Suspenders out of fashion?

Stutz

Been focusing on TD for a while now, but getting back into the clean white scene with a new build.

Ive been going through a lot of WIP threads, and I've noticed a dearth of suspenders used for the strapping system. Back in the day, common practice seemed to be suspenders holding up the ab/cod and kidney/butt, then the chest and back free floating (maybe with elastic connecting the chest to the back on the sides).

The new trend seems to be connecting the chest/ab/cod and the back/kidney/butt all as a single unit.

Is anyone still using suspenders? Why the change? Would love to hear everyone's opinions.

Edited by Stutz

Suspenders are indeed totally out fashion nowadays because it's not accurate, and it doesn't work necessarily better than the accurate strapping system.

Also using the accurate strapping way tends to give better result with the outside look of your armor because the parts will be nicely stacked one upon each other with no gaps or overlaps, which is a Centurion requirement.

I still use suspenders... I don't mind it. Not sure about the stacked look, as it can be achieved with suspenders too. If you're going for Centurion though, suspenders are out of the question. EIB from what I've read and understood, can still be attained with them.

Suspenders are indeed totally out fashion nowadays because it's not accurate, and it doesn't work necessarily better than the accurate strapping system.

Also using the accurate strapping way tends to give better result with the outside look of your armor because the parts will be nicely stacked one upon each other with no gaps or overlaps, which is a Centurion requirement.

Didn't hurt mine at all. Suspenders break the weight into thirds. Garter belt , suspenders, and torso one piece changes where you get sore after an hour.

I still use suspenders... I don't mind it. Not sure about the stacked look, as it can be achieved with suspenders too. If you're going for Centurion though, suspenders are out of the question. EIB from what I've read and understood, can still be attained with them.

No suspenders for centurion?

I'd better turn my certificate in then...

I use suspenders.  accuracy has little to do with the internal hardware. the external look is most important.

not everyone is the correct body size.

suspenders give troopers with body challenges the option for a custom fit.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392
  • Like 1

I still use suspenders in my builds. I find it actually helps with comfort and mobility but that's just my opinion. Screen used armor didn't have them but not everyone builds armor the same way. Just do what works for you.

Using a braces (suspenders) system leaves you with two obvious problems:

1. The back "OII" and kidney plates are prone to overlapping. This leaves you with an incorrect look on the OUTSIDE of the armour. Original suits are connected flush in this position. The connection prevents them from overlapping.

2. The chest and back "OII" are not connected to anything and thus prone to flapping. This is why it was also standard practice "back in the day" (of braces) to add elastic at the sides to connect the chest and back and keep them in place. Another EXTERNALLY visible inaccurate feature, not seen on orginal armour.

I agree that the what the insides of the armour look like is of secondary importance, however the use of braces a solution is a big hinderance to recreating the look of the original stormtrooper on the OUTSIDE of your costume.

• Like 3

I use suspenders. accuracy has little to do with the internal hardware. the external look is most important.

not everyone is the correct body size.

suspenders give troopers with body challenges the option for a custom fit.

I use suspenders. I needed to change since I am more pear shape. Works great.

I use suspenders too. If you attach everything correctly you won't get overlap or flapping. For me it keeps everything in place and takes the strain off of the armor. When you are trooping for 5+ hours at a time it helps keep things comfortable. Also you can leave that other accurate accessory at home (gaffers tape). All my parts are attached together with heavy duty elastic and industrial Velcro. Then attached to rugged construction suspenders. It keeps everything in its place extremely well. Custom Tailored to me. I've been trooping in it for years with hardly a repair or an adjustment.

I bet back in the day when they we're filming they never knew who was going to be wearing the armor. Then it only had to stay together a few shots at a time. Assistants with gaffers tape standing at the ready.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Using a braces (suspenders) system leaves you with two obvious problems:

1. The back "OII" and kidney plates are prone to overlapping. This leaves you with an incorrect look on the OUTSIDE of the armour. Original suits are connected flush in this position. The connection prevents them from overlapping.

2. The chest and back "OII" are not connected to anything and thus prone to flapping. This is why it was also standard practice "back in the day" (of braces) to add elastic at the sides to connect the chest and back and keep them in place. Another EXTERNALLY visible inaccurate feature, not seen on orginal armour.

I agree that the what the insides of the armour look like is of secondary importance, however the use of braces a solution is a big hinderance to recreating the look of the original stormtrooper on the OUTSIDE of your costume.

Or, you know,you just attach the torso bits together high enough at the shoulder junction and they can't move too far forward or act without severing your head. And they line up just fine.

Methinks accurate is oft mistaken for a shorter word starting with 'a' .

Cudos for building it with metal bits, in a clamshell, with string, and a juicy fruit actual tin not aluminum wrapper somewhere. But don't declare centurion an impossibility if not done your way. That's gear-mongering...and not trooper helping trooper at all.

That said had I know enough I would likely have done so as well. But a local guy designed a cool mod to strapping to keep the chest outside ab. My eib and centurion thread should still have pics.

• Like 1