Ukswrath's ANOVOS TK build (stunt)

ukswrath

Hey Joe you're not being a pain, that's what we're here for. This armor was meant to fit the individual whom I was building it for yes however, as stated in the build once you make the preliminary trim cuts you need to take pre fitment check. This is done by either placing the armor on your body with an under suit on and/or using a fabric tape measure to your body then the armor partially assembled. If you miscalculated you can always add material to the back on the armor. This may include disassembly and reassembly if needed. 

Tony,

How tight should forearms (and I suppose biceps, shins etcetera) be? I assume some space between the armor and my skin is accurate and neccessary but how much is normal? One finger? Two? Any help  would be appreciated.

7 hours ago, Harbinger said:

Tony,

How tight should forearms (and I suppose biceps, shins etcetera) be? I assume some space between the armor and my skin is accurate and neccessary but how much is normal? One finger? Two? Any help  would be appreciated.

Hey Brien, there's no set standard or requirement however, a good rule of thumb is at leaset 1/2" of clearance between the armor and your skin in all areas. Bottom line your body needs breathing room. 

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, batmanmike said:

Thoughts on tapering thigh cover strips? Allowed? Not encouraged? Years of sports have left them...well, LARGE! LOL.

r/Mike

It's suggested you add shims as needed to obtain the angle you need. Afterwards install the 20mm cover strip, not tapered. Hope this make sense.  

• 2 weeks later...

Finally received my TK from Anovos. I've done the check and mandatory bucket selfies. Now where to start.

As I don't have any magnets yet, can I start by trimming all the excess abs using the trim lines?c350190a9b1ab909b369a619a2a335ef.jpg2f2e7617d2a26bafe98458b783a7849e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Rando_Calrissian said:

@ukswrath What strength rating are the magnets you used in this build? Thanks!

Sorry for the late, early to bed last night. 1/2" or 5/8" x 1/8" thick rare earth magnets. Most have the same strength rating. The larger the higher the strength obviously. https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Large-1-2-x-1-8-inch-Neodymium-Disc-Magnets-Super-Strong-Rare-Earth-Magnet/251665625934?epid=807187938&hash=item3a9870b34e:g:R5MAAOSwv9hW6aCf

6 hours ago, tgoldner76 said:

Finally received my TK from Anovos. I've done the check and mandatory bucket selfies. Now where to start.

As I don't have any magnets yet, can I start by trimming all the excess abs using the trim lines?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ahhh the smell of new plastic, very cool.

Advice? Read, Read, Read.

Visit the build threads section and check out more than just my build. Different strokes for different folks ;).

Start your own build thread where experts can chime in with advice and others can follow along with you. 

Follow safety guidelines noted on page one

Remember to "measure twice, cut once".

5 hours ago, Harbinger said:

That would be ideal, and is what Tony did first in this thread.

Many other are here to help and chime in, even on this thread here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ukswrath said:

Sorry for the late, early to bed last night. 1/2" or 5/8" x 1/8" thick rare earth magnets. Most have the same strength rating. The larger the higher the strength obviously. https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Large-1-2-x-1-8-inch-Neodymium-Disc-Magnets-Super-Strong-Rare-Earth-Magnet/251665625934?epid=807187938&hash=item3a9870b34e:g:R5MAAOSwv9hW6aCf

Cheers! :duim:

I was about to pull the trigger on a set of magnets last night but they were the highest N rating possible, and thought I should double check in case those were so strong I couldn't get them off the armor afterwards :blink:

Just now, Rando_Calrissian said:

Cheers! :duim:

I was about to pull the trigger on a set of magnets last night but they were the highest N rating possible, and thought I should double check in case those were so strong I couldn't get them off the armor afterwards :blink:

I also suggest you head over to home depot and pick up a pack of plastic clamps. I have about 3 set of these, shown in my build. Life saver

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Spring-Clamp-Set-22-Piece-TGS0073F/203404716

1 hour ago, ukswrath said:

I also suggest you head over to home depot and pick up a pack of plastic clamps. I have about 3 set of these, shown in my build. Life saver

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Spring-Clamp-Set-22-Piece-TGS0073F/203404716

Already got a set of those, really excellent! Will be waiting on a few amazon orders in the next few days but hope to have most of my research and tools ready for a nice long weekend! 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2016 at 10:59 AM, ukswrath said:

15a. Helmet Modification For Centurion and/or Accuracy Part 1

Note: Out of the box the Anovos helmet meets basic,

My garrison's MLA required the corners of the frown to be painted grey. 

36 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

Some will request it. 

I almost want to get, anonymously, all the fix-it t tickets that have been issued and see whether the published standards are accurate and adhered to. I read one thread where someone got dinged at basic for things he saw in Centurion suits that passed. There's a lot of ambiguity and indirection. 

So technically, the frown paint that Anovos starts with doesn't match the CRL helmet picture, even though it matches the text. I think it's probably fair to ask for the applicant to match the CRL picture if possible... Of course, some of the pictures in the CRL are absolutely wrong for higher levels (knee armor riveted on, etc)

5 minutes ago, Timberwoof said:

I almost want to get, anonymously, all the fix-it t tickets that have been issued and see whether the published standards are accurate and adhered to. I read one thread where someone got dinged at basic for things he saw in Centurion suits that passed. There's a lot of ambiguity and indirection. 

This is where we need to educate some GMLs also. 

2 minutes ago, Kredal said:

So technically, the frown paint that Anovos starts with doesn't match the CRL helmet picture, even though it matches the text. I think it's probably fair to ask for the applicant to match the CRL picture if possible... Of course, some of the pictures in the CRL are absolutely wrong for higher levels (knee armor riveted on, etc)

GMLs don't need to be comparing basic armor approvals to L2 or L3 standards anyways. 

The helmet picture in the PDF is too small to make out the details. 
This picture, which I found by accidentally clicking on the helmet in the pdf, is detailed enough: http://databank.501st.com/databank/File:TK_anh_stunt_helmet.jpeg
The text from this thread which I quoted above is not correct. The Anovos helmet is not ready out of the box. 

The CRL clearly states the frown does NOT leave the teeth area, unless Anovos has changed something then it should be good to go as is. If they did change it then I may need to update my tutorial to reflect that. 

7 minutes ago, Kredal said:

Of course, some of the pictures in the CRL are absolutely wrong for higher levels (knee armor riveted on, etc)

:blink:Now I see the rivet! Wow. I did not see the rivet in the PDF until I saw the bigger version here: http://databank.501st.com/databank/File:TK_anh_stunt_shins.jpeg
And if someone builds it that way with the intent of going for higher accuracy later, he is … riveted. 
My friends are all saying, "Rivets? Tiny dabs of paint? Really?" (Yeah! Really. If Mister No Stripes' correct strapping system is optional, then why does it matter whether a rivet is the wrong kind on the inside no one sees?)
I think that people trained in the details see them as "obvious", while newbies can look at a reference picture and a photo of themselves and not see those "obvious" differences. A few months ago I might have seen this and said, cool! But now I say Gah!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Stormtrooper-Helmet-ATA-Works-Exact-Replica-Hand-Made-Armor-ROTJ/263389265032

Wow never looked at the shin photo close enough to notice that lol. Good thing CRLs are fluid.

To be honest with the different types of armor out there it's best to follow the wording not the photo. Also, if in doubt ask. Another thing, there's no harm in asking a GML to clarify why they reject an area, especially if you know the call may be incorrect. I will tell you this, our garrison is very strict being we're in Lucas's back yard. Our GML contacts me from time to time for details and my opinion of applicants. Given the fact the Andrew and myself are constantly learning, with this stuff in our face every day all day long, a GML may lose his touch if not in the mix daily..