Why did you pick the armor (ANH, ESB, ROTJ) that you did?

I'm a curious new member.  I've done research over the past couple weeks.  I've looked at the reference pictures and read through the differences.  But in non technical layman's terms, what is it about your armor that you like and what don't you like about the others.  I hate to say the differences are subtle but for the most part, the armor is very similar.  I personally like the look of the ROTJ armor but it seems the least popular and considered the black sheep.  Am I missing something?  I haven't purchased my armor yet and I want to take everything into consideration.

It's not that I don't like the other styles. (ROTJ, ESB, ANH Hero), but I knew that I would be eventually going for HWT (Heavy Weapons Trooper), and that is based on the ANH Stunt armor.  The fact that there were many more build threads available helped my decision.

Edited by justjoseph63

When the average person thinks of a stormtrooper, it's ANH Stunt that immediately comes to mind - even if they aren't deep enough into the fandom to know to call it that. The ANH Stunt trooper from THE original Star Wars movie is the quintessential stormtrooper.

• Like 4

For me it had to be ANH. As stated above it wasn't that I didn't like the other armor type. Ever since I was little I wanted to be that Stormtrooper that boarded Tantive IV. A New Hope was always mine and my dad's favorite film and it was in my mind what a stormtrooper should be. It was always ANH for me.

• Like 1

For me the ANH was the first time I had seen the iconic armor so it was the one for me, but I have now done the ANH Stun and Hero versions as well as an ESB, I do like the black teeth, BUT I just can't bring myself to do a ROTJ version, squished helmet is just not for me.

• Like 1

I'm currently torn between ANH or ESB. The black teeth are an interesting change and seem to be gaining popularity (citing Battlefront as an example), and Empire is by and far my favorite of the original films, but I would hate to build an E-11 that was less "decked out"! I'm almost leaning ANH just based on the E-11!

\m/

For me it had to be ANH. As stated above it wasn't that I didn't like the other armor type. Ever since I was little I wanted to be that Stormtrooper that boarded Tantive IV.

That sums it up for me too. After seeing ANH at a drive in, I've been blown away by Star Wars... When everyone says Stormtrooper, the ANH version is what I remember. I chose the Hero, for I like the close up look of the Stormtrooper.

• Like 1

ANH all the way for me, it's just a classic look and I love how nice and shiny the armor looks in the movie. The details on the armor, and like whitenight mentioned the handguards. ANH hands down (no pun intended) has the best looking handguards of all three classic armors. Although since CFO came out I've seen alot of good ROTJ builds and that armor is growing on me. But ANH is the classic and if I can only have one set, thats the one.

I didn't know what a stunt or a hero was, I just knew I wanted to be one of those roughneck guys looking for droids in the dunes. It took me several years of begging and pleading, then almost a whole year to finish my armor. So glad I am finally a REAL sandtrooper. One day when the odds are in my favor, I will build a squeaky clean TK! That new AP kit looks very nice!

I went ESB because it's my favorite movie. I tend to be a sentimental person so ESB was a clear choice for me. The ROTJ tends to be less popular not just cause of what happened on that moon, but the armor looks a bit weird and not as tight. Probably the result of having a mass produced kit. Regardless, whenever I'm asked I tell people to follow their heart. If you like ROTJ then go for it.

ANH is what most everyone was selling (kind of like how it seems like 90% of Vaders are ESB)... it's just the most common.

I decided to go Hero though, since I wanted to be a good guy dressed as a bad guy doing good.  So I'm like Han Solo in a borrowed Stormtrooper uniform!

I originally wanted to be a shiny Magma Trooper, so I got a nice red ABS plastic kit from ATA. I messed up a few of the parts during the build, but instead of replacing them, I coated everything in white and made it into a Death Trooper.

Pretty much the LAST costume I'd ever want is a clean, plain white Stormtrooper. Stormtroopers are great, but I like to be the special snowflake that sticks out in that sea of white. My next one will be the new ROTJ-style Battlefront Shock Trooper with the red stripes.

If I was going to build another Stormtrooper in a future, I would get a black TM ROTJ kit and try to make the Shadowtrooper from Battlefront - the one with the Imperial cog on the chest plate.

Edited by SolidScrafty