LoneRanger's ESB TK Build

Hello everyone! First timer right here, prepare for an overwhelming amount of NEWNESS! And questions, let's not forget the questions.

I previously posted this in the wrong area, sorry 'bout that.

So I got a helmet from ATA Works. Love the helmet, but I built it before joining up here. I wish now I'd joined up and asked loads of questions. Instead I just followed a tutorial to the best of my ability. The ears are definitely messed up, luckily I have spares. Everything else, I have taken care of. I've got to go back and redo some paint, as well as get the stripes off and apply the decals I have.

*Prepare for cringing, probably.*

http://puu.sh/mUorp/4b8d4f2bb2.jpg

http://puu.sh/mUoto/d78319ae69.jpg

http://puu.sh/mUovE/780c3bc613.jpg

http://puu.sh/mUox1/26dacce5eb.jpg

http://puu.sh/mUoyT/c22a8814e6.jpg

I have no idea how to properly post pictures, my deepest apologies.

I do not have any armor yet, I am on the waiting list to get mine in March. When that comes, I will continue this thread for sure. For now, I wish to finish on my helmet. Any and all help is most appreciated!

If anyone has some tips on what I could do to make the helmet better, please share! It's appreciated. Thank you for reading!

You have the jpegs done already.  Just use the Image icon above and cut and paste your jpegs.

I'm not sure why its sideways.   

Edited by Haribon72

Nice work so far. It's really coming along!!! A couple things that you will need a little touch up on. First, your frown pain should be limited to the teeth alone. The way you have it is more like ROTJ.  Secondly, the details on the helmet for the exception of the ear rank bar area were all decals. Front, rear traps, tears and tube stripes were all decals that you can purchase here:https://trooperbay.com/esb-helmet-decals.html

I've ordered the decals, thanks for that link. Going to be a couple days, so I'll just work on fixing everything else. I've spent the past half hour carefully scraping the frown's paint off. Going to redo it tomorrow, and I'm going to sand off those horrendous stripes. And then there's the matter of the ears....

My gosh this is fun. Wish I'd done this sooner!

Update! I squared out the teeth and repainted the frown. How does this look? Better? Worse? I'll need to sand it, of course. As soon as I can figure out where I left my sand paper..

9ce781bbea.jpg

Edited by TheLoneRanger

Update yet again! My holster arrived today, so that's another thing checked off my to-do list!

Helmet✓ (Partially done, waiting for decals.)
Armor
Boots
Gloves✓
Neck Seal✓
Under Suit✓
Canvas Belt✓
Holster✓
Blaster
Voice Amplifier✓
Thermal Detonator clips

Edited by TheLoneRanger

• 1 month later...

Sorry for no updates in a while, been busy with work and life plus I've generally just been lurking around staring at everyone else's topics.

So, update news! Still no armor, it should be next month. Fingers crossed! I do have everything else I will need, minus snaps and rivets. Those are soon to come too.

I just have a few questions.

1. How long does it generally take to build armor?

2. How many tubes of e6000 will I need? I have one tube, but the voice in my head is telling me that won't be enough.

3. I have 10 Earth magnets, will that be enough?

It took me 5 months but It really depends on how much time you put in to it and in some cases how much extra work is required shims and e6000 drying take time. <br>

As for e6000 I went through 2. I did interior cover strips and I had a decent amount of rework and shims on the thighs.<br>

10 magnets workable, that's what I had, but during certain times I wanted more. To get through I used clamps, painters tape and other jigs to get by.

Edited by Trogdor
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

BIG BROWN BOX DAY HAS FINALLY ARRIVED!

c0777778be.jpg

So of course, I immediately set to work unpacking it, all the while giggling with glee.

271ef39333.jpg

This is going to be fun, I can tell already. What do you guys suggest is the best to start with?

Edited by TheLoneRanger
  • Like 1

So I am incredibly nervous to start. I've been examining the various pieces, and I think I'll just start off by painting the buttons and such until I've settled a bit. There's so much to do..

Edited by TheLoneRanger

I'm going to start on the helmet first, since I already built the one. And I've already come across something odd.

19da7f9a98.jpg

The curve on the back is sgnificantly larger than the front. Will this go away when I screw the two halves together?

Due to the helmet's oddness, I decided to instead go the route of doing the forearms first. I've trimmed one pair, and want to know if I did it right.

cf1498f76e.jpg

I fit it to my arm, marked the seam, and cut. Trimmed is on the left, untrimmed is on the right.

I'm going to start on the helmet first, since I already built the one. And I've already come across something odd.

19da7f9a98.jpg

The curve on the back is sgnificantly larger than the front. Will this go away when I screw the two halves together?

I had a similar issue with mine. I lined up the brow and then placed magnets there to hold it in place. I then bolted each side just above the tube where the ear would then cover the bolt. This pulled the tube closer. The ear should cover it and hide any gap. You can also pull it taught when you fit the final bottom ear screw.

19da7f9a98.jpg

I had a similar issue with mine. I lined up the brow and then placed magnets there to hold it in place. I then bolted each side just above the tube where the ear would then cover the bolt. This pulled the tube closer. The ear should cover it and hide any gap. You can also pull it taught when you fit the final bottom ear screw.

19da7f9a98.jpg

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

Due to the helmet's oddness, I decided to instead go the route of doing the forearms first. I've trimmed one pair, and want to know if I did it right.

cf1498f76e.jpg

I fit it to my arm, marked the seam, and cut. Trimmed is on the left, untrimmed is on the right.

It looks good. It maybe worth assembling it and then post a pic with it on.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

cf1498f76e.jpg

It looks good. Don't forget to remove the return edge at the cuff end. It might also be worth assembling it and posting a pic with it on.

cf1498f76e.jpg

It looks good. Don't forget to remove the return edge at the cuff end. It might also be worth assembling it and posting a pic with it on.