Ukswrath's ANOVOS TK build (stunt)

ukswrath

So something that I have heard other people doing that seems like it would work well: Cut off the old belt AROUND the rivets, leaving the rivets, cover bits, and glue alone.  Cut and glue strips of ABS to the back side of the plastic belt, between the raised sections.  Drill holes in those bridges, and rivet the new TKittel belt to them.  Maybe glue the ends of the plastic belt down onto the new belt to keep it curved, but all of the strength of it will be on the bridges.

I haven't tried this yet, but I will be doing it on my Shadow Trooper when it shows up.

Not a bad idea.

Looks like we'll be tag teaming Shadowtroopers builds when they arrive eh?

• Like 1

Not a bad idea.

Looks like we'll be tag teaming Shadowtroopers builds when they arrive eh?

Since I'm making the TFU trooper (see the bottom thread in my sig) it will take me longer to build it, since I'll be painting and attaching LEDs and ruining a perfectly good helmet!  (:

• Like 2

Since I'm making the TFU trooper (see the bottom thread in my sig) it will take me longer to build it, since I'll be painting and attaching LEDs and ruining a perfectly good helmet!  (:

Dude that's awesome

I am scared to death to pry the covers off. I have seen a few other build threads and it didn't go well. The middle one in particular doesn't leave lots of room to pry it off. I am currently on this part of my build and I have a Kittle belt. I am going to mess around with cutting the canvas away from the ABS and then afix the ABS to the front of the Kittle belt with industrial strength velco and/ or E6000 and see what happens. I will still attach the belt with snaps to the ab. I am taking pictures of the process and will post the results in a separate thread with a link here maybe if that is appropriate. This will not be a screen accurate way of putting the belt together so not for everyone, but in the spirit of "it doesn't show and won't affect higher levels of approval as long as it looks good" , I am willing to see how it winds up.

I drilled out the rivets to remove them from the belt.  I then used a snap blade knife and a jewelers saw to remove the covers.  This worked almost flawlessly on the ends but the centre one was to hard to get right so I ended up cutting into the belt by mistake.

I ended up just cutting out around the rivet as Kredal described then patching and filling the damage.  See the last page of my build for how I did it.  If  did it on purpose and you're neater than I was you wouldn't need to do the filling step.

Fantastic job on this build, Tony!  I've been following this thread fairly closely and have been waiting to begin my build until it was complete and approved.  Now that I'm getting ready to start, has anyone compiled your tutorial and weeded out the unrelated replies, etc. in to a single thread or PDF?  I'd love to print it out to have on hand when I begin but 1000+ posts makes that pretty unreasonable! ;-) 

Thanks again for doing this for all of us!  I'm hoping my build does it some justice!

• Like 2

Hey Bones, no but if you want to go for it ;)  :duim: . When you're finished we could post it at the beginning of the tutorial for others to download if they want.

Cheers 

• Like 2

New guy here!  Just wanted to say thank you to ukswrath for this thread, and all of the other members that contributed.  This build thread was integral to completing my build and getting approved.  Cheers!

New guy here!  Just wanted to say thank you to ukswrath for this thread, and all of the other members that contributed.  This build thread was integral to completing my build and getting approved.  Cheers!

You're welcome William, glad to be of service.  :duim:

I have two suspension kits remaining for $80 each, free shipping within the US.

I've had many contact me but due to a PM malfunction I've lost track of who contacted me and when, I've already sold 4 these and now have the remaining two. If you're your interested and you've contacted me before send me a PM with the initial interest date or PM link. I want to take care of those first before moving onto anyone else. BTW these are my final two kit, once they're gone that's it unless I can somehow get more of the fabric. 

Cheers

Hi Tony,

Sorry for being the 100th person asking you about the shins but I'm finally at that part of my build and I don't want to mess up.  I initially had them set up as the anovos instructions mentioned before I found this thread.  The top picture with the shins and the joint covers to the side shows the shins following the anovos instructions 28+27 and 24+25 (going from left to right)

The bottom picture is your recommended configuration 28+25 and 24+27.  Is the bottom set up correct?

Edited by Refugee

Hey Tony, a question about polishing.

This ANOVOS kit is not very shiny, as we all know. Are you using Novus #1 & #2 to bring out a greater shine from it, or will Novus #1 be sufficient?

Also, what kind of cloth do you find works best for buffing?

I'd like extra shiny on mine, not going Sandy, just wondering if #1 alone would do the job.

Thanks!

Bill

Hi Tony,

Sorry for being the 100th person asking you about the shins but I'm finally at that part of my build and I don't want to mess up.  I initially had them set up as the anovos instructions mentioned before I found this thread.  The top picture with the shins and the joint covers to the side shows the shins following the anovos instructions 28+27 and 24+25 (going from left to right)

The bottom picture is your recommended configuration 28+25 and 24+27.  Is the bottom set up correct?

Looks correct yes

Hey Tony, a question about polishing.

This ANOVOS kit is not very shiny, as we all know. Are you using Novus #1 & #2 to bring out a greater shine from it, or will Novus #1 be sufficient?

Also, what kind of cloth do you find works best for buffing?

I'd like extra shiny on mine, not going Sandy, just wondering if #1 alone would do the job.

Thanks!

Bill

I use a Novus polish with a 3M buffing pad from a 3M headlight restoration kit and a corded drill. I buff out the entire armor in about 15-20 minutes.

• Like 2

Question about the positioning of the backplate, kidney plate, and butt plate.  

They're all supposed to line up without gaps and be pretty much uniform across the back.  I tried taping the pieces up together last night so I could get a fit idea for one of T. Kittle's belts.  I couldn't get a measurement because having the kidney and butt plate where they need to be leaves a bout a 3-4" gap between the Kidney and the Back plate.  I'm only 5'11 1/2" (I round up to 6'0") and I know others haven't had much of an issue.

Am I just wearing these pieces wrong?  I've looked at reference pics from others and something just doesn't seem right.

Hey Jason, I think I know what your talking about but for starters if you purchased the correct size belt from kittle you shouldn't have to worry about that fitting. As for rear armor fitment at 5'11 you shouldn't have much to be concerned with except for possibly the back plate near your shoulders. Instead of having a gradual taper upwards the Anovos design practically does a 90 degree into your back. If that's the case you may have to make some alterations to that section of the armor. If you have any pics or a build thread we could help you out more.

I'm looking to buy one from Kittle...but he needs the waist measurement (preferably with the armor on) and that what I'm trying to figure out.  I'm going to try to get a few pictures tonight of the back to kidney connection.  

Edited by E_Palpatine
  • Like 2

Hi Tony!

I've been following your build and started my own. I'm actually using inner strips though, as it seems more robust and easier to glue on the cover strips that way.

I've glued my left forearm and it was pretty straightforward. I'm doing the right, sized it up like you've shown in your tutorial. I've trimmed it down so there's less than a quarter inch difference in diameter between the two, I can live with that!

So I glued the round side of the right forearm, one half at a time and the butt joint looks flat and solid, so I should have no problem gluing the outer strip. I am however a little worried as the two sides are pretty far from one another. Like, much farther that in your pictures. Here's how it looks :

babe1eef9e591d4340231651870c1c18.jpg

Now, while I do think it should come together fine once glued, but I'm a little worried that there might be too much tension on the joints... The shape of the right forearm being more oval than round, like the left one, I expected that but I'm wondering if a hot water bath might be in order?

Edited by =Sv3=

Hey David a hot water bath is the last resort. As long as you can get your had through the end I would glue the strip on then follow it up with painters tape to hold everything together while the glue cures,

Hey David a hot water bath is the last resort. As long as you can get your had through the end I would glue the strip on then follow it up with painters tape to hold everything together while the glue cures,

Great thanks! I don't have big hands so that's thankfully not an issue...

I can put both ends together, just takes a little convincing It's just a little nerve wracking when you start doubting yourself...

Thanks for the help!

Edited by =Sv3=

Hi Tony and all!

I may be sweating details a bit too much, but the painting of the ab buttons has been a constant source of disappointment. I have re-done the painting several times. I know the paint isn't meant to be perfect, but I am trying for decent circles, but the sides of the buttons are not very well defined in this armor. So, the paint runs down the sloping sides. I posted a trick I happened upon using a toothpick to paint and I have decent circles, but I wanted an opinion on whether the paint job is good enough.

Here are the smaller buttons:

IMG_3275_zpse0o18xhx.jpg

And the larger control panel.

IMG_3276_zpsijkhoann.jpg

Will this do? I don't want to get into the" 1/3 inferior" part not being painted earlier in this thread. Am I good or do I get more thinner and go at it again?

Thanks for the input. Just waiting for double cap rivets and my undersuit from Anovos and I will be done. Looking for a Canadian blaster but won't need one yet for basic approval.