Ukswrath's ANOVOS TK build (stunt)

ukswrath

Hi ukswrath , I'm excited to say I have all my pieces trimmed. I'm not sure if I read anywhere in your build thread that you sanded anything. Is this needed? I know some of edges will be hidden under the plastic seam covers. What would you recommend for exacto knife slips as well. I only had two, but they irk me!

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No sanding is needed. Nicks, dings and scrapes are par for the course here. Some can simply be rubbed out with Novus polish #2, some semi deep can be fixed with Novos polish #3, or I personally like to use a 3M headlight restoration kit, and some very deep scratches may require ABS past plus all the above. 

No sanding is needed. Nicks, dings and scrapes are par for the course here. Some can simply be rubbed out with Novus polish #2, some semi deep can be fixed with Novos polish #3, or I personally like to use a 3M headlight restoration kit, and some very deep scratches may require ABS past plus all the above.

Great! Thank you!!!!

Tony,

So I have made chest to back shoulder straps from white elastic, and measured and placed the sew on snaps for the shoulder bell. I only did the left arm so far to get it placed right, then I'll use the same measurements on the right side.

I offset the female snap towards the inside of the strap. Putting everything on, the white elastic gets pulled out a bit from under the plastic shoulder straps. I'm thinking that either I need to lessen the snap offset, but snapped it's perfectly lengthened to touch the ribbed strap. Tighten the bicep strap to hold the bell closer is a possibility , or maybe tighten the white elastic so it's more taught. I honestly think that's what it is, the bell is pulling on slack of the shoulder strap. If you think that's the case too, can I just move the snap plate on the back plate slightly back to cure that? Or there's always the it's fine the way it is. What do you think? Thanks!

B583FF37-69A3-42E5-B770-9D48E70E13EB.jpg

C2609624-C5AC-44A5-A7A9-BC81054F4769.jpg

60AA01ED-D259-4088-9AA8-AC2D4E53B152.jpg

B47B8021-2006-4029-8D37-044931FB01D2.jpg

Edited by Stratcat96

Hey Rob looking good, you can try to shortening the shoulder strap and I would definitely remove more of the lower bell return edge.

Success! I took your advice and took down the shoulder bell's return edge. Brought it down to about 5mm and it went together without pulling off to the side. Now all I have to do is strap the right arm together, and some other little things like paint my rivets and I should be good to go. Thank you!

4E1626CF-D36D-4984-8A38-AD3139F5853E.jpg

I actually looked into locktite as an option. It reacts chemically with ABS, turning it brittle. That's not worth the risk!

Somebody posted this on the WTF group on Facebook... I never expected Locktite to do this much damage!

q8ylPPEl.jpg

GTiV9kxl.jpg

Somebody posted this on the WTF group on Facebook... I never expected Locktite to do this much damage!

q8ylPPEl.jpg

GTiV9kxl.jpg

Dang how much did they put on there? it only takes a tiny amount to cover one or two threads. I'll remove that just to be safe in case others have the same issue. I did't have this problem.

I have no idea how much was used, and neither does the guy who posted the pictures. He bought the armor "ready to wear" from someone else... That guy screwed him!

I have no idea how much was used, and neither does the guy who posted the pictures. He bought the armor "ready to wear" from someone else... That guy screwed him!

Seriously!

You know, I saw those photos on FB as well, but I was on my phone at the time so they were a lot tinier. Now that I see the detailed shots larger, I really think that guy seriously glommed on a ton of loctite. I agree with Tony, for loctite (thread lock, is what we're talking about, not the ordinary superglue made by the same company), it only takes a tiny amount which should ONLY be on the screw threads, not poured all over the actual connection! As long as it's not touched the plastic (which it shouldn't, properly applied), I don't see why it would cause that much issue. Looking at the photos, it looks like there is blue Loctite smeared all over the place!

All that said, I'll be using a small dab of E6000 to secure the nuts to the screws, on mine. Again, it only takes a dab.

Edited by kman
  • Like 2

I am having a HECK of a time assembling the forearms. Any tips? Do I have the correct glue? I cannot seem to keep the strip centered, the 2 pieces together, or if I manage to, my spring clips or magnets seem to push the strip off center. Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks Ukswrath!

072ede49f6257cc76b160112c05f00d7.jpg

That's the right stuff. Glue a cover strip to just one side of the forearm(with half of it hanging off the edge) set it in place with clamps or magnets, and then in 12 hours or so, glue the hanging side to the other half of the forearm.

That's the right stuff. Glue a cover strip to just one side of the forearm(with half of it hanging off the edge) set it in place with clamps or magnets, and then in 12 hours or so, glue the hanging side to the other half of the forearm.

This worked for me. Thank you Kredal!

^^ Either that, or just use painters tape to secure the strip in place, so it can't drift when you clamp it. E6000 is slippery stuff! Definitely recommended to tape down EVERY part while you're gluing them.

• Like 1

^^ Either that, or just use painters tape to secure the strip in place, so it can't drift when you clamp it. E6000 is slippery stuff! Definitely recommended to tape down EVERY part while you're gluing them.

I'll try the painters tape on the second forearm. Lol

I've been watching this thread since it started and I'm currently in the ordering stage for the "blue" items and getting ready to start my build for a 10/31 completion.<br><br>

When sizing parts like forearms, shins, thighs, etc., what are you guys using as a gauge to fit your body size? IOW, what type of clearance works best? I'm guessing just a slight loose fit? Would a finger clearance when installed be a rough gauge?<br><br>

I'm 5' 8" and around 180 but losing weight and doing Insanity that should put me back to my normal weight of 160-165 before Halloween and my 501st application.

I've been watching this thread since it started and I'm currently in the ordering stage for the "blue" items and getting ready to start my build for a 10/31 completion.<br><br>

When sizing parts like forearms, shins, thighs, etc., what are you guys using as a gauge to fit your body size? IOW, what type of clearance works best? I'm guessing just a slight loose fit? Would a finger clearance when installed be a rough gauge?<br><br>

I'm 5' 8" and around 180 but losing weight and doing Insanity that should put me back to my normal weight of 160-165 before Halloween and my 501st application.

1/2" clearance minimum between you and the armor is a nice gauge. Not all areas will allow for this clearance, some will have more, some less. 

Excellent. That's kind of where I was headed with a finger width clearance. <br><br>

Thank you for such an excellent tutorial for us first timers. I've built cusotm lightsabers (Imperial Royal Arms), a Jedi costume for the RL, as well as other props but this is my first armor build and it's a little daunting. I just downloaded your 214? Page tutorial and will have it sitting on my bench as I go. Thank you for your contribution to us first timers. :)

Funny thing is now that I have it done she's been going to about half of the troops with me and helping out with spotting. She then commented, "We should have done this sooner, this is so fun! I thought that all the 'Star Wars people' we're just going to be a bunch of nerds, but they are just normal people who like Star Wars!" Well she was only a little wrong, we are "geeks"!! She does get sick of hearing about Star Wars ALL the time so I try to keep my Star Wars comments and stuff here and out of sight in my Garage/Workshop, but man if I don't want to build an R1 Shoretrooper so bad I can taste it!!!!

Jim - TK50899

Some of your local 501st or RL members might be doctors (I know a couple) or even airline pilots. ;)
  • Like 1

Some of your local 501st or RL members might be doctors (I know a couple) or even airline pilots. ;)

I know that several make really good $, not quite sure what they do exactly but when one guy says, "Man I like that TK, I think I'll get one", then a few troops later shows up with a full RS commission because he "Doesn't have the time" to build one (no offense to those that do the same) you know he's got a good paying job. I saved for 6-7 months and sold a whole bunch of stuff online just to scrape together enough to get mine!"

To each their own! Everyone in my Garrison and RL that I troop with are the most amazing people!!

Jim - TK50899

I know that several make really good $, not quite sure what they do exactly but when one guy says, "Man I like that TK, I think I'll get one", then a few troops later shows up with a full RS commission because he "Doesn't have the time" to build one (no offense to those that do the same) you know he's got a good paying job. I saved for 6-7 months and sold a whole bunch of stuff online just to scrape together enough to get mine!"

To each their own! Everyone in my Garrison and RL that I troop with are the most amazing people!!

Jim - TK50899

Excellent. That's kind of where I was headed with a finger width clearance. <br><br>

Thank you for such an excellent tutorial for us first timers. I've built cusotm lightsabers (Imperial Royal Arms), a Jedi costume for the RL, as well as other props but this is my first armor build and it's a little daunting. I just downloaded your 214? Page tutorial and will have it sitting on my bench as I go. Thank you for your contribution to us first timers. :)

My pleasure. More than just myself has contributed to this tread. We're all about troopers helping troopers here on whitearmor.  A huge thumbs up to all those have offered their time and talent to helping others.   :jc_doublethumbup:

So finally getting around to piecing my Anovos together. Got all the main parts cut out and starting with the forearms. My question  on the left one, what size am I sizing it to? Is it supposed to be tighter than what the piece is already? It's kind of tight on the elbow side (haven't trimmed off any of the gain), but the wrist side has got about 1/2 inch freedom especially after trimming the front gain. Is that about right? 

-shnar