Ukswrath's ANOVOS TK build (stunt)

ukswrath

I was reading over your section about the thighs and I didn't seem to see a clear explanation of what you did for the backs.  I glued the front cover strips and am looking to glue the backs and here is where my question lies.

The tops of the thighs fit great...if anything, maybe a tad snug, but still allows them to slide up and down.  The bottoms by the knees have a lot of extra room...Is it acceptable to taper the thigh down so that I'm taking off nothing at the top and a bunch down by the knee to allow them to fit?  

Picture 1 is what it would be more fitted to me knee; however, the movement feels somewhat restricted and I think that would be taking off too much.  Picture 2 is what it is like now.  Essentially the cut I'm looking to make is going to look like a really elongated triangle to get the knee to fit right.

IMG_6782_zpsilpkfl8s.jpg  IMG_6783_zpssgnl4zk4.jpg

The fronts are pretty cut and dry, or clear as you mentioned ;) . Afterwards you were to measure your thighs again. From there giving yourself a 1/2" gap between your skin and armor you should have a rough idea on how much to cut off the backs, if any.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35086-ukswraths-anovos-tk-build/page-13#entry462625

If you haven't cut any material off the back and yet they're too tight you may need to shim the back.

Is this the case or am I missing something?

Making this cut wouldn't prevent the thigh from sliding down.  I have enough room for the mid and top of the thigh to fit fine.  It's just that there seems to be a lot of excess around the knees...to the point where I could probably fit my whole hand into the extra on picture 2.  

I guess a more clear question would be...do you need to taper the thigh so that it's even throughout?  To use your picture as a reference, it would be something like this.  Like I said, not a straight up and down cut, but more of an angled cut (nothing off on the top, but a bit off on the bottom).  

left%20shin%20cut_zpsdih2qf0y.png

Making this cut wouldn't prevent the thigh from sliding down.  I have enough room for the mid and top of the thigh to fit fine.  It's just that there seems to be a lot of excess around the knees...to the point where I could probably fit my whole hand into the extra on picture 2.  

I guess a more clear question would be...do you need to taper the thigh so that it's even throughout?  To use your picture as a reference, it would be something like this.  Like I said, not a straight up and down cut, but more of an angled cut (nothing off on the top, but a bit off on the bottom).  

left%20shin%20cut_zpsdih2qf0y.png

Angled cuts are perfectly fine, "V" shaped thighs are what you want anyways. May I suggest you evenly split up the amount you want to remove between left and right sections.

Ha ha ha, I'm glad i follow this thread.

I just test fit my thighs. I workout and play soccer, and it looks like i don't need to trim at all. Man, i got REAL lucky.

Thanks for the insight, that helps me understand what to look for.

The fronts are pretty cut and dry, or clear as you mentioned ;) . Afterwards you were to measure your thighs again. From there giving yourself a 1/2" gap between your skin and armor you should have a rough idea on how much to cut off the backs, if any.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35086-ukswraths-anovos-tk-build/page-13#entry462625

If you haven't cut any material off the back and yet they're too tight you may need to shim the back.

Is this the case or am I missing something?

The tops of the thighs fit great...if anything, maybe a tad snug, but still allows them to slide up and down. The bottoms by the knees have a lot of extra room...Is it acceptable to taper the thigh down so that I'm taking off nothing at the top and a bunch down by the knee to allow them to fit?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Edited by El_Pablo

Hey Tony!<br><br>

I wondered if you know of any other way to clean out Anovos' glue from the rivet covers from their belt? You used a Dremmel in your section. Will acetone soften the glue at all? I'm trying to think of another way to clean them out without damaging them.<br><br>

Thank you!

Acetone will soften the belt! Don't use it! Best bet, I think, is cutting the cloth belt around the rivets, and gluing or snapping a new belt to the plastic one. I'll be attempting that on Thurs and see how it goes. (:

Acetone will soften the belt! Don't use it! Best bet, I think, is cutting the cloth belt around the rivets, and gluing or snapping a new belt to the plastic one. I'll be attempting that on Thurs and see how it goes. (:

I cut the cloth belt around the rivets, drilled them, then pried the covers off. The cool thing about drilling the rivets is that the heat makes that pink glue softer. I cleaned the button covers with the dremel, going slow and steady.

Here's a few tips :

1- Cover the buttons with painter's tape. You don't want to damage them!

2- Use a butter knife to pry off the button covers. You don't want a sharp blade slipping and damaging your plastic belt!

3- If you can't pry them off, better cut your losses and cut a square around the rivet at the back of the belt. Better that than having the plastic tear!

Oh, and good luck! :)

Hey Tony!<br><br>

I wondered if you know of any other way to clean out Anovos' glue from the rivet covers from their belt? You used a Dremmel in your section. Will acetone soften the glue at all? I'm trying to think of another way to clean them out without damaging them.<br><br>

Thank you!

If the covers are already off then yes a dremel was my best option because I could better control what I was trying to remove. I'm sure you could do the same with a exacto knife. As Josh stated stay away from acetone. I don't recommend heat either as the plastic around the area could melt. Take your time

Thanks for all the advice. Yes I have them separated from the Anovos belt already. I'm going to attempt using the Dremmel slowly and see how it goes. That is some extremely hard glue, whatever Anovos used for those!

Question for you fellas with sharper, more experienced eyes than myself.  I just received my replacement calf pieces from Anovos after cutting my originals out so that the wrongly labeled pieces fit together.  I put the old ones together anyway, as I was anxious to get into my armor.  Now that I have the new ones I want to make sure I'm putting the right pieces together.  The wrongly constructed ones are on the right, new on the left.  I have #28 and #25 together on the far left, #27 and #24 to the right of that.  Can anyone confirm these pairings look correct, or should I switch them?

post-24421-0-58722100-1466531034_thumb.jpg

Question for you fellas with sharper, more experienced eyes than myself.  I just received my replacement calf pieces from Anovos after cutting my originals out so that the wrongly labeled pieces fit together.  I put the old ones together anyway, as I was anxious to get into my armor.  Now that I have the new ones I want to make sure I'm putting the right pieces together.  The wrongly constructed ones are on the right, new on the left.  I have #28 and #25 together on the far left, #27 and #24 to the right of that.  Can anyone confirm these pairings look correct, or should I switch them?

The new pairing (the taped set) looks correct.  I can't really tell about the older set, since they're not lined up straight.

When you attach the sniper knee to the new set, do your best to get the plate flush with the cover strip.  Ideally they should touch in the center.

Edited by kman

Tony, perhaps you can give me some advice please. I had a hell of a time doing the back of my right thigh. I did just like you said and glued one side at a time, but when it came time to put the two together it was a nightmare. With another set of hands to help, I magneted and taped the heck out of it and it looks like for the time being its good to go. My fear is that as soon as I unclamp and untape it'll pop right back out. I thought about trying some 20mm cover strips inside, and maybe some heat to relieve the stress too before I undo it. Did you do anything special to prevent it from returning to its original shape after gluing? How do people usually handle this piece?

7EA44305-8F6E-4630-8A84-976B3BEC83E7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Stratcat96

Hey Rob, sorry for my absence, too busy these days to get to all my posts. It doesn't have to be perfect. If you let the glue dry for a couple days I bet it will come out ok and remain so. Post a updated pic afterwards so we can check it out.

Cheers 

Hey Rob, sorry for my absence, too busy these days to get to all my posts. It doesn't have to be perfect. If you let the glue dry for a couple days I bet it will come out ok and remain so. Post a updated pic afterwards so we can check it out.

Cheers

Thanks for the advice, will do!

Thanks for the advice, will do!

I know the pain man!

I redid that joint at least 6 times, inner and outer strips combined. I ended up using two locking pliers, a ton of magnet and an old wooden chest like this :

cb7d79ae5b42d7c57c9a1e16609f57c4.jpg

As crazy as it may sound, the chest allowed the two halves to flatten and keep flush until the glue dried. I could share a pict with you tomorrow, but it's like night and day!

Cheers

Ok, well after more than 48 hours dry time I unwrapped the thigh. Everything looks pretty good except for a few spots where the cover strip didn't appear to be set flush. I heated up the joint to relieve some of the stress of bending and noticed the glue was a little soft so I tried to use some magnets to put the strip more firmly down.. I don't know if it will do any good but I've cut some internal strips that I'll put on as a safety measure

14A9E4F7-208B-45C1-B46C-FD24A60B87EB.jpg

63F5E8E8-2BF7-478F-80C7-8133F7ABB604.jpg

Looks good. Once you clean off the glue you should be golden. Inner cover strips will strengthen the area also.

Quick question.. I cut my inner strips to 20mm so they would fit inside the well on either side of the seams of the fronts of my leg pieces. Would that 20mm strip be ok in back or should I have gone larger?

Quick question.. I cut my inner strips to 20mm so they would fit inside the well on either side of the seams of the fronts of my leg pieces. Would that 20mm strip be ok in back or should I have gone larger?

Inner cover strips are not required at any level of approval so technically you can make them any size you'd like ;).  

Inner cover strips are not required at any level of approval so technically you can make them any size you'd like ;).

Thank you lol. I was more curious along the lines of whether that would be sufficient to do the job. I guess any additional support is better than none!

Thanks again!

Thank you lol. I was more curious along the lines of whether that would be sufficient to do the job. I guess any additional support is better than none!

Thanks again!

I think you could get away with 15mm and still be good. Like you said any support will help. Keep up the good work  :duim:

Hey Tony, I've had a bit of a mess with the outside glue on the right forearm. While I was gluing it together, it appears that it all slipped a bit and the result was a gap between the two pieces and a visible slide of the cover strip. I have pictures.

This is a basic view of the whole situation:

Snapchat-7174065981343664176.jpg

This is a picture of the amount the cover strip slid off from where it was supposed to be:

Snapchat-6001571634370205184.jpg?t=14669

This is more of what the first picture is trying to show:

Snapchat-16614789577012644.jpg

In addition to these, I have measurements. The gap between the two pieces is about 2/5 cm and the distance the cover strip slid is about 1/2 cm.

My feeling is that I should take this connection apart and redo it, but what do you think?

Hey Tony, I've had a bit of a mess with the outside glue on the right forearm. While I was gluing it together, it appears that it all slipped a bit and the result was a gap between the two pieces and a visible slide of the cover strip. I have pictures.

This is a basic view of the whole situation:

This is a picture of the amount the cover strip slid off from where it was supposed to be:

This is more of what the first picture is trying to show:

In addition to these, I have measurements. The gap between the two pieces is about 2/5 cm and the distance the cover strip slid is about 1/2 cm.

My feeling is that I should take this connection apart and redo it, but what do you think?

Hey Tomas in the grans scheme of it all it's really not that bad however, if you're not satisfied you can try re-gluing it, this time adding painters tape to assist in holding the two sections together while it dries. Keep up the great work