SlyFox's ANH Stunt Build [*AP]

SlyFox740

So after much research, planning and some patience the initial wait is over. My dream of joining the 501st is now beginning to become a reality. Big Brown Box Day has finally arrived, It's here and I couldn't be more excited! This is the latest Authentic Props kit with the new upgrades and features, so I guess we could call this an "AP 2.0". While I was waiting I collected and ordered some other items for this build which I will list but first let's just get right to the good stuff and take a look at the new kit.

Generic photo of the Big Brown Box as it arrived.

Law9Z24.jpg

Let's open up this box and see what's inside.

jDLkD8B.jpg

Everything laid out. So much shiny white plastic! The only extra accessory I ordered is the genuine leather holster.

p6sROoZ.jpg

New upgraded AB Plate complete with the notch in the bottom of the right vertical 4 button base. Also the center button base is complete with the indented rectangle near the top and the circle in the bottom right corner, these additions allows the choice of building either a Stormtrooper or Sandtrooper, Major Bonus! Mark has also added an extra 3" length to both sides of the AB Plate so bigger troopers don't have to use shims anymore, up to 38" waist! Another "big" bonus, no pun intended.

HE6TTHL.jpg

Here's the new upgraded Kidney Plate which is now molded separate from the butt plate. Complete with accurate kidney notches for centurion! Also return edges similar to that of RS or TM. Mark has also added an extra 3" length to each side of the kidney plate as well.

nuh9pVp.jpg

6T89HVC.jpg

Back Plate. All this armor is cast very well, great detail! nice thick ABS. A very nice color white with a beautiful shine to it.

9gk1gS9.jpg

Butt Plate complete with return edges similar to that of RS or TM, again this is now cast separate from the kidney plate.

fOvkP92.jpg

48BYPi9.jpg

Chest Plate.

pirqoPD.jpg

All Leg Parts have been revised, including correct inner left shin. These new AP thighs and shins no longer use the "overlap" method. They are now designed to use the "butt joint" method (Centurion) and they line up perfect!

Since they no longer overlap there is about an extra 2" on all leg parts when putting two halves together.

06bPLfd.jpg

Arm Parts.
ngmc8Ly.jpg

Shoulder Bells

5Sih8dK.jpg

Thermal Detonator and Handguards. Thermal Detonator End Caps have been revised.

Yltiwxp.jpg

Ears, Drop Boxes complete with inner drop boxes, Ab Buttons, Belt cover plates, Knee Plate, Shoulder straps, Thigh Pack, Ammo Belt.

(Note: This Sniper Knee Plate is for a Stormtrooper only. Sandtrooper knee plates are sold separately)

n5ScvBd.jpg

The Bucket and Face Plate.

MIvyd5m.jpg

FY4J3LA.jpg

Holster, Thermal Detonator pipe, Decals, Rivets & various parts, Accurate Hovi Mic tips now included!

Kely3HS.jpg

I'm still collecting some of the things needed for my build, please feel free to let me know If I need to add anything to my shopping list.

ADDITIONAL ITEMS:

1. White Chelsea Boots (Imperial Boots or TK Boots)

2. White Canvas Belt

3. Under Suit

4. Neck Seal

5. Holster

6. Latex/Rubber Hand Guards

7. Rubber Gloves

8. Metal Thermal Detonator Clips

9. Black Pan Head Machine Screws & Nuts

10. Aker Voice Amp

11. E-11 Blaster (Work In Progress)

SUPPLY & TOOL LIST:

1. E-6000

2. Tandy Line 24 Snaps 5/16 Post

3. Snap Setter

4. Nylon Strapping

5. Elastic - Various Sizes

6. Velcro - Various Sizes

7. Testors Paints 

8. Paint Brushes - Various sizes

9. Painters Tape

10. Exacto Knife

11. Dremel or Rotary Tool

12. Large Tounge Depressors

13. China Pencil

14. Coffee Stir Sticks & Popsicle Sticks

15. Tin Snips (left, right, straight cut)

16. Lexan Scissors (Curved & Straight Blades)

17. Heavy Duty Utility Knife (Notice the safety gloves near all the sharp tools)

18. Half-Round Steel File

19. Small Clamps

20. Needle File Set

21. Sandpaper 3M 220 grit

22. Sanding Block sponge type 180 grit

23. Rare Earth Magnets

24. Flexible Steel Ruler with Cork Backing

25. Long Adjustable Square

26. Small Handsaw

27. Cutting Mat

28. Paint Mixing Sticks

29. Plasti Dip

30. Lepage Super Glue with Primer Pen (for rubber handguards)

31. Heat Gun

32. Soldering Iron

33. Novus Plastic Polish #1,2,& 3

34. 8mm Split Rivets

35. Speed Rivets/Single Cap Rivets

36. Chicago Screws

37. Small Hammer

38. Electric Drill & Drill Bits

OPTIONAL TOOLS:

1. Heat Sealing Iron

2. Rivet Gun Set with Aluminum Rivets

SNhU5zO.jpg

I'm so excited to get started on this but I will keep my patience throughout the process. Please comment and follow my build, I appreciate any and all help I can get on this forum. Thanks in advance :salute:

Edited by SlyFox740
  • Like 9

As a newbie I will be following your thread closely . Hopefully I'll receive my armour from AP very soon as well.

Also, I was under the impression that the AB buttons were built into the AB armour? This does not seem to be the case.

Edited by drunken hutt
  • Like 2

As a newbie I will be following your thread closely . Hopefully I'll receive my armour from AP very soon as well.

Also, I was under the impression that the AB buttons were built into the AB armour? This does not seem to be the case.

AP gives you the option to either go Sandtrooper or Stormtrooper...
  • Like 1

I received my Imperial Boots in the mail this week, they look great! These are a high quality product, very nice white leather. The soles are actually completely black on the bottom, I seen another pair somebody posted with soles that were only partially black on the bottom so this was a pleasant surprise. I also noticed the "U" shaped elastic part on these Imperial Boots are a little taller than on the TK Boots.

Now everyone including the company that makes these recommend that your order one full size up. I actually normally wear size 11, but my feet are size 10-1/2 exactly and will fit tightly into a pair of 10-1/2 shoes (Converse or Vans).

I should also mention that my feet are not wide like most guys, and these boots fit narrow which is the whole reason they suggest ordering a size up. I've resorted to wearing a size 12 before when I couldn't find my regular size, but in my experience a size 12 fits a little loose and feels a bit too big on me. Not only does size 12 feel too big on me, it actually looks too big on me as well. To the point I've actually had people say something to me before while wearing size 12.

So being that these are for a costume and appearances are everything, I REALLY wanted to avoid the clown feet effect!  I'm not just picking out a pair of work boots here, people are actually going to see me in these so I was very hesitant to order a full size up, The website suggests using insoles if a full size up turns out to be too big as it's easier and cheaper than shipping back a smaller pair that won't fit at all, but I didn't feel this was the solution for me...I care about the appearance of my footwear and I wanted the correct size.

So after much thought I decided to order them in my regular size 11 in hopes that they would fit somewhat comfortably.

Turns out these boots fit me absolutely perfect in Size 11, I'm actually quite impressed by how comfortable they are!

Like slippers :jc_doublethumbup: They go on a little snug while slipping them over your heels but that's normal for any chelsea boots.

Not too narrow on me at all, walking around in them feels good. I'm glad I ordered my normal size. Also it should be noted that the white color of these Imperial Boots match the AP armor perfectly, Major Bonus! One happy trooper here :D

The boots also come with an embroidered patch from Imperial Boots. Free gifts are always a bonus

image_zps8dhyipqu.jpeg

image_zps8aq0ikoy.jpeg

Edited by SlyFox740
  • Like 3

i did the same with my Imperial Boots - since I tend to wear narrow widths, I went with a size 9, and it fits perfectly compared to my usual size 8 1/2 shoe.

If I had wider feet, I think I would have to go another size up as well.

Edited by Sentry71
  • Like 1

Okay so today I went hunting for more supplies I needed for my build. Thanks to a tip from TK 2759 I was able to find a heat sealing iron at a local hobby shop, they actually had a used one on sale for $10 so I bought that one as I'm not sure if I'll need it yet or not. I am a big fan of the upper thigh notch so I may end up needing it one day. Also my father found a dremel for me so I don't need to buy one. My brother let me borrow his heat gun so I don't need to buy one. I was able to find most of the other supplies I needed so I'm almost ready to actually begin my build and start cutting. This kit has been a long time coming and I've wanted to join the 501st since I was just a teenager, so you can imagine I'm a bit nervous to make my first cut.

I also recently converted my AP holster from ESB to ANH so I thought I should post that here as well for anyone following the build process.

When I ordered my kit from Authentic Props I decided to add the Genuine Leather Holster to my order because it was a good deal. Also I'm in Canada and the exchange rate on $USD is not good at the moment so ordering one from the states would be that much more expensive. When I asked Mark about these holsters, he told me that he makes them this way so that his holsters can be used for either ANH or ESB. He also said It's way easier to convert ESB to ANH than it is to convert ANH to ESB. I'm building ANH Stunt so this is how I converted my holster to ANH style.

This is how the AP Holsters come, the leather loops that go around the canvas belt and secure the holster are ESB style.

The holsters in ANH utilized single straps that were fastened to the canvas belt from behind, not loops over the belt.

These loops are held in place with Chicago Screws so removing and modifying them is extremely easy.

image_zpswjt03mm1.jpeg

Using this ANH holster template from Troopermaster as a reference guide I converted the straps to ANH style. This can be done by using the existing loops to cut straps and the little 3/4" leather squares that are fastened to them at the base.

I've seen many centurion applications that have done this with their AP holsters and were approved just fine.

TM-ANHdimensions.jpg

I wouldn't say that using black straps to attach the holster to the belt is not "screen accurate" because I have seen posts on here where people were able to capture screenshots of at least one trooper with black straps on his holster, However most of the stormtroopers in ANH have un-dyed natural leather color straps securing their holsters to the belt, as well as most troopers in the 501st. So I made new straps using a scrap piece of leather I found, you can use an old belt or anything leather really. I then used the existing black loops to cut the little 3/4" leather squares that are fastened to the base of the straps. Using the template above I also trimmed the trapezoidal cut line where the blaster sits to be the same as Troopermaster's template, not sure if this is screen accurate but this seems to be the most popular shape among centurion applications. To do this I had to use a sewing needle to pull out some of the stitching on the right and re-tie the knot lower, a little tedious but it was pretty easy overall. It looks the way I want now, I'm happy with the results.

image_zpswmh2oa0q.jpeg

Here is a comparison photo of before and after. ESB on the left, ANH on the right.

image_zps47hashok.jpegPlease don't hesitate to comment or critique my work

Edited by SlyFox740
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Bare with me troopers I'm still just doing the rough trimming here, I started with the small pieces and moved on to the larger parts. I will post photos once I have something to show. I'm purposely taking my time with all of this as I know patience is key, they say slow and steady wins the race. Plus this is something I've wanted since I was about 16 or 17 years old, I'm 31 now so you can imagine the mixture of both anticipation and hesitation to start cutting my nice new shiny armor. Anyways after a bit of "first cut fear" I took the dive and started on the ABS hand guards, I plan on getting rubber/latex ones so I figured if I messed them up it wouldn't be a total catastrophe. Then the biceps, forearms and calves, and then I'll be onto the thighs.

• Like 2