What do you do as a TK at conventions?

Thanos

Just curious as to what you do, as a TK or other Star Wars character, at conventions that has turned out well? What must you NOT do? :D

Serious and silly replies are both okay B) .

Just curious as to what you do, as a TK or other Star Wars character, at conventions that has turned out well? What must you NOT do? :D

Serious and silly replies are both okay B) .

Why... look for droids, rebel scum, and blast people.. of course!

;)

I'm looking forward to just getting my armor... after that a walk in the neighborhood will be fun.

rogue4ngel said:
Why... look for droids, rebel scum, and blast people.. of course!

;)

I'm looking forward to just getting my armor... after that a walk in the neighborhood will be fun.

Yeah, you should never reveal your face, it sort of ruins the mystery and coolness factor imo :). Not even if you are really good looking, unlike the guy that reveals his face to that Triumph the dog, think most people have seen that video :), it's everywhere.

Here it is anyway: -------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I thing a big no no is to take your helmet off in the public eye. Unless you look just like mark hamill or harrison ford!

cheers

I think that's more on a garrison by garrison level. If you're at a con on your own, what you do is up to you. If you're representing your garrison, you need to abide by 501st and your local garrison norms. Some garrisons are pretty rigid, others loose.

I'd say perhaps the best thing is never do something in public that you don't want showing up on Youtube.

I'd say perhaps the best thing is never do something in public that you don't want showing up on Youtube.

Well, I for one are not gonna show my face, but I'm hoping to be on youtube :) as I will do funny stuff. Gonna get a buddy to record me while I go to macdonalds and order food, gonna ride a bus, people will be like, wtf? I'm gonna scare kids and hump stuff.

I think that's more on a garrison by garrison level. If you're at a con on your own, what you do is up to you. If you're representing your garrison, you need to abide by 501st and your local garrison norms. Some garrisons are pretty rigid, others loose.

I second that. It really does depend on the particular con and the local garrison's culture. At Shevacon, which is Garrison Tyranus' "home" convention, it's not uncommon to see us (TK and otherwise) with buckets off when we're just hanging out at our fan table. At other times, droid hunts or guard duty for example, buckets definitely stay on. Other garrisons may be more strict.

For me, it's mostly about just having a good time and interacting with the other convention attendees. :D

That's a great way to get tossed out of the Legion, or ensure you never get in.

Yeah, I know and will not risk it. I will be a calm and cool stormtrooper. Hoping for people to come up to me and take photos and stuff... but riding a bus I will have to do sometimes.

I love doing guard duty , seeing how many people I can make jump when they finally work out that there is actually someone in the suit .Depends on the event as to weather we keep our buckets on . Most events we do , but there are times when they come off . Our squad has done a number of charity walks (8km and 15km ) and the buckets come off every now and then for these . The full day events are also a bit less strict , unless there is somewhere to go that is out of the public eye .

Well, I for one are not gonna show my face, but I'm hoping to be on youtube :) as I will do funny stuff. Gonna get a buddy to record me while I go to macdonalds and order food, gonna ride a bus, people will be like, wtf? I'm gonna scare kids and hump stuff.

McDonalds = good

Ride a bus = good

Scare kids = not so good if done intentionally; remember we want to represent a positive image of Star Wars and what it brings to our lives

Hump stuff = definitely not in public!

Dance, sing, help old ladies across the street, walk a dog,...just always remember that as long as you are in armor, you represent a franchise that has brought great joy to many thousands of people for 30 years. It takes years to build a positive reputation and only seconds to destroy it.

Another thing I love is when at the start of the day there is a little kid who is scared to death of you , and at the end of the day is your best friend in the world . Nothing like it :)

That video was halarious!

Ironclaw said:
Yeah, you should never reveal your face, it sort of ruins the mystery and coolness factor imo :).

Here it is anyway:  --------------

Edited by gmrhodes13

I made a beret just for the sole purpose of getting out of the helmet for most of the time. I plan to wear the helmet when in the spotlight and on duty and such of course.

I figure the best thing is to be friendly and fun, couple of imperial arrests here and there cant hurt.

Humping is usually overly friendly....

I like to stand guard duty and watch people go by, giving them nods, waves etc. I also like waving at kids and shaking their hands while I'm patrolling around. I obviously like standing at a choke point and tell people to "move along" that always gets a smile. And finally I love pushing my kids around in the stroller. It gives mom a break and puts me in an everyday situation that people find humorous.

Sweat. Alot.

I dont hump things. <_<

Doing the "daily Troops" can be cool, just remember the States have diffrent feel to them. I really didn't have any fun when I did that stateside. Felt like I was a target the whole time. Now thats diffrent in Japan.

What you do in armor is a reflection upon the group as a whole, and the messing with kids and humping thing comment is just bad karma. Not good man.

High-five little kids, and....DANCE.

You wanna see people's faces light up? Dance in armor. Not crazy, just boogie in place for a while and watch people lunge for their cameras... ^_^

High-five little kids, and....DANCE.

You wanna see people's faces light up? Dance in armor. Not crazy, just boogy in place for a while and watch people lunge for their cameras... ^_^

That's my thing, making people giggle. I'll dance a bit... not saying I'm a dancer, just moving around a bit as it's entertaining to watch a stormtrooper do these things.

behold my uber groove.

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13

I like to stand guard duty and watch people go by, giving them nods, waves etc. I also like waving at kids and shaking their hands while I'm patrolling around. I obviously like standing at a choke point and tell people to "move along" that always gets a smile. And finally I love pushing my kids around in the stroller. It gives mom a break and puts me in an everyday situation that people find humorous.

Riding elevators while in armor is great! It's always makes me grin under by bucket when I'm standing guard in the elevator, the door opens, and some unsuspecting civilian gets in. First there's the look of utter shock, a bit of fear, then the slow smile, then the camera comes out, and finally the fellow rider departs grinning ear to ear. I love it! :D

I try to entertain people by asking if they've seen a couple of droids, a princess, rebel scum, a wookie, etc.. lurking about and to report them immediately. Sometimes I'll make sarcastic remarks that gets a chuckle. A Canadian couple told me once that they had a tough time with US customs at the border and I commented on the dangers of fascism. They just started laughing their heads off because here they were listening about those dangers from someone dressed as an enforcer of fascist values in a sci-fi setting.

Riding elevators while in armor is great! It's always makes me grin under by bucket when I'm standing guard in the elevator, the door opens, and some unsuspecting civilian gets in. First there's the look of utter shock, a bit of fear, then the slow smile, then the camera comes out, and finally the fellow rider departs grinning ear to ear. I love it! :D

I can agree with htis one, one time some friends and I one time during a "Klingon Jail & Bail" one time crowded onto and elevator and rode it for a little bit, the looks on civilians faces seeing three 200+lb Klingons in the elevator was simply priceless...and I can't count the number of people who simply sat there and stammered in hushed tones how they would wait for the next elevator...LMAO

amen on slowly making a friend over the course of the day, I've been there.

I've been to San Diego Comic-Con each year since 2002 and it's not uncommon to see a small army of unhelmeted troops at the 501st table/booth. Generally away from the table they will have their helmets on. You do see biker scouts unhelmeted more because they can wear their armor all day and still attend panels etc while sitting (so can't wait to finish my TB). (which I think is fine, it's a con, it's obvious that you're just a fan in a costume, as opposed to a gig where you're there to create an experience)

But at SDCC I've always just sort of gravitated towards the Hasbro booth. They usually have a nice display or photo op set-piece for the folks to take their pics, many of us hang around there to be on hand for photo ops. Otherwise I just pace the con floor. It was more fun as Fett because he's not as common. I think that, in my experience, at cons the stormtroopers are pretty common and people are not as impressed as they are with other costumes. Don't get me wrong, people still love it, but remember that a good percentage of con-goers were there the previous year and saw all the troopers then too :)

The kids always love it.

I agree also that a walk around the block in the US really just makes you a target. I first got my armor when I was 19 (9 years ago, ah!) and my first 'troop' was around the block with my mom as my wrangler. We weren't out on the street for 5 minutes before a car drove by and yelled "hey you f*g!"

The only other time I trooped around the block some teens stopped and took pics with me and just when I was starting to think they were pretty cool they decided that I and my friends must know where they could score some weed... Just because a guy wears stormtrooper armor doesn't mean he's on drugs :)

I agree that on other troops where you are in public it is not cool to take your helmet off. Find a room or at least go into a corner and hide your face if you MUST take your helmet off. Nothing about trooping irritates me more than seeing a fellow trooper just take their helmet off right in the middle of a gig, in front of the public.

Actually, one thing upsets me more. Seeing a costumer unhelmeted and SMOKING in public. Get real...

Phil