab plate to set though!)

Seeing as valentines is on the way I thought I would have a play with photoshop and post this on the Mrs wall this Sunday. ..

b49c67bdde41e49861778b75696a9bc5.jpg

Anyway, I know it's FX and I need my first priority to be a new lid. But it's mine, and I really have enjoyed looking and learning and attempting to rebuild my armour in a more accurate manner (within my skills)

Can't afford new armour anytime soon to buy a new kit so guess I have to live with what I have.

Would love some advice (if anyone looks at my post, that is!)

Edited by CTID

Well your in luck, my first build was FX, don't fret you're on the right track. Sounds like you know about the helmet change already, something you'll need for 501st approval. Feel free to hit me up with any questions.

• Like 2

Well your in luck, my first build was FX, don't fret you're on the right track. Sounds like you know about the helmet change already, something you'll need for 501st approval. Feel free to hit me up with any questions.

Appreciate it, thank you!

Had a thought about chatter .... want to make it feel right. I was thinking, as well as it coming from the Aker, why not have it in the lid for the wearer the hear?.....hold that thought!

It can be hard to hear people talking to you while wearing a helmet, specially in noisy environments. If you add another layer of sound in there I think you might find it near impossible to hear anything outside the helmet. You might need to then think about an environmental hearing assisted device to put in there aswell.

Keep up the good work on your rebuild, and remember, Expert Infantry level was created to help make FX armor look more accurate, so follow the CRL and you are on the right track

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It can be hard to hear people talking to you while wearing a helmet, specially in noisy environments. If you add another layer of sound in there I think you might find it near impossible to hear anything outside the helmet. You might need to then think about an environmental hearing assisted device to put in there aswell.

Keep up the good work on your rebuild, and remember, Expert Infantry level was created to help make FX armor look more accurate, so follow the CRL and you are on the right track

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Didn't even think of that! Thanks for the suggestion. My intention is to have it as a secondary unit which can either be turned off/up/down independently of the Aker. I'm going to give It a go and see. It will be as straight forward as unplugging it from the Aker if it affects hearing. Just waiting for the cables to arrive.

Hi z. It's an old cheap mp3 amp I purchased of eBay years ago for about £5/6, I though I could use it for my headset, it's not as loud as the Aker (which I now have since bought, and love!) so I cannibalised it. Removed the speakers, and got busy with my soldering iron. What you can see in the pick is the internals as I had not put the cover back on at the time.

The "chatter" is an mp3 of all different samples of troops communicating. I got the inspiration from a post on here.I apologise for my ignorance but dont know the name of the person who created the original, nor where I heard it, but I'm sure they're around on the FISD! There is a cool little app called "voice changer with effects" in the play store. The app let's you export your files as mp3 so you can play about with them in whatever audio suite you may have.

15d0e2c79a871c853de182b1ef5171e3.jpg

Edited by CTID
  • Like 1

Hi Marc,

my setup only consist of an Aker and an mp3 player.

As the Aker has two input channels (one for the mic), I use the other one to plug in an old mp3 player. I have the imperial march and different chatter files on it (you will find the files in the members only section of the 501st page after you were approved for membership).

I adjusted the mp3 player to be considerably lower than my voice.

I wear my aker around my neck under my breastplate, and believe me, the radio chatter is loud enough to interfere a communication with guests or other TKs.

You don't want that inside your helmet!

(Besides the whirring of the fan in your helmet alone may be enough to seriously impair your hearing, you don't need anything else ...)

Edited by Bone

Hi Marc,

my setup only consist of an Aker and an mp3 player.

As the Aker has two input channels (one for the mic), I use the other one to plug in an old mp3 player. I have the imperial march and different chatter files on it (you will find the files in the members only section of the 501st page after you were approved for membership).

I adjusted the mp3 player to be considerably lower than my voice.

I wear my aker around my neck under my breastplate, and believe me, the radio chatter is loud enough to interfere a communication with guests or other TKs.

You don't want that inside your helmet!

(Besides the whirring of the fan in your helmet alone may be enough to seriously impair your hearing, you don't need anything else ...)

Thanks for the heads up! I can't seem to find any files. Went looking but no joy, which is why I was attempting to make my own. Do you have a link?

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up! I can't seem to find any files. Went looking but no joy, which is why I was attempting to make my own. Do you have a link?

Like he said, it's in the 501st members section. Which means you don't yet have permission to see it. But you don't need audio in your helmet to get membership, so focus on that first and get the files later.
  • Like 3

Does anyone know if these split rivets the correct type and size for the kidney / ab plate?

18d02fb3efc1d862bf414b613ec176e7.jpg

May I suggest these or something similar - http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/34902-centurion-level-rivet-sets-for-sale/

Hey Marc in addition to what Bone has mentioned I also have an "in helmet" audio system that you can input mp3 audio, TK chatter or other and play it out speakers mounted in your helmet. If you're interested in knowing more send me a PM.

It is looking good so far.  Kudos for looking for the rivets and wanting to make the kit better.  Being a newbie myself, I have no experience with an FX other than watching builds like yours.  Keep on going and let me learn more.

I had not really thought that much about an amp system and hearing inside the bucket, but now you have me thinking. It seems to me that I've seen an amp system for us to hear better, using a microphone inside one of the Hovi mic aerator tips, in bucket amp and a ear piece.  Gotta go see where that was...

Let me be the first to say that your E-11 looks amazing!  And that display stand is so simple, but so functional.  Nice work!  :duim:

Keep going, Marc!

• Like 1