Anovos crooked frown

If you compare it to this screen used helmet, you can see its quite similar :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Precisely, comparisons to Nth generation fan copies is a bad place to start.

Edited by dcarty
  • Like 2

f8803f4a9bee134f1c398f97a765d7a5.jpg

111068d7bec4659c235fc62979352554.jpg

3874e6cd9cd9bab56ba7de96c0fdc8c5.jpg

If you compare it to this screen used helmet, you can see its quite similar :)

I think a little bit of trimming between the teeth and repainting the frown would go a LONG way towards improving the look of it. I'm no expert but I'm sure someone on here can chime in.

Can't wait to see someone try his hand at it. By the look of it, we will have plenty of reference by the time it reaches us in the Great White North...

• Like 2

I think a little bit of trimming between the teeth and repainting the frown would go a LONG way towards improving the look of it. I'm no expert but I'm sure someone on here can chime in.

Can't wait to see someone try his hand at it. By the look of it, we will have plenty of reference by the time it reaches us in the Great White North...

IMO, just by trimming the eyes, painting the corners of the mouth and raising the brow will improve the look significantly. And those are very easy fixes!

You can even go further by de-squaring the teeth on to top and bottom by getting rid of the paint that goes right up to the edges. Anyone have a good idea how to go about this without painting it white?

• Like 2

IMO, just by trimming the eyes, painting the corners of the mouth and raising the brow will improve the look significantly. And those are very easy fixes!

You can even go further by de-squaring the teeth on to top and bottom by getting rid of the paint that goes right up to the edges. Anyone have a good idea how to go about this without painting it white?

Exactly my game plan!

I think I've heard something about using mineral spirits but I've never tried anything like it...

Edited by =Sv3=
  • Like 2

Mineral spirits should take the paint off in all but the most bizarre of scenarios.  That is exactly the approach I would take.

Granted, I have a bottle of it in the garage already, but still..  That's where I'd start.  :D

• Like 1

Mineral spirits should take the paint off in all but the most bizarre of scenarios. That is exactly the approach I would take.

Granted, I have a bottle of it in the garage already, but still.. That's where I'd start. :D

Thanks Tim! In your experience, would you advise stripping it all off and completely repaint or is it possible to just clean the top and bottom a little?
  • Like 1

I'd strip the whole thing.  You'll want the paint to all match, and if you look at a lot of member buckets, you'll see that the grey typically used (Testor's 1138) is much glossier than that frown is.

• Like 1

I don´t see any reason why modding this frown would be any harder than modding the MR CE/eFx teeth, and you can find around here a good number of those jobs with excellents results. I am in fact in the middle of one of these transformations with mine at home. Just need the guts to fo for it!

• Like 2

If we choose to leave the frown and do nothing to it, will this frown issue hinder us from reaching EIB / Centurion (granted that the rest of the armor is up to specs.)?

The whole point of EIB/Centurion is to be movie accurate... So I think this question answers itself..

After having one of them in my hands tonight for very close inspection, I still stand by my earlier recommendation for repainting the frown completely. The gray is indeed darker than the gray color in the decals - which are of the "hand-painted" variety - and it is a matte finish so it just doesn't match the rest of the gray on the helmet.

• Like 3

I would hope they would address this and I would like to know if they are going to use the same faceplate mold for the Tie and AtAt. Between this and the staightened ridge under the eyes I may cancel my Tie helmet order.

Tie and AT-At helmets used the Hero face plate with only 3 teeth per side, so if they want accuracy, they will need a separate mold.

• Like 2

But that would take away the super desirable bump in the right eye! Don't get me wrong, I prefer the sanitized way, but there is something magic in an RS helmet, charming with all its imperfections, as the were made... At least as a display. The anovos bucket is something in between, smooth surface but wonky, square and clean teeth but asimetrical mouth and neck... I yet have to make up my mind if I like it or not. Better decide when I hold mine in my hands, and if I can't cope up with the wonkiness... time for modding!

• Like 1

Don't know which helmet they cast from, but based on the Aluminum bucks they scanned a helmet in 3D and "cleaned up" the data. Either by smoothing and refining the model in the software or modelling it from scratch. It's the modeller / artist / CAD operator that is making these refinements based on direction and feedback from Anovos. Then they CNCd out the Aluminum bucks. I'm not saying I know this as fact of what they did, its more just from me looking at their photos and videos and my experience with 3D and manufacturing.

I'd bet a bottle of scotch this is what happened, and in addition that once they get an approval to "go" from Disney, they can't make any changes without going through yet another round of approvals.

This is great feedback. At some point someone is going to post a "HOWTO: Make your ANOVOS ANH Helmet Look More Accurate" thread and there we will go. At my local garrison almost all the feedback is on the frown, and how simple re-painting seems to be a must.

Considering the over-spray, I think it will need to be done regardless as we'd not really accept it as-is for EI/Centurion. It's not much work - heck even I could probably do that. ;-)

• Like 1

There is something wrong with this helmet....Need one in my hands

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

That can be arranged Eric! Should be getting mine on Friday. I do intend to retrim the eyes and rework the frown though. But I'm in no hurry to do that as I have a lot of trimming to do on the armor itself...

You are indeed right that it is different than screen derived fan-made kits but I hope that with a little tweaking, it will look right at home with other troopers.

• Like 1