DLT-19 3D Model

wizardofflight

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I have finished tweaking and I'm getting ready to post these parts, figured I'd do it an batches so I can get feedback on their usability. 

So I need to know from all you 3D printer folks should the parts be put in to separate STL files or just lumped into one big file?

Alan

I would separate them.  I've printed a few weapons that had the files all together, and it ends up being separated in the end in case one piece screws up while printing.  Doesn't really matter what you do, I'll end up separating them on my end.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys.

I apologies for the lack of updates.  Had a personal crisis that has taken a majority of my time.  Not sure when I’ll be able to get back to this as I still have a few months of work to do before life can get back to some kind of normality.  But I will finish it, I'll make sure to break it down the final model in to seperate parts.

Alan

I started printing the nozzle parts.  looking good! i'll post pics as soon as i have them!  Thank you Alan!

• 2 weeks later...

4ef4e2206e74a7b8a338043a7cecb568.jpg

The surface of the rendering is a little over polly'd but other than that it's coming along nicely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello,

decius - Do I need to change the resolution of the 3D models so they will print smoother? 

Just not up on the 3D printing stuff, classically trained ink and Mylar draftsman, old dog trying to learn new tricks.

Sorry for the delay on updates, things are starting to settle down.  A friend and mentor of 30 years passed away and put me in charge of his estate.  So I have been busy trying to get everything organized, fighting with nearly everyone just to get the bills paid and accounts closed.  Learning a lot about estate planning, trusts, probate the whole ball of wax.  What I have learned is that ORGANIZTION pre & post is a must and that most of the people you’ll have to deal with are going to be jerks.

Alan

• 3 months later...

I've been playing around with this STL file, and found this site http://www.crobics.com/ which lets you load the STL file from post #1.  It has a "selector" and "saw" tool.  I was able to select the parts I'm not interested in printing and use the saw tool to remove them.  You can then save (download) an updated STL file with the changes you made.   Looks like it could be handy for other people to use.  I don't have a 3D printer to test the resulting file.

• Like 2

I've been playing around with this STL file, and found this site http://www.crobics.com/ which lets you load the STL file from post #1. It has a "selector" and "saw" tool. I was able to select the parts I'm not interested in printing and use the saw tool to remove them. You can then save (download) an updated STL file with the changes you made. Looks like it could be handy for other people to use. I don't have a 3D printer to test the resulting file.

You can download cura (a free slicer) and see how well your cuts worked

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You can download cura (a free slicer) and see how well your cuts worked

I uploaded my edited file to https://www.shapeways.com/ (even lets you set scale to inches) and they do a number of automated checks and it passed with no issue.  I selected a few of the parts not easy to create with PVC such the various sight parts (5 parts in total) and ordered them.   I'll see how they come out and report back.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...