ANOVOS TK (discussion forum)

ukswrath

Paul, on the contrary however, I just don't blindly accept anyone's answer without proof and that's what I seek. Ive followed you ever since joining. You expect everyone to just take your word everything you say. I'm more than happy to look at more pics you throw out, and I have no problem saying im wrong, if I am.

So what you're saying is that in order to be screen accurate it doesn't matter what shin pieces go together? Build it however it fits best? Obviously Lucasfilm didn't care.

The costume department did not have a clue how to build the armour. There were sent sheets of armour that had to be trimmed out and they were left to figured out the best way to put them together without any instructions, which resulted in many mismatched parts. There is obviously a specific way to assemble the parts but yes, throw them together to be screen accurate.

The problem here with Anovos is that their parts do not match the screen used armour. You can assemble them any way you like and it will not matter to me, but I am pointing out the differences whether you guys can see them or not. Anovos has assembled their shins incorrectly on their poster that comes with the kit. Those with more experienced eyes will see that a mile away.

Edited by troopermaster
  • Like 1

For those of you with your hands on the ANOVOS TK armor how bad is the armor in fitting to someone 6'4"? Trying to get a sense of how much black will be showing. I am 210# with long torso and arms. When I emailed ANOVOS they reiterated it was designed for someone 6" shorter but wouldn't give me any more info than that.<br><br>

Thanks in advance,<br>

George

I'm one of the 6'4" troopers Kalani was talking about. Tomorrow I plan to cut the cod from the ab and add about 2" of spare plastic so as to lengthen the ab plate (and give flexibility for bathroom breaks?). Then I pretty much just tease everything else out a little longer so as to hide and/or distribute the amount of black undersuit showing. For example, I attached the sniper knee higher than for Centurion because my entire kneecap was otherwise exposed. I'll hang the thighs strategically to balance the thigh black and knee black. And I heated and bent the shoulder fittings a bit so the chest and back pieces will hang just a tad lower, this forming the proper overlap with the top of the ab plate. In short, ANOVOS is not a ready-made kit for taller people. Lots of mods will be needed. But I'm optimistic the final results will be okay. Still hard to complain about $350 stormtrooper armor!
  • Like 2

I know there has been some issues with Anovos shins being inconstantly numbered, and I can see Troopermaster and Ukswrath are still hashing things out.

Here's my shins, how they were numbered when I got them, and where they should be according to Anovos construction guide.  Seems like mine have been misnumbered. How do I need to assemble them?

post-23245-0-52435900-1456650091_thumb.jpg

Yes. We all know that Anovos is a recast of RS and the original RS armour has shins made up of two outer halves for both legs, meaning they are identical no matter which leg you put them on. Rob reshaped a two halves to try and make them look like the missing inner halves and these modified parts are actually the longer parts you are using for the outer halves instead of the unmodified, shorter parts that are the outer halves.

As I said earlier, there is no point using the original LFL armour as reference because not even the RS matches up - never mind the Anovos.

Let me know if you need more help :)

Ok, I get what you are saying but why would they make the modified inner parts to be longer than the actual outer parts.  You would think that they would try to keep the look of the orginal armour's inner (short) and outer (long) parts?   Is this the same with the RS suit?

I know there has been some issues with Anovos shins being inconstantly numbered, and I can see Troopermaster and Ukswrath are still hashing things out.

Here's my shins, how they were numbered when I got them, and where they should be according to Anovos construction guide.  Seems like mine have been misnumbered. How do I need to assemble them?

attachicon.gifmyshins.jpg

I am also building the Anovos TK kit...it is my first armor build.  My shins are labeled just like your photos.  I originally tried Tony's configuration: 25 with 28 and 24 with 27.  While they fit, one shin I could barely fit on.  Measuring 5 inches from the top, I measured the circumference of the widest point on the tight shin (the Right) and it was about 17 inches, the other side was 19.5 inches.  The left side fit, but was clearly too big, the right side was painful.  I took them apart (love E6000, so easy to fix mistakes, just rubbed it all off with an old dry cloth towel).  I taped together 24/25 and 27/28 and the fit was much better.  Both came out to be about 18.5-19 inches wide.  If I align the tops of the shins, it looks like I need to trim a little off the bottom of the front of the foot.  I'm putting it together this way...it just fits me better, and now the 2 shins look almost the same size.  

On a side note, Anovos did mislabel in the instructions.  If you look on the shin assembly step in the pdf, the right sides are 24 and 25 (which appear to be correct, and what I am using).  The left side shin stickers say 27 and 28, but the pdf says 38 and 39.  

Basically, I put tons of painters tape on before glueing to test fit the shins.  24 to 25 ® and 27 to 28 (L) fit me better.  Definitely not knocking Tony here, his tutorial is the bees knees.  Perhaps my labels were correct and many others were mislabeled.  Try taping it as secure as you can to test fit before applying the E6000.  In my specific case, one shin configuration was painful, even my wife could see the difference between the shins just eyeballing it.  24/25 and 27/28 worked for me.  Big +1 for Tony for documenting this every step of the way.  I can't tell you how many hours I've spent looking at his instructions/photos...job well done sir!

Edited by HappyTrooperDotCom
  • Like 1

Yea it's a hit and mis here. Mine when labeled 24/25 & 27/28 one was assembled with two outer sections and the other two inner sections. So clearly there's a major screw up with the assembly and the labeling.

At this point we need to get the word out when performing a pre assembly check to verify if this is going to be a issue, if so switch sections and recheck. Looks like I'll be updating my shin section again with some reference pics.

• Like 1

Thank the Empire I'm taking my time.  I personally just started fitting my first pieces, the forearms.  The mismatched the left and right forearms are giving my OCD a fit (especially the right!).  I want it to be perfect, but am slowly accepting that it never truly will be.  Human hands make human errors.

Thanks to all providing this resource!

• Like 1

Can I ask those with more knowledge than I to comment on the fit of my armor? I'm really skinny so it's been a bit of trouble to get everything trimmed down to my slimness.

Aside from the neck seal being aloof in the back, is there anything I should fix to get a better fit and meet approval? (shooting for EIB)

IMG_4505_zpsuufw9ll1.jpg

IMG_4506_zpsoekskelu.jpg

IMG_4508_zpsfzunbum9.jpg

As a separate and final question, I feel the armor sags a bit and would benefit from suspenders or something like that underneath to keep everything hung up tight and in place. Has this been done before?

As a separate and final question, I feel the armor sags a bit and would benefit from suspenders or something like that underneath to keep everything hung up tight and in place. Has this been done before?

I'm wondering the same. I'm sure there has to be a how-to on suspenders somewhere on this site. Anyone have a link handy to recommend? :-)

The armor is designed to be supported by the shoulders and waist belt. With that said for some that will not be good enough and will require a little help. There's nothing wrong with adding a suspension rig to help support the armor. I personally would make it velcroed or snapped so it can be removed during approvals.  

I'll work on closing up the back of the thighs a little more, thanks.

I have a cheap pair of elastic suspenders, I'll try and hooking it up to to ab and kidney area to keep everything a little more closely together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll work on closing up the back of the thighs a little more, thanks.

I have a cheap pair of elastic suspenders, I'll try and hooking it up to to ab and kidney area to keep everything a little more closely together.

Two snaps at top of ab plate, two snap at top of kidney plate... About 4" in from sides... Should work for the suspenders... I use them, and find that it reduces stress on the shoulder bridges. Edited by TK 2759
  • Like 1

Can I ask those with more knowledge than I to comment on the fit of my armor? I'm really skinny so it's been a bit of trouble to get everything trimmed down to my slimness.

Aside from the neck seal being aloof in the back, is there anything I should fix to get a better fit and meet approval? (shooting for EIB)

That Anovos belt isn't doing you any favors, although with someone to assist perhaps it can lay straighter.

One shin is higher than the other: Is it cut too small or can it be pushed down lower onto the shoe? A simple strap and velcro tab (like this) may help keep it down, if you find it's creeping up.

I think the thighs are still too big, despite cutting out behind the knee. It would look better if they were cut in smaller at the top, and frankly, the whole thing could be cut down an inch or so, and a new return edge created with a hobby iron. Not an especially simple mod, but I think there are plenty of threads of people who have done it successfully which would contain tips. (starting with that hobby iron link)

That Anovos belt isn't doing you any favors, although with someone to assist perhaps it can lay straighter.

One shin is higher than the other: Is it cut too small or can it be pushed down lower onto the shoe? A simple strap and velcro tab (like this) may help keep it down, if you find it's creeping up.

I think the thighs are still too big, despite cutting out behind the knee. It would look better if they were cut in smaller at the top, and frankly, the whole thing could be cut down an inch or so, and a new return edge created with a hobby iron. Not an especially simple mod, but I think there are plenty of threads of people who have done it successfully which would contain tips. (starting with that hobby iron link)

The belt isn't good, but I'm trying to get it patched up and decent for the time being to take approval pics, hopefully to upgrade soon.

The shin issue was just because of how tight I put them on and they wouldn't cover the boots. Not a fit issue, my bad.

For the thighs, I'll remove the back cover strip and cut a good bit out to make it fit closer around my body. Not much I can do with the front because of the ridges.

The belt isn't good, but I'm trying to get it patched up and decent for the time being to take approval pics, hopefully to upgrade soon.

The shin issue was just because of how tight I put them on and they wouldn't cover the boots. Not a fit issue, my bad.

For the thighs, I'll remove the back cover strip and cut a good bit out to make it fit closer around my body. Not much I can do with the front because of the ridges.

I hear you on the belt. It'll do for now. :)

The top thigh ridges can be duplicated, lower down, but it's definitely an advanced technique. Check out PandaTrooper's build thread for a pretty clear idea of how you can cut the entire thigh top to make is shorter, and keep the original curve:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/10434-pandatroopers-am-build-threadam/

The top thigh ridges can be duplicated, lower down, but it's definitely an advanced technique. Check out PandaTrooper's build thread for a pretty clear idea of how you can cut the entire thigh top to make is shorter, and keep the original curve:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/10434-pandatroopers-am-build-threadam/

I don't think they need to be shortened in terms of height, though. I'm somewhat *tall* at 5 foot 11, so shortening them would have them fit like Lederhosen, and I'm not really up for that.

I could lower them on the straps, if your concern is that they are too close to the cod piece area?

I don't think they need to be shortened in terms of height, though. I'm somewhat *tall* at 5 foot 11, so shortening them would have them fit like Lederhosen, and I'm not really up for that.

I could lower them on the straps, if your concern is that they are too close to the cod piece area?

Yes, although they're also hitting the butt plate in the back. Simply lowering them should be fine, if that's the case. It wasn't clear how much room you had to do that, although now that I look again, I think I was worried there wasn't room because the one shin was simply not pushed down.

Also, if your looking for ways to improve, you might want to fill in the gap between the front thigh halves with a small shim and some ABS paste. I personally find the little buck tooth look distracting. (which is why I did the same fix on mine)

Edited by kman