Anovos Helmet Rebuild

AMAZEBALLS JOB! I'm following this now as I'm doing mine!

Question: when painting the black boarders, are you freehanding that with a brush? You mentioned using various items as a 'stencil', but not sure if you used one of those Paint Pen things? Or if it was a brush, was it firmer brisels? I've had to re-do the borders several times, so figured it's time to ask what your secret was :)

Anybody tried the screws for holding the cover plates on for electrical outlets and switches?

I will have to look as some this weekend. They appear to be the correct size, are tapered, have a flat slot and come with white heads from the factory.

Hey Steve! I thought I'd show you my finished helmet following your methods. It's an ESB, but the principles still apply! Thanks again for this thread!

1c4647699161f79ab5d4d6f090d18ce7.jpg

\m/

• Like 2

Anybody tried the screws for holding the cover plates on for electrical outlets and switches?

I will have to look as some this weekend. They appear to be the correct size, are tapered, have a flat slot and come with white heads from the factory.

I just picked some up today in 1/2" and 1" lengths. The heads are 6.4mm dia. so I think this is pretty darn close since the 3.5mm unicorns are so hard to find,...this should work until the unicorns can be obtained.

I will post pictures once I get them changed out.

Sent from my Imperial communicator using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I just picked some up today in 1/2" and 1" lengths. The heads are 6.4mm dia. so I think this is pretty darn close since the 3.5mm unicorns are so hard to find,...this should work until the unicorns can be obtained.

I will post pictures once I get them changed out.

I have a source for M3.5 but only 30mm long. There's shorter ones on evilBay but I think they will be too short.
  • Like 1

Hey Steve! I thought I'd show you my finished helmet following your methods. It's an ESB, but the principles still apply! Thanks again for this thread!

1c4647699161f79ab5d4d6f090d18ce7.jpg

\m/

Not sure if it's worthy of Centurion, I think you should bring it by the house for further inspection and possible confiscation if I see fit the need to review it for a few days   :laugh1:

Excellent work  :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

• Like 1

Not sure if it's worthy of Centurion, I think you should bring it by the house for further inspection and possible confiscation if I see fit the need to review it for a few days :laugh1:

Excellent work :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

Oh man, for a second I thought you were telling me I needed to start over. Please stop giving me heart attacks Tony! Lol

\m/

This helmet looks fantastic! Sorry if I missed the answer to this somewhere, but... where did you get the gray foam you used on the interior? I have looked everywhere locally and all I can find is white foam.

Yes, they do look smaller on the Anovos helmet. They probably use the more common M3 screws instead of the correct sized M3.5 screws.

So a question about the screws again, not to hijack this thread for too long Steve sorry. In the following image are three screws, the far left is M4, far right is M3, in the middle and in between the other sizes is a 6/32 brass. Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears to be equivalent to a M3.5m which just so happens to look similar the starwars.com buckets shown above in a previous post and shown below in my helmet.

20160309_151235.jpg

IMG_7414.jpg

Going by what Paul mentioned earlier this can't be the correct size. Then something dawned on me, M3, M4 or (6)/32 represents the shank width mentioned above, not the head width that's in question. So I dug a little deeper and headed to my local hardware store and guess what I found, 3 of the same size bolts from what appeared to be from the same manufacturer. Though they were all had exact shank and thread pitched screws, the heads slightly deferred from one another, as much as 1-2mm. 

The million dollar question is who made the original screws and are they still being made by the same manufacturer, to the exact size specifications, every time. If they're not then anything within 1-2mm (screw head OD not shank size) of M3, M3.5 or 6/32 should be considered screen accurate.  

Any thought and/or should we move this to it's own thread?

I use 6/32 on my helmets and they look the correct size when compared to the movie helmets, so you might be right that 3.5 is the shank and not the head size.

Mark (AP)

Exactly. The head size is up to the manufacturer and/or its process,  it has nothing to do with the shank size.

• Like 3

Exactly. The head size is up to the manufacturer and/or its process,  it has nothing to do with the shank size.

There are DIN specifications that do specify the head sizes, washer thickness and so on.

My M3.5 are DIN963. Which you can look at here: http://www.fullermetric.com/technical/information/din_specifications/specification_din963.aspx

M3.5 head size should be 6.5mm if they are DIN compliant.

There are DIN specifications that do specify the head sizes, washer thickness and so on.

My M3.5 are DIN963. Which you can look at here: http://www.fullermetric.com/technical/information/din_specifications/specification_din963.aspx

Thanks, this helps as the 3.5mm ddim.=6.5mm

The electrical plate factory painted screws have smaller heads, around 6.2mm and have a more oval head than a true countersink angle.(now what do I do with these?...into the drawer they go)

The #6-32 brass slotted screws I picked up are dead on 6.5mm, and sit more flush...just have to paint them.  :lightemperor:

Very good info, thanks for providing this Chris. Assuming Fuller is the manufacturer of the OT TK brass screw, these specs will be very useful. 

I have a question for you experienced folks:
What do you use to remove excess CA?

I am following this while rebuilding my helmet and I was able to use the existing brow trim to reach across to fully cover both traps. Some trimming was required but no real stretching, so I just glued it back in place. The first time I used a few small dabs of E6000, but it didn't hold well to the rubber. So the next time I used gel super glue but later noticed a small spot where I didn't clean off the excess. I guess I can buff it out but  I wondered if acetone , goof-off, or similar would do the trick without damaging the helmet finish.
Thanks in advance for any tips at all!

Edited by BDWC

I have a question for you experienced folks:

What do you use to remove excess CA?

I am following this while rebuilding my helmet and I was able to use the existing brow trim to reach across to fully cover both traps. Some trimming was required but no real stretching, so I just glued it back in place. The first time I used a few small dabs of E6000, but it didn't hold well to the rubber. So the next time I used gel super glue but later noticed a small spot where I didn't clean off the excess. I guess I can buff it out but  I wondered if acetone , goof-off, or similar would do the trick without damaging the helmet finish.

Thanks in advance for any tips at all!

Acetone dissolves ABS, so I'd skip that one.

I've read goof-off helps, but haven't tried it. Generally just rubbing it with a cloth has worked for me, without needing any chemical assistance.

Edited by kman

Thanks kman

I made the mistake of getting industrial strength goof-off and that melted the ABS as well.

Luckily, I tried it on a scrap piece first!

Edited by BDWC
  • Like 1

I did a test fit of the M3.5 screws I purchased last night and have now got the image.

25543483490_4a05bf3020_z.jpg

Testing the fit of the M3.5 screws by Christopher Pearson, on Flickr

They look right to me and fit the pre-drilled holes nicely.  The shafts are bigger than the supplied screws.

I got mine here, they also do the matching brass nuts and washers, you want the metric course nuts (that confused me a bit and I had to google about a bit to work out if I wanted course or fine).  Delivery was pretty fast but no idea if that's helpful to anyone out side the UK.

http://www.spaldingfasteners.co.uk/metric-brass-countersunk-slotted-head-machine-screws-m3-m4-m6/

• Like 1

Nope it doesn't remove the paint or nope i can't polish it as is?

I was wondering the exact same thing...  

Thanks for clarifying this, Tony.  ;)