Velcro fails on my ANH utility belt

I have an RS Prop Masters canvas belt. It just fits, maybe an inch too short. I have snaps in the front ab armor holding it up and it is velcroed in the back under the thermal detonator. When ever I'm suited up, start moving around, bend a little and squat I slowly hear the Velcro separating. A couple times it came undone, and my TD hit the floor. I don't want to replace my belt because I have the plastic ammo front riveted to it. 

Has anybody added anything like sew in snaps or hooks to secure the belt in the back? I would love to hear suggestions!

Edited by Squimspickle

If you have an RS suit and you're bending down, I'd closely examine the bracket system, too much stress on that can cause other problems.

You can quickly fix this 2 ways.

• Add a section of canvas with velcro on each side to the center of the join.  Imagine a rectangle with fuzz on one side and hook on the other. When added in place it can help to extend the belt from the inside.
  • Add the sew in snaps by sewing to a square of fabric, and then loop sew that to the inside of the belt.

If you have an RS suit and you're bending down, I'd closely examine the bracket system, too much stress on that can cause other problems.

• Add a section of canvas with velcro on each side to the center of the join.  Imagine a rectangle with fuzz on one side and hook on the other. When added in place it can help to extend the belt from the inside.
  • Add the sew in snaps by sewing to a square of fabric, and then loop sew that to the inside of the belt.

Thanks for the suggestions Vern! I'll try your first fix and then if that doesn't seem to solve it, I'll do the sew in snaps route.

It's actually an ATA suit.  I'm not even bending or squatting much. If I just push my gut out a little bit I hear the velcro separating. The Holiday weight gain probably isn't helping either.

If the belt is a replica of the belt on the RS suit, it's very short. When Clothears were commissioned to replicate the belt, the first ones were all produced to the exact same length as the original belt. I had one with my first RS suit.

It's a faithful replica but in reality it's impractically short. It sounds like this may be what you have.

Vern's suggested extension should work and help a lot.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the responses.  Here is a pic of what I'm dealing with.  I don't have a measurement of the length of the entire belt.  I love the look of the belt though.  It looks very authentic.  So I'm probably getting about 1.5 inches of velcro coverage.  I'm 5'10" 162 lbs so I don't have a big waist.

-------

I was thinking of sewing these on and they would be hidden behind the top flap. They wouldn't be noticeable at all and then I can keep the belt, but have the added security if/when the velcro separates. Does this seem like a good idea?  I would hate to have to dismantle the belt. I used Zap A Gap on the 3 button covers on the front of the belt that cover my rivets (i know, I know :mellow: ). I also like Vern's suggestion of adding an extender piece.

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

The Velcro is not the problem. The problem is there is not enough contact for the Velcro to hold because the belts are so short in length. Instead of having a good 3"-4" contact area, you are lucky to get 0.5"-1" if I am reading this right?

most likely it is industrial velcro.  Most RS belts seem to use that.

If the belt is a replica of the belt on the RS suit, it's very short. When Clothears were commissioned to replicate the belt, the first ones were all produced to the exact same length as the original belt. I had one with my first RS suit.

It's a faithful replica but in reality it's impractically short. It sounds like this may be what you have.

Vern's suggested extension should work and help a lot.

Good luck.

Have you considered replacing the velcro? It could be that the velcro isn't that strong and could be better with an industrial strength version. 

I got home from work and measured the belt. It's a 40" belt.  When I ordered it they asked me for my waist size.  I asked them if I should measure my waist or if they wanted pants size.  They responded with "Tell us the size that you wear in jeans". I wear a 31 in jeans.  So when I got the belt it seemed a bit snug but it was working so I went with it. I put on about 5 lbs over the past few months and now I can tell it's a problem. Maybe it's the difference between my ATA armor vs the RS? But it does seem that they cut it close, considering the belt has to go around the amor as well.

Lengthen the belt or get a new belt. My belt has almost 7" of overlapping velcro once closed it doesn't move.

I would sew an extra length of fabric & velcro to the end of the belt. Same idea as shimming the armor. 

Yeah, I think everyone is right on here.  I'm going to shim it while I wait for a new belt. We all fluctuate weight every so often. I'll need the flexibility.  A 45" inch belt would do the trick.  I definetly appreciate all the feedback.  It all helped.  I'm going to contact Clothears Costumes.

Edited by Squimspickle

The belt should be measured around the armour....I've got snaps on the rear inside belt so the outer belt velcros on and the snaps hold the weight of a holstered blaster and the TD holds belt together. Never falls off.

• Like 1

The belt should be measured around the armour....I've got snaps on the rear inside belt so the outer belt velcros on and the snaps hold the weight of a holstered blaster and the TD holds belt together. Never falls off.

I can see that working nicely too. I have placed an order for a longer belt. I wouldn't have a problem putting an extra snap in the back though while I wait. I could then do it to the new belt as well for the extra hold as you do. Thanks for that suggestion!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2016 at 9:01 AM, TK Bondservnt 2392 said:

•  
  •  
  •  

So here is what I did as my temporary fix as I wait for my a longer belt.  I took Vern's advice and made a simple shim.  Its basically a 2" wide by 3" long piece of velcro which i stuck together. One side being the fuzzy side and the other side being the hook side. It works great! When I put the Thermal Detonator on it completely hides it. I think the velcro on the shim is a better quality too so it provides more hold.  Thanks again, Vern!

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed