Ukswrath's ANOVOS TK build (stunt)

ukswrath

The clamping force may be the key here. The tighter the circumference the more difficult it will be to align the two halves. I would suggest reapplying the strip and this time in addition to the clamps and magnets place something of weight on top of it, maybe like a heavy book. This should force the armor inward and together. 

Hope this helps

I'll give that a shot, but would you NOT recommend using CA glue in that gap then weighing it down until it cures?

Thanks!  You are the best!

If you're comfortable using CA glue go for it. I would glue the cover strip to the outer side first, let dry, remove any excess, then glue the right side. This should give you more control over the process.  

If you're comfortable using CA glue go for it. I would glue the cover strip to the outer side first, let dry, remove any excess, then glue the right side. This should give you more control over the process.  

I may try CA glue for this.  Thank you for the advice!

The clamping force may be the key here. The tighter the circumference the more difficult it will be to align the two halves. I would suggest reapplying the strip and this time in addition to the clamps and magnets place something of weight on top of it, maybe like a heavy book. This should force the armor inward and together.

Hope this helps

I had a similar issue with my calf and used a large clamp to squeeze the calf into a flat shape that then allowed the clamps to get a tight lock on the seam

Just to share a method I used.<br>

I cut 1" strips of Eva foam mat the length of the cover strip.<br>

Clamped, magnets, then laid the foam over the strip and used wire ties(zip ties) to apply added pressure on the piece.<br>

Worked really good.<br>

Don't over tighten the ties or it'll concave the butt ends.<br>

Look inside the piece while you tighten to be sure the joint has stayed flat.<br>

Place all the ties on the piece, then start from one end tightening them.<br>

Sorry I didn't take any photos of it.<br>

A tip, use a strip of foam on the opposite side to keep the wire ties from shifting.<br>

It gives them something to bite into instead of the slick surface of the armor.<br>

Robert

Hey Tony, completely indispensable thread for us beginners! I'm hoping you might be able to offer some advice..

I'm having a heck of a time with one of the forearms.. I've taken one side apart because the angle at which the two sides meet requires the whole piece to be compressed and rounded in order for the cover strip to have a flat surface to adhere to. Otherwise it just wants to fold flat. Once glued, the piece wants to flex back to its original shape and pulls away from the strip.

As I said, I took it apart and in looking at it I thought maybe I could wrap it with rubber bands and tape to keep it compressed and then glue an inner strip in first. After it cures finally put on the outer strip, but I'm not sure that will overcome the stress on the piece and keep it from pulling apart. Any advice you have would be REALLY appreciated because honestly it's frustrating. Thanks!

Here's the piece "open" and unglued. You can see the bow in one half.

832FC9FF-BE08-452A-934F-F41813E53E24.jpg

Here's the piece held closed and squeezed to be the right shape

CF784E56-642B-4970-B271-9EE607E1C7BC.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Stratcat96

As a piggy back on to Stratcat.

I have a little uncertainty about the butt connections I have read the build thread countless times but seeing as I usually learn best from watching or doing instead of the written word, I thought it be best to ask.

this is the diameter that feels right but do the butt connections look flush enough to apply the cover strip?

W53QP53.jpg?1 XL7AGzI.jpg?1 ss1dFQM.jpg?1

Edited by Professor Why

Hey Tony, completely indispensable thread for us beginners! I'm hoping you might be able to offer some advice..

I'm having a heck of a time with one of the forearms.. I've taken one side apart because the angle at which the two sides meet requires the whole piece to be compressed and rounded in order for the cover strip to have a flat surface to adhere to. Otherwise it just wants to fold flat. Once glued, the piece wants to flex back to its original shape and pulls away from the strip.

As I said, I took it apart and in looking at it I thought maybe I could wrap it with rubber bands and tape to keep it compressed and then glue an inner strip in first. After it cures finally put on the outer strip, but I'm not sure that will overcome the stress on the piece and keep it from pulling apart. Any advice you have would be REALLY appreciated because honestly it's frustrating. Thanks!

Here's the piece "open" and unglued. You can see the bow in one half.

832FC9FF-BE08-452A-934F-F41813E53E24.jpg

Here's the piece held closed and squeezed to be the right shape

CF784E56-642B-4970-B271-9EE607E1C7BC.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strong clamping force and tape. If you have to glue one side first, let dry, then the other.  :duim:

As a piggy back on to Stratcat.

I have a little uncertainty about the butt connections I have read the build thread countless times but seeing as I usually learn best from watching or doing instead of the written word, I thought it be best to ask.

this is the diameter that feels right but do the butt connections look flush enough to apply the cover strip?

W53QP53.jpg?1 XL7AGzI.jpg?1 ss1dFQM.jpg?1

Align the wrist side, the elbow side will be off set. Take a look at some other builds and EIB or Centurion threads

;)  

• Like 1

Very helpful tutorial. Thank you very much Ukswrath. Just submitted for Centurion. :)

Thank you. Reviewing your submission as we speak. Notice you submitted for both EIB and Centurion. We'll take care of EIB first. See you on the other side.

I have a couple of measuring and cutting questions.

On my right rear thigh I have this gap on the bottom.  This acceptable?  How should I go about fixing the gap?

post-23896-0-91672600-1462948523_thumb.png

On my right rear shin, the two sides aren't even.  The excess gap came to 20mm.  I decided to put 15mm on the left and 5mm on the right to somewhat even it out and keep a straight line down the middle.  I haven't cut anything yet because I'm concerned that might cut too much off.  It definitely fits properly on my leg.  However, if the shin is too tight...won't I put stress on the front trying to take it on/off?

post-23896-0-00850100-1462948525_thumb.png

Awesome thread, it's been a big help seeing how to do things. 

I do have a question, I got my TK boots Size 10, and I'm trying to fit the shins, specifically the ankle area. The top of the boot is so big that I can barely get it to close at the standard cut line, much less have any overlap to trim. 

It may be the angle I'm looking at them, but this appears to me to make my ankles look like Cankles. They look huge compared to the pictures I've seen. I can squeeze them in tighter, but then that completely restricts any ankle movement. 

It also looks like I am going to have to modify the back piece straps. I didn't think I was taller than a StormTrooper at 5'10" but to get my Posterior to sit in place, I have to lower the back piece about 2"..

Kevin

I have a couple of measuring and cutting questions.

On my right rear thigh I have this gap on the bottom.  This acceptable?  How should I go about fixing the gap?

attachicon.gif2016-05-08 23.10.46.png

On my right rear shin, the two sides aren't even.  The excess gap came to 20mm.  I decided to put 15mm on the left and 5mm on the right to somewhat even it out and keep a straight line down the middle.  I haven't cut anything yet because I'm concerned that might cut too much off.  It definitely fits properly on my leg.  However, if the shin is too tight...won't I put stress on the front trying to take it on/off?

attachicon.gif2016-05-10 23.07.23.png

I would encourage you to balance out the sides as much a possible. 

Here's an example of what I was trying to explain in my post above.<br>

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Well that's one way to do it.  :duim:

I do have a question, I got my TK boots Size 10, and I'm trying to fit the shins, specifically the ankle area. The top of the boot is so big that I can barely get it to close at the standard cut line, much less have any overlap to trim. 

It may be the angle I'm looking at them, but this appears to me to make my ankles look like Cankles. They look huge compared to the pictures I've seen. I can squeeze them in tighter, but then that completely restricts any ankle movement. 

It also looks like I am going to have to modify the back piece straps. I didn't think I was taller than a StormTrooper at 5'10" but to get my Posterior to sit in place, I have to lower the back piece about 2"..

Kevin

Not all boots are created equal, Some boots mfgs make their boots conform more to the leg, other don't. The boots should collapse inside the shin regardless.

Regarding the back piece, I talk about this issue in that section of the assembly. Due to how Anovos shaped the top sections it effects how the armor sections come together. You may have to make alterations, also discussed in that section.

Hope this helps

Kevin

FWIW, I also have TK Boots, size 10, and everything seems fine on the shins (ankle area, specifically). I didn't trim very much from the back of the shins, and definitely not until I had the shoes in hand to be sure of the final size.

If one shin is dramatically different from the other, you may not have them assembled correctly, in light of Anovos' mislabeling of the parts.

Edited by kman

FWIW, I also have TK Boots, size 10, and everything seems fine on the shins (ankle area, specifically). I didn't trim very much from the back of the shins, and definitely not until I had the shoes in hand to be sure of the final size.

If one shin is dramatically different from the other, you may not have them assembled correctly, in light of Anovos' mislabeling of the parts.

I've got the shins put together as stated here, they look correct according to all the pictures UK posted so I don't think that's an issue. 

I'd had to have to buy a new set of boots, I got these from TKboots, are Imperial boots better? 

Here's a thread showing the problem I am also having. 

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/36397-tkboots-ankle-too-wide-to-fit-shin-armor

I've got the shins put together as stated here, they look correct according to all the pictures UK posted so I don't think that's an issue. 

I'd had to have to buy a new set of boots, I got these from TKboots, are Imperial boots better? 

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/36397-tkboots-ankle-too-wide-to-fit-shin-armor

That's really strange, I'm not sure what the issue is.  As I said, I have size 10 TK Boots (from tkboots.com, purchased just a couple of months ago) and no such issues getting my shins to fit around them.  They look normal when wearing them.

20160506011236-d5de9587-la.jpg20160319234438-fcb0fd14-la.jpg

It's just the boots. tkboots makes his boots more elongated then Imperials. Both very nice with pros and cons on each. 

In order to fit my skinny arms after I trim the back of my biceps wil; not the same length (the top end on the inside is higher than the outside is this a problem or will that fact that the cover strip covers this be fine just like the forearms?

Here ya go... Hope it helps

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35086-ukswraths-anovos-tk-build/page-17#entry464978

• Like 1

I had looked at the photos prior but was having difficulty confirming that it would be ok but it looks like based on your right side the ends both go a little over so I should be fine, correct?

I had looked at the photos prior but was having difficulty confirming that it would be ok but it looks like based on your right side the ends both go a little over so I should be fine, correct?

Yep!

gallery_12157_59_74335.jpg

• Like 1