Anovos crooked frown

Someone on Fb just posted this picture of 5 minutes of work he did cleaning up the teeth... Looks pretty good now!!!

Before:

89dfd8afb9f470c0a8d19a9993e83532.jpg

After:

efab70181056088ad1aaa84578b1217d.jpg

i think that helped tons. Looks much better.

Overall i think maybe hey overdid that little bit of wonkyness there... but its not THAT big a deal, especially after seeing what a little trim and touch up paint work can do. I think its fine  :)

Edited by Darth Voorhees
  • Like 3

i think that helped tons. Looks much better.

Overall i think maybe hey overdid that little bit of wonkyness there... but its not THAT big a deal, especially after seeing what a little trim and touch up paint work can do. I think its fine  :)

I'm in the same boat. So with that paint job, would it stand a better chance of centurion approval? I'm thinking of doing the same to mine, but if I need to use some bondo and paint I can make those teeth stick out a little more if needed.

• Like 1

have you seen this stuff? I still have yet to try it, but id think it would work better than bondo on plastic. eventually im going to pick some up and try it out.

YS8IhYa.jpg

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore the image by Sly11, 2020

On 2/2/2016 at 8:23 AM, Darth Voorhees said:

have you seen this stuff? I still have yet to try it, but id think it would work better than bondo on plastic. eventually im going to pick some up and try it out.

On 2/2/2016 at 8:23 AM, Darth Voorhees said:

YS8IhYa.jpg

I used this to fill the seam and also an accidental extra screw hole in my eFx bucket, it worked fine, but it takes a few goes as it seemed to shrink a bit.

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore the image by Sly11, 2020
  • Like 1

But that would take away the super desirable bump in the right eye! Don't get me wrong, I prefer the sanitized way, but there is something magic in an RS helmet, charming with all its imperfections, as the were made... At least as a display. The anovos bucket is something in between, smooth surface but wonky, square and clean teeth but asimetrical mouth and neck... I yet have to make up my mind if I like it or not. Better decide when I hold mine in my hands, and if I can't cope up with the wonkiness... time for modding!

No, it won't have the same effect on the bump as in the pic. I think Paul just meant widening the trimming around the eyes, so the eyesockets do not show a rim against the lenses.

I used this to fill the seam and also an accidental extra screw hole in my eFx bucket, it worked fine, but it takes a few goes as it seemed to shrink a bit.

Where did you find that good sir?

No, it won't have the same effect on the bump as in the pic. I think Paul just meant widening the trimming around the eyes, so the eyesockets do not show a rim against the lenses.

Correct.

Anovos have deepened the eye sockets and trimmed them in an odd way. I simply illustrated a better way to trim them and it would not affect the actual shape of the eye frames in any way. The bump on the eye is only minor so no need to exaggerate it by leaving extra material in the socket.

My first thoughts upon unboxing the bucket were that the corners of the frown were not painted into sharp points, and that the eye sockets seemed to be pretty deep. I feel that painting the frown to be pointy on the ends is a simple fix, I am worried a bit about trying to make the sockets shallower... I'll wait to see if someone else gives it a try first and how it looks. 

I took out a bit of the lopsided frown with some jewelers files. It was the work of about 15min. Makes all the difference in the world. I still wanted it wonky like the originals, just not QUITE as wonky as delivered.
I also sanded off a lot more of the edging that was left on the eyes (not touching the bump on the right eye, of course).

Just a word of warning to anyone disassembling their buckets for any reason:
I was taking mine apart this morning to alter the angle of the faceplate (I'm turning mine into a Sandy), and as I was disassembling it I ran into one ear which was glued at the bottom.
This wasn't the silicone/E6000-like glue that holds the S-seal on the neck. This was most likely superglue.
The first ear came of a treat, when I went to remove the second one I almost ripped it apart. the whole bottom edge of the ear was glued to the rim of the helmet.
That took about 30 min to jimmy a knife through.

It was probably to aid in aligning the other side after the first had been lined up, but it came as a shock.
:smiley-sw013:

Now I don’t think that I am digging this bucket, to me the look seems a bit harsh in general – I guess this is from the moulds used. The wonky frown and the sharpness under and around the eyes seems to take over the whole look of the bucket.. I have an ATA bucket and it is nicely defined but not edgy..    

But that is just me.. Sorry.

Edited by sla73
  • Like 1

I have a couple of AP buckets and just had a look after reading this thread. They both have the slightly wonky teeth and bump on one eye. 

Although not as prominent as on the ANOVOS pics on here....I think those imperfections are meant to be there! :)

I have a couple of AP buckets and just had a look after reading this thread. They both have the slightly wonky teeth and bump on one eye.

Although not as prominent as on the ANOVOS pics on here....I think those imperfections are meant to be there! :)

That Anovos bucket looks like Igor... I'll definitely stick with my bucket without the wacky half frown. But, to each his own. The pictures I posted are not of mine. I do not, and will not order from Anovos. I've heard too many complaints.

TO each his own, If you compare the frown to the original rs props screen used helmet, you can see the rs helmet is a very sharp, perfect pull, where the brian M helmet, which is what most helmets were cast from is a more soft pull you can tell on how the teeth look. we aren't used to the sharp pulls. but they are just as accurate. Compare a correctly trimmed and painted anovos frown to an RS and you'll see they almost look exactly the same. Comparing it to an ATA, AP, MTK, or CAP would not do it Justice as those are all 3rd, 4th, 5th generation casts detail will be lost. If anyone has seen an RS helmet next to an ata or AP you will see a huge difference.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

I just found this and I thought I should post it here, this photo was taken from directly inside the Lucasfilm Archives, straight from the Photo References Gallery here on FSID. Notice the "pushed in" teeth on the left side of the frown, perhaps it's possible this was the bucket used for recasting?

I do know ANOVOS was given access to the Lucasfilm archives to produce their kits, and that they used pieces from several different suits to recast their armor.

gallery_12157_15_45492.jpg

• Like 1

I know some here are super critical and push for every little detail but to say you wouldn't even use the Anovos helmet seems extreme. I love mine and so does every kid that has seen it. It took about an hour total to get it up to Centurion level and the price was perfect for me.

Just my thoughts and I love mine.

• Like 1