Original wire strapping system vs. strap/snap plate - Opinion?

I just ordered a TM ANH Hero TK from Paul and likely going to assemble using the original wire strapping system but I wanted to get others thoughts on this method vs. strapping and snap plate method. 

Please let me know what you think the pros and cons are for each from those who've used them. 

Christina

I would assume using snaps would be more durable with extensive use. Keep in mind the screw heads are visible on the underside of the chest plate and back/kidney plates and you risk pulling through the plastic. It's cool because it's original and if you're restoring a car to original condition, that's what you do. I guess the TM armor fits the bill. Good luck with your decision!

I've been wondering the same thing. I think I'll go with snap plates made from webbing, glued on an additional plate of ABS with a cutout for the head of the snap (so that the "back" of the snap doesn't touch the armor, and the snap-plate lies flat.)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Although Locitus so very charmingly gave you a list with all the threads concerning this topic, I still like to chime in.

As you know I wear a TM with the original strapping (and only that one, so I can't speak on the behalf of the snapplate rigging) and I am 100% satisfied.

First of all, for me it was the idea of dong it "correctly", like Troopermaster Paul says so often.

Screen accurate.

Yes, you will see the screws beneath the breast plate and in the back.

But that's the trick and it only shows that you emphasize the "A new Hope"-ness of your costume.

No bystander will ever notice them, but you know that they are there and for a reason.

(I have read threads where Troopers built their armor with snaps and elastics but still build in the screws, just for the look of it.)

Will it move better? Will it be more comfortable?

Honestly, I don't know.

Is it durable?

Yes. (although I have to confess that I lost a screw during a troop and my a ss began to droop.)

So far the only hole in my armor that tore off the plastic, was in the back of my shins (I use the bra-clip-method.), but not the screws of the brackets ...

I went the easy route and ordered the strapping set from Paul. Everything (!) is included and it makes installing a breeze.

It took me an afternoon and my armour was strapped.

No plastic cutting, plate drilling, webbing gluing, adjusting and snap installing.

The bracket method is more or less fool-proof, too.

BUT ...

The biggest disadvantage is, that once strapped with the brackets method, you can't take it apart easily for transportation.

You are stuck with a complete torso.

So now it is up to you ...

Edited by Bone
  • Like 2