Is ANOVOS Classic Storm Trooper Kit 501 Compliant?

No. Or not really. It uses cover strips so just make sure you pick a crl that includes cover strips and the same hand plates. So no rotj or anh hero out of the box. It's supposed to be an anh stunt , but the holster position on the belt is incorrect.

If you changed out the belt, I would think so. It all depends on how it fits you, really. It's not the best out there, but I really can't see anything but the holster attachement to the belt that's so inaccurate that it would hinder you from being approved. But then again, I haven't seen it IRL. You could try to contact your local GML for a proper answer. Also, don't follow the Anovos instructions blindly. They're pretty good, but take a look at the forums here to see alternative methods that might work better for you and/or be more accurate.

No kit is 501st complaint, no matter who makes it. I've seen the most "accurate kits" built wrong and denied for membership, EIB and centurion.

All you can do is purchase, build and submit. At this time there are no restrictions regarding this new kit from anovos, but that could change with time.

Bad idea. If i would buy a licensed armor and 501 would tell me "no chance to join without major changes" - i would immediatly ask Disney how it can happen that they allow unlicensed armor at events while i have to stay out with my licensed one.

Pretty sure such would open a funny can of dancing worms.

That's the same argument I've heard about the Rubies Vader and stormtrooper. 

Just because something is licensed does not mean it's accurate. In fact, it has been my experience that "licensed" correlates "inaccurate".

i would immediatly ask Disney how it can happen that they allow unlicensed armor at events while i have to stay out with my licensed one.

They will tell you that they have no say in what a costume club requires and that they do not make the rules here at the FISD.

But we are really getting ahead of ourselves here. Lets wait until this kit is built and submitted for approval.

• Like 1

Just because its licensed doesn't mean its accurate. Have you seen the Rubies supreme TK? 

Licensing has nothing to do with how accurate it is... and also Disney doesn't control the 501st and doesnt make the rules what is clearable, the LMOs and detachment leaders do that. 

As far as the Anovos being clearable out of the box..id say its just as clearable as any of the other fan made suits, as long as it is assembled properly, and fits you correctly. Basically, just like any other TK suit out there. People have gotten the awful Rubeis cleared as a ROTJ. Took alot of work but its possible. So again, it all depends on the fit/build. 

EDIT: haha Wyatt beat me to some of my points lol

Edited by Darth Voorhees
  • Like 1

Bad idea. If i would buy a licensed armor and 501 would tell me "no chance to join without major changes" - i would immediatly ask Disney how it can happen that they allow unlicensed armor at events while i have to stay out with my licensed one.

Michael you have been very vocal on Anovos armor and you have every right to be. You have the armor and that is what you are proud of.  I have MTK armor and I love it and I'm proud of it even though it is not on the vetted list.  Having said that I wouldn't sit here and make an empty threat that I would call up Mickey Mouse and complain because the boys on the playground said I can't play with them.  It just looks silly.

We are here because we are all plastic spacemen that want to do good for our communities.  If there are changes that need to be made then the powers that be will make them.  If they are changes that you or I or anyone else would have to make, well we would have to make them to participate in this charitable group.  It is all okay in the end.  We all need to work together to make sure that we are the best looking costuming organization in this world. 

• Like 2

I know that all - but i still would stir the pot as much as possible to get Disney acting.

They might not have any say at 501, but with enough customers complaining they might dismiss the 501 and use own Troopers.

And this is too bad to think that someone would actually think this is an option.  There are so many people working hard to try and welcome all of the new members who have joined this forum that have purchased the Anovos armor.  This is not the spirit that anyone should have.  There should be no divide.   

• Like 1

Simple. If the licensed armour is found to be a recast not from the Disney archives. If the quality of the licensed armour is crap and turns into the next rubies or star fortress.

The 501st can certainly say that parts a, b , and c do not meet screen accuracy or that building it a certain way isn't screen accurate for a certain crl.

Buying a licensed baseball bat doesn't guarantee you'll make the team. You make have to take an inch or pine tar off of it, or change the tape colour from yellow to white per league rules.

• Like 1

I know that all - but i still would stir the pot as much as possible to get Disney acting.

They might not have any say at 501, but with enough customers complaining they might dismiss the 501 and use own Troopers.

There is no way that Disney will let 8600 unpaid free pieces of advertising go. However there is every chance i agree that you'll start to see ' ankvos fotk only, or anovos tk preferred.' At Disney sponsored paid events. They can do that. And if a Garrison says no we don't want to go and were telling our members not to go then Disney will shrug and not invite that Garrison. I've seen it in other volunteer organizations from the rpga, stja, and even at school: don't use our crappy electronic tools in class? OK, no free software anymore buy 500 licenses. Guess which crappy ebooks we use.

If I called anyone to complain, it would be the company that I bought the kit from. 

If I bought a rotten can of stiormtrooper yogurt, I would be contacting Yoplait, or the grocery store that I bought it from, not Disney.

I had some stormtrooper yogurt just the other day. It was quite tasty with the Yoda cookies. 

• Like 1

Michael you have been very vocal on Anovos armor and you have every right to be. You have the armor and that is what you are proud of.  I have MTK armor and I love it and I'm proud of it even though it is not on the vetted list.  Having said that I wouldn't sit here and make an empty threat that I would call up Mickey Mouse and complain because the boys on the playground said I can't play with them.  It just looks silly.

We are here because we are all plastic spacemen that want to do good for our communities.  If there are changes that need to be made then the powers that be will make them.  If they are changes that you or I or anyone else would have to make, well we would have to make them to participate in this charitable group.  It is all okay in the end.  We all need to work together to make sure that we are the best looking costuming organization in this world. 

No Steve, your getting something wrong.

I´m against anything upfront to Anovos, cause it would fit some peoples bill/bankaccount. Just wait, atm. i see nothing that would stop this suit from beeing accepted after some minor changes (and even the beltrivets are questionable, as the combination can be seen on screen).

I don´t have my Anovos yet. i´m still waiting. And without having it in hand i havn´t even made up my decision on it, yet. Atm. the more i read i think i´m not impressed, as it still has to much of the wonkyness of the old suits - and i can´t blame them therefor but not the Anovos.

But i might find it acceptable - no matter, i first need to have it in hand to check that myself.

Additional .... "I" is just my generalizing for what people might do when pissed. "I" is not "me", as i don´t plan to join, no matter what suit.

I´m here cause i like stormtroopers, not cause i like costuming.

If I called anyone to complain, it would be the company that I bought the kit from. 

If I bought a rotten can of stiormtrooper yogurt, I would be contacting Yoplait, or the grocery store that I bought it from, not Disney.

I had some stormtrooper yogurt just the other day. It was quite tasty with the Yoda cookies. 

Thats the way if someone wants to complain about the armor itself. I agree.

But the licensing comes from D, - and so the question above should be addressed to them. And if nothing comes from it than having them look closer/different when giving out future licenses, it´s already a good question.

No Steve, your getting something wrong.

I´m against anything upfront to Anovos, cause it would fit some peoples bill/bankaccount. Just wait, atm. i see nothing that would stop this suit from beeing accepted after some minor changes (and even the beltrivets are questionable, as the combination can be seen on screen).

I don´t have my Anovos yet. i´m still waiting. And without having it in hand i havn´t even made up my decision on it, yet. Atm. the more i read i think i´m not impressed, as it still has to much of the wonkyness of the old suits - and i can´t blame them therefor but not the Anovos.

But i might find it acceptable - no matter, i first need to have it in hand to check that myself.

Additional .... "I" is just my generalizing for what people might do when pissed. "I" is not "me", as i don´t plan to join, no matter what suit.

I´m here cause i like stormtroopers, not cause i like costuming.

Well Michael thanks for clearing some of that up.  Unfortunately there are many people being influenced by the things they are reading lately whether for the good or for the bad.  I cannot read minds so therefore when i see you writing the words "I," I am comprehending what I read and that means you are saying this about yourself.  I just hope that no one else felt the same as me and taking this for a real statement.

Thanks to The 501st Legion for helping to clarify their costume approval process. Fans are not required to build their own costumes, but membership is based upon accuracy of parts as well as how the costume fits the wearer. If you're considering an ‪#‎ANOVOS‬ Star Wars costume with the intention of joining the ‪#‎501st‬, please read this post!

The 501st Legion

You've likely seen the new Star Wars costumes coming from ANOVOS and there are a lot of questions regarding what will be "501st approved" in terms of applying for‪#‎501st‬ membership. We certainly appreciate the interest in membership and are always looking for more costumed fans to spread the love of ‪#‎StarWars‬ and serve the community through charity work! It is important to understand that approvals in the Legion are based upon several factors including accurate components and proper fit of the overall costume. As such, approvals are done on a case-by-case basis when an individual's photos are submitted through membership liaisons so there is no such thing as a costume that is guaranteed for approval—even a costume purchased from a fellow fan that was already approved may be subject to review when worn on a different person. What we can tell you is that less-accurate "off the shelf" costumes have been approved with the proper modifications, so it is entirely within the realm of possibility that the new ‪#‎ANOVOS‬ items could be used as the basis for membership. Also note that the images revealed thus far are prototypes and therefore subject to change. We hope this helps to clarify our membership process, particularly as it pertains to licensed costumes. Read more about membership here:http://bit.ly/eeFqCC

Yeah, sorry - my english is not so good. I should have written something like "I can imagine that the affected customers" ..... or something that way.

I think I understood you, and considered your remark as hypothetical only.I didn't think you were really going to call the mouse.

No kit is 501st complaint, no matter who makes it. I've seen the most "accurate kits" built wrong and denied for membership, EIB and centurion.

in what way were they built wrong, im getting an RS kit to build and that post just made a bit nervous lol

• Like 1

in what way were they built wrong, im getting an RS kit to build and that post just made a bit nervous lol

Don't be nervous. You're in the right place to learn.

The best thing is for you to carefully watch the many build threads and learn from those who have gone before you. If you'd like to see both what to do and not to do, look at the centurion application forum. You will see many example of very well built suits--but even on those, occasionally small details need to be corrected before approved. In fact, a lot of the same small issues tend to repeat, so you can learn a lot by studying them and not making the same small mistakes.

I'm sure with your research and help from others here, you will do great.

Edited by cedron

Simply being seen on screen does not automatically mean that it (whatever "it" is) is part of the 501st Legion CRL standards. Gaffer tape is seen on screen. No tube stripes is seen on screen. No drop boxes. Too many drop boxes.

There are plenty of examples of things seen on screen-used Stormtroopers that are not included in our CRLs. We are not a prop replication club, we are a costuming club. You can continue to say that the belt rivets are questionable, but really, they aren't. They are a standard here for our costuming standards only. Not a direct representation of what was seen on screen. Two different things entirely.

As Wyatt said, there is no such thing, anywhere, as an off-the-shelf road map to membership in the 501st Legion. If you want to join, your energy is best spent researching here, and using the resources available here to guide you during your build. The FISD is the road map to membership, not kit A, or kit B.

• Like 4