ANOVOS TK (discussion forum)

ukswrath

FedEx bills are coming through to UK buyers. Got mine today and got stung for £92 ($130), so not looking quite the bargain that our US cousins got.<br>

What really upsets me is the fact the import costs seem almost random, I've seen some others' bills for £72, some for £86. <br>

Not quite sure of the logic behind it.

I don't remember seeing anything about import costs when my BBB got delivered. Also the FedEx delivery costs seems to be less than what we were charged by Anovos?

I don't remember seeing anything about import costs when my BBB got delivered. Also the FedEx delivery costs seems to be less than what we were charged by Anovos?

Bill came later, box was delivered 10 days ago and the bill for import costs came through the post today.

Can't say how much you'll get stung for as the costs seem to random for different people (for some strange reason).

Bill came later, box was delivered 10 days ago and the bill for import costs came through the post today.

Can't say how much you'll get stung for as the costs seem to random for different people (for some strange reason).

My bill turned up today - not 'appy. Gonna call FedEx and challenge them about it, also considering my box got misplaced for 2 days once it go to the local depot!! I've paid Anovos for shipping so as far as I'm concerned that's it Mr FedEx. End of.

I was just wondering if we were forewarned by FebEx about the charges? I think that I have been charged about £70

I was just wondering if we were forewarned by FebEx about the charges? I think that I have been charged about £70

Ignoring Lichtbringer's comment, was anyone forewarned? I certainly wasn't. If not, can they just pop an invoice in the post for more charges? Surely this should have all been sorted between FedEx and Anovos. I can't quote a client £350 for something, supply it and then send them another invoice for £93 extra just because I forgot something or didn't allow for it in the first place.

I'm not an expert in foreign shipping policies, but this seems to be an issue that should be taken up with your government, not Anovos or FedEx. Import fees are charged by your government, are they not? We don't have that stuff here in the States, like VAT taxes and all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm not an expert in foreign shipping policies, but this seems to be an issue that should be taken up with your government, not Anovos or FedEx. Import fees are charged by your government, are they not? We don't have that stuff here in the States, like VAT taxes and all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are import/export charges that people are complaining about. The US doesn't get nailed for them, because they are shipping from the US, but if it was shipped from elsewhere, US residents would probably get nailed with an import tax as well.

I agree, people should be complaining to their respective governments about duty fees, not ANOVOS or FedEx.

The shipping costs we paid Anovos are totally separate from the bills that are coming through.<br><br>

Customs charges are fully expected, so it's no surprise that you'll get stung when you import goods from outside the EU.<br><br>

In the good old days, getting charged was very much luck of the draw- I bought many items from the States and never got a bill.<br><br>

Now that global shipping is common place, virtually nothing gets through without some sort of charge.<br><br>

The usual routine for collecting import/customs charges, however, is different in this instance. Normally goods would be kept by the shipping company until the bill had been settled. FedEx seem to be doing it the other way around. What do they do if you refuse to pay? Come round your house and take the package from you?<br><br>

My problem, as mentioned previously, is the charges vary from one buyer to another. Same item, same cost, same supplier, surely the charges should be consistent across the board?

Edited by Yorkie Fett
  • Like 1

I think Ukswrath's method of marking the butt joint and return edge and clamping a metal ruler to use as a trimming guide will get you 90% there in having a flush edge, but then you'll want to do a quick sand just to make sure that nothing is going to jump out and jab you.  I think I'll go that route and just do my curve return edge sanding using a dremel.  That will most likely get the job done for me...unless someone lets me borrow their belt sander when I ask around.

Once you have made your trim lines you can cut the plastic with scissors. The joints do not need to be 100% exact since they get covered with the strips, but you will be fine using scissors. I have never used a belt sander on armour, no need. Seems a bit extreme to me.

• Like 2

Once you have made your trim lines you can cut the plastic with scissors. The joints do not need to be 100% exact since they get covered with the strips, but you will be fine using scissors. I have never used a belt sander on armour, no need. Seems a bit extreme to me.

lol have you built a FO TK yet Paul? 

• Like 1

Just got the shipping notification for the OT TK soft parts they are on the way. Forgot to mention the important piece of information they are coming USPS apparently not FEDEX.

Yup, I got my shipping notice last night, as well. USPS.

I seem to be winning the UK VAT bill game so far at £106 but if people ordered at the $650 tier then it will be more.  Though on the plus side it's pretty much what I calculated when I ordered so not un-expected.

• Like 2

Just a tip here for anyone trimming the parts to fit, I was using a metal ruler clamped to the pieces as in ukwraths build but found the ruler wouldn't always conform to the shape of the pieces very well.

The way I found worked better for me was to measure in at the top and bottom where the cover strip would be going, then use one of the cover strips themselves as a ruler as it will bend to the shape of the armor much easier than a steel ruler, clamp that, mark with a pencil, remove the cover strip and carefully cut it freehand with a knife.  :)

• Like 3

I seem to be winning the UK VAT bill game so far at £106 but if people ordered at the $650 tier then it will be more.  Though on the plus side it's pretty much what I calculated when I ordered so not un-expected.

Chris - was yours a tier 1 or 2 order.?

FedEx bills are coming through to UK buyers. Got mine today and got stung for £92 ($130), so not looking quite the bargain that our US cousins got.<br>

What really upsets me is the fact the import costs seem almost random, I've seen some others' bills for £72, some for £86. <br>

Not quite sure of the logic behind it.

Ok so despite my ranting previously, VAT/Duty/Excise is based on a %age of an order value, not a fixed fee as far as I am aware.. so why are there these random amounts being charged by FedEx.? In theory, Tier 1 orders @ $350 + shipping (I believe the order value was about $500 in total) which I am guessing most of us were, should be charged the same VAT/duty/Excise fee.. yes.?

I accept Tier 2 order at $650 (..? I think) will be more, but again should all the the same rate.

As most governmental things also customs is not as easy as it could be.

Vat is based on percentage of the final price.

Customs fee is also based on percentage, but ..... there are different fees on different products. And due to the complexity of goods the HS customs tariff numbers are as complicated as possible (remember, it´s government). Most goods are in much more than one group, depending on their description. For example "plastic model kit" can have a complete different percentage than "costume........", and "Product made from ABS" can have another percentage. That´s a hypothetical example, but one i had very often when working in my job with customs. All descriptions match the bought product, but final price will greatly be affected by the percentage of the description the local customs office has choosen.

And believe me, arguing with them will most of the time end in them finding a even higher customs tariff.

Additional, the small fee Fedex takes might change a little bit, due to the amount of time their representative had to while handling with the customs officer.

Chris - was yours a tier 1 or 2 order.?

Tier 2, but I was also one of the first in the pay it forward chain of vouchers so I didn't pay the full $450.

I can't grumble at the VAT and duty though I do feel the £12 handling fee a bit of a joke seeing as the whole point of Fedex is to handle packages, often across borders, and should be factored into the base international shipping cost.