Fireberglass Armor?

just wondering what everybody thinks of the fiberglass gear out there, is it approved and acceptable gear for the 501st?  ive been looking at the site for awhile now and I am not a member of the 501st but am looking to get into it.  Finding gear seams to be pretty difficult with all the wait times currently and was wondering if these fiberglass kits are any good?  I've contacted a few Armor makers that are allowed and common through this site and the waiting list is almost a year or like 1600 bucks... any suggestions on gear currently available would be appreciated... ive contacted ATA, RS...  also not against getting a set of used gear if anyone is looking for some extra cash to buy TFA gear when it comes out... john 

I don't understand what you mean about armor being difficult to get . Many people offer abs armor, all over the globe . What country are you in ? <br>

Whatever you decide , stay away from fiberglass armor . It's far more difficult to work than abs , will probably need filling and painting , and will almost certainly be a recast .

There are other great options that aren't on the forum's list of recommended armorers. A few good options are CAP-W, WTF, and MTK, which are comparable in price to ATA

Contact Scootch for CAP-W HIPS armor.

https://www.facebook.com/Scootchs-Custom-Fab-Shop-213924908786578/?fref=ts

Or Trooperbay for MTK ABS armor.

----------

Walt from Walt's Trooper Factory (WTF)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/612005498911674/

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

i have found abs armor although most seems to be recasts or ive been told not to buy from ebay or other online marketplaces so its hard to find reputable gear without exactly knowing everything that I need to know, as far as who and where to go... but thanks for some more contacts, I will see how they go... john

If you let us know what country you're in we can help you further.<br><br>

There's no reason to struggle to get decent armour. <br><br>

But what ever you go for don't rush it, it's never worth it.<br><br>

The advise you're being given is for very good reason and the reason is never to prevent you getting armour, we want to help you there but to do it right so you get great kit and don't regret it.

• Like 1

Hmmm. on a completly different subject,  I'm now slightly disapointed, I had red the referene to trooperbay severa times, but to find out it's actualy e-bay, it made me a little sad, I actualy thought it was a real thing, a e-bay like thing, but for star wars gear :( oh wel......

On topic, I do agree with the op, good armour is hard to find for a good price, it's super expencive, I honestly don't understand how anyone can actualy aford these armours. :( (ofcourse i realize it's a lot ow work to make them, and that's why they are expensive,)

wich is why I'm making my own, :)

Hmmm. on a completly different subject,  I'm now slightly disapointed, I had red the referene to trooperbay severa times, but to find out it's actualy e-bay, it made me a little sad, I actualy thought it was a real thing, a e-bay like thing, but for star wars gear :( oh wel......

On topic, I do agree with the op, good armour is hard to find for a good price, it's super expencive, I honestly don't understand how anyone can actualy aford these armours. :( (ofcourse i realize it's a lot ow work to make them, and that's why they are expensive,)

www.trooperbay.com ?

• Like 1

Trooperbay does sell on ebay, Adrian, but his items are approvable, and he is a reputable seller.

As for armor being expensive, it's a case of "you get what you pay for".  Yes, the kits (armor) offered by the vetted sellers on here aren't inexpensive, but these folks have spent countless hours perfecting them to meet 501st standards, whereas the sellers on ebay, etc. are selling glorified Halloween costumes.

Edited by justjoseph63
  • Like 1

don't get me wrong, I absolutly understad what goes into this, :)

But it's stil expensive, and when you like me live in a country that adds 25% tax, on boht the kit you buy, and the shipping costs, a 700$ kitt, sudenly kosts 1000$ :( before you even start adding on the extras you need.

Edited by ask382

What I meant is that this is an expensive hobby, and most here either have this as a priority, or earn enough to have all they need in addition to this.

We get a lot of students coming here who think this is cheap and get shocked when they discover that it isn't. I was also a student when I got started, but I had such cheap housing back then that I could afford this on my student loans, and I made it a priority.

• Like 3

Well, I can ashure you I'm no student :)

And althoug I find it to expensive to buy one, I'm making my own from scratch instead :)
our main priorety at the moment is our 6 month old daughter,and even thoug I can technicaly aford it, I think my wife would kill me if i bought a full armour :)

• Like 2

Family always comes first. :)

Most here I would think have either not had any children yet, or the kids are old enough to not need constant attention.

• Like 2

That's why most people here have real jobs and can afford expensive toys ;)

I'm glad you cleared up what you meant by this statement. On the surface it was a totally dick thing to say.

It's true this is an expensive hobby. You either have means, save for years, or make it a very high financial priority...or I my case... all of the above. 

-Eric

• Like 2

I'm glad you cleared up what you meant by this statement. On the surface it was a totally dick thing to say.

It's true this is an expensive hobby. You either have means, save for years, or make it a very high financial priority...or I my case... all of the above. 

-Eric

He's Norwegian. Sworn enemy of Sweden. Almost as much as Danes. ;)
  • Like 1

He's Norwegian. Sworn enemy of Sweden. Almost as much as Danes. ;)

:D lol :D 

Made my day :)

Well, in my defence, my wife is 1/4 sweedish, my aunt, uncle and coussins live in stocholm, and I work for a Volvo dealer :) and until reacently, we went to sweeden atleast once a month :)

But you are forgivven :) lol

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What I meant is that this is an expensive hobby, and most here either have this as a priority, or earn enough to have all they need in addition to this.

We get a lot of students coming here who think this is cheap and get shocked when they discover that it isn't. I was also a student when I got started, but I had such cheap housing back then that I could afford this on my student loans, and I made it a priority.

I'm a student right now in my mid 20s and all I did was save a little each month during my 10 month waiting period for my ATA armor. That way I wasn't spending a lot of money all at once. Was disappointed I had to wait that long at first but ending up working well with that method. $60-$70 a month and by the time my kit was ready to ship I had the funds saved up for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk