Sentry's ANH Stunt Build [AP]

With the tracking number now received, it is time to start the build thread. :trooper:

Since ordering at the end of September, I have been collecting the other items needed to complete the armor. I also took the time to get my E-11 blaster built and painted. (Many thanks to the several troopers that helped in giving encouragement in that thread, linked in the signature below).

The items collected so far:

other_parts.jpg

Boots: Imperial boots, size 9

Neck Seal: Darman

E-11: Doopydoos resin (plus Gazmosis' mag and T-Jay's completion kit)

Holster: Darman

Belt: TKittell

Gloves: Sonnenschein

Undersuit: Barricade

Items not pictured:

Thigh Garter: Pencap

Hearing Assist: ukswrath

Hovi speakers: ukswrath

TD Clips: AP

I also have my Testors paints, E6000, Lexan scissors, sandpaper, and other assorted tools. I still need to get a respirator and cut-proof gloves.

I know I am missing the elastic and nylon strapping, as well as the snaps, but those items aren't needed to start the journey - just soon after. :)

I look forward to the process, and I thank everyone in advance for any and all suggestions and advice given, in past or future posts.

Edited by Sentry71
  • Like 4

PACKAGE!!!

box.jpg

And inside...

inside_box.jpg

I did have to wait a little while longer due to getting the helmet trimmed, but the wait was well worth it.

pretrim.jpg

I love that everything was packed really well, and I am looking forward to the challenge of putting it all together.

Edited by Sentry71
  • Like 5

First cuts were made tonight. Cutting out the drop boxes seemed straightforward enough, and were completed pretty quickly. Next, I worked a bit on the sniper knee plate. I think I need to take more off of the bottom, though.

drop_box_cut.jpg

Next item that seemed to make sense to tackle was the biceps. As I was following the mold lines for cutting, I realized that I wasn't leaving much of a return edge on the bottom at all. This made me wonder if there are generally accepted rules (not necessarily in the CRL) about what is expected to have a return edge, and what is not. Looking through some Centurion applications, I found several with no return on the bottom of the bicep.

bicep_cut.jpg

I also noticed on Jinsei's thread, that most of the arm parts seem to have no return edge at all (including biceps at top and bottom).

Am I overthinking this?

Edited by Sentry71
update photo links

Turns out I was overthinking it.

I went through several threads, and found that most return edges on the arm sections are minimized or removed altogether. Good to know!

I went through several threads, and found that most return edges on the arm sections are minimized or removed altogether. Good to know!

Did the same to mine as well - looking forward to the rest mate!

• Like 1

Did the same to mine as well - looking forward to the rest mate!

Re- Sniper plate: wait for more trimming, until you can size it to the left shin. <br><br>

Everything is looking good, and congrats on the BBB!

Will do! Thanks for the tip. :)

After getting the return question figured out, I was able to finish up all four bicep pieces, and start on the forearms.

arm_cut.jpg

I think I may still need to take some return off of the outer biceps.

Edited by Sentry71

Trim shoulder bells, and try fitting forearm with them... The tops of forearms should be covered by the shoulder bells, so no one will see the return edge... But I'd follow Pyrate's suggestion. All looks,good, doing well on the progress. Take your time, just a steady pace...

• Like 1

Yesterday, I was able to finish trimming the excess plastic, to get to a "trimmed" set. No sizing has occurred yet, so that will come soon.

With the nice weather today (before it drops 30 F tomorrow), I opened up the windows and got to painting. I think it turned out well, however:

1) I'm not sure if I need to get the black farther into the edges of the impressions, and

2) I am sure the black outlines need to be thinner.

Before I do that, I wanted your opinions. What changes, if any, would you suggest? 

paint_1.jpg

paint_2.jpg

Edited by Sentry71

Here's the most recent photos, including the stripes on the rear trap, and the tears.

Ears are done also, but that photo didn't transfer.

paint_3.jpg

paint_4.jpg

Edited by Sentry71
  • Like 1

I found that the decals didn't quite fit the impressions in the armor to my liking. The left rear trap fit ok, but the right was too big for the space it should have gone into. It is possible I had them backward.

The tears also didn't seem to fit right, as if the decals were slightly too big for the impressions in the armor. Had I taken the time, I probably could have gotten the decals to sit right - I just decided that since I had the paints and the brushes, to give it a shot.

I will say this - if you go with the paints, definitely get a good brush or two. They will make all the difference in your paint application. I picked up a cheap set of the Testors nylon brushes, and promptly ended up throwing them out. I couldn't control the edges of my lines. Instead, I found my paintbrushes from my WH40K miniatures, and used those. They worked much better.

Thanks kindly! I haven't gotten that far yet so it's an awesome heads up. Cheers!

A good set of brushes will go far... I used to paint led miniatures, for Dungeons and Dragons, if anyone remembers those. Lots of fine details, including eyes. Yes, I have a steady hand... All painting, no matter what kind, money on brushes is worth it!

• Like 4