Anovos FOTK retail helmet - Legion approved?

Hey guys, first time builder here. I've got a FOTK suit on order from jimmiroquai, and I'm collecting a bunch of notes and references on building until he gets through the 80 odd people ahead of myself on his queue. I'm just wondering if the Anovos commercial release FO bucket meets the CRL requirements for Legion approval, or if anyone using it has had it approved - I'd like to know ahead of when I need to put down payment on the suit if I need to add his helmet to my order to work with rather than the Anovos one.

Additionally, someone in my local garrison forum has said that in order to be approved as an FO trooper you must already be a member of the Legion with an approved costume. Is there any truth to this? I find it hard to believe given that I've seen some folks that I don't believe had access to the pre-release kits get approved as FO troopers; probably a stupid question but just curious. 

I'm just wondering if the Anovos commercial release FO bucket meets the CRL requirements for Legion approval, or if anyone using it has had it approved

Additionally, someone in my local garrison forum has said that in order to be approved as an FO trooper you must already be a member of the Legion with an approved costume. Is there any truth to this? I find it hard to believe given that I've seen some folks that I don't believe had access to the pre-release kits get approved as FO troopers; probably a stupid question but just curious.

I'm not aware of anyone having one of their commercial helmets approved as yet.

You only need to be an approved member to purchase the kit from Anovos. Any one can get a FO trooper approved, member or not.

• Like 1

The plastic ANOVOS FO trooper helmet is supposed to be identical to the fiberglass one save for the different material, so I don't see why it wouldn't be approvable.

As for the second question, nearly everyone with the ANOVOS FO armor is already 501st, as we were the only ones who were allowed to purchase what ANOVOS is calling the "Marketing Kit". Having said that, I know for a fact that there are a few non-501st members who - usually via a secondhand deal - have acquired the costumes. Don't know of any who have been approved for 501st with them, though.

• Like 1

Let me clarify - by approved costume, I think that user meant an existing approved costume other than the FO trooper (Standard TK, Clone, etc). That bit of info seemed sketchy to me; likely they got mixed up with the requirement for getting the marketing kit. From your answers I'm fairly positive I'll be in the clear, just wanted to double check. Thank you all! 

Edited by lztybrn

The plastic ANOVOS FO trooper helmet is supposed to be identical to the fiberglass one save for the different material, so I don't see why it wouldn't be approvable.

As for the second question, nearly everyone with the ANOVOS FO armor is already 501st, as we were the only ones who were allowed to purchase what ANOVOS is calling the "Marketing Kit". Having said that, I know for a fact that there are a few non-501st members who - usually via a secondhand deal - have acquired the costumes. Don't know of any who have been approved for 501st with them, though.

There are some differences-- the color is different, the mic-tip is oriented in a different direction, and a couple of shaping differences likely as a result of the injection-molding process. But yeah, I don't see anything so drastic you wouldn't be able to at least get Level 1 approval.

• Like 1

There are some differences-- the color is different, the mic-tip is oriented in a different direction, and a couple of shaping differences likely as a result of the injection-molding process. But yeah, I don't see anything so drastic you wouldn't be able to at least get Level 1 approval.

Is the color difference drastic enough that the Anovos helmet would need to be repainted to match the fiberglass kit, or would that same tone be fine for the whole suit? I already sent an e-mail to Anovos to get the Pantone color they used for the plastic helmet so that my armor will match, and I'm already in progress on 3D modeling and printing a replacement mic-tip to swap out the stock one with, so that can be matched to reference for the correct orientation

Given the nature of the FO TK armor, I'd imagine it would be much easier to paint the kit to match the helmet. As for your initial questions, I'm in agreement with Brian on the ability of the ANOVOS commercial bucket to be approved. <br><br>

In answer to your second question, I with Glen in saying that you do not have to be a Legion member to submit a FO TK costume for Legion approval, and there has already been at least one jimmiroquai FO TK approved in the Legion. ;)<br><br>

Good luck!!

• Like 1

Here is a few quick shots of the 2 different helmets Anovos has offered side by side.

I don't see any good reasons why the cheaper one wouldn't be approved and it's likely the one I will be going for my approval with.

24177974274_b67e8b85d2_c.jpg

24712663241_4fa873344e_c.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah, the only major variations on the fiberglass version I can see is that the angle on the mesh stripe is less pronounced and slightly thinner, the chin is a bit higher, the temple area is less angled and doesn't flare out as much, and the inset line running across the brow and between the two ends of the neck stripe is not as prominent. jimmiroquai's take on the helmet shares more in common with the ABS version than the fiberglass, so I think I'll stick with the Anovos head when I submit for approval