Trooper horror stories

Just for the protocol to end this rumor right here and now:

"Dark father" would translate to "dunkler Vater" in german and not even remotely to Darth Vader.

Dutch would be much more appropriate, as this translates to "dark vader" ...

There you go, dutch, not german.

Sorry for hijacking ...

Not correct.

Here, in the neighbourhood to the dutch border, there are old dialects that use that, too.

No particular order

- Last "general request" b-day party I ever did we walked into the living room and about 20 kids hopped up on cake and candy started to wail on me and another TK with lightsabers. Luckily Chewie was with us an let out a roar that stopped it before the parents decided to react. Never forget, never again.

- Halloween parade in a place called Little 5 Points here in Atlanta. A pretty raucous place. Two stories from that one. 1st there was some woman from the crowd who was completely blitzed out of her mind sloppy, drunk and disgusting. She kept getting in front of the troopers and trying to *gag* grind on them. It was a sickening display. I was able to sidestep her so I didn't need to burn my armor later. Second incident, after the parade I was walking back to my car, stupidly alone. Heard some drunken frat boys bloviating abut something like, "Hey man arrreeee youuu duh Death Star, something, something ..." I just kept walking then saw a pumpkin fly about 3 feet from my head, arch over the parking lot and hit a parked BMW putting a sizeable dent in it. I spun around towards them just in time to see an Atlanta cop give that dipshucks a full body flying tackle for his trouble. Lesson learned, if you're ever in costume around drunks be sure and buddy up and if possible have a non-costumed handler at all times present.

- Atlanta Braves game. Done this a number of times and costuming around folks drinking rules apply as above. One troop, later in the event I went with another TK into the tunnel to take photos with folks. A completely soused couple walk up, mom starts grinding on us, dad making a display of himself swearing and egging her on as he takes pics. Whole time they have a little girl, 10 or so trailing behind them who looked mortified. I can't recall what it was exactly, but the Dad said something totally inappropriate and me and the other TK called him on it and made his look even more like a jerk. He deserved it but I hated that it happened in front of the little girl. I walked right back to the changing room and left for the night. 

What I've learned is that many kids can't hold their cake and many adults can't hold their booze and they act about the same when they cross that threshold.

Edited by James
  • Like 4

Didn't happen to me..but two of my garrison mates, on seperate occasions got shot in the eye during Blast a Trooper. Both wear RS..so the Nerf dart went straight through the flimsy lense material and struck them in the face!

I was just starting to go through the door and her eyes got really big and wide, she put her hand on my chest and started pushing all the while, just repeating ..No...No....No...No...  I backed up as I didn't want her to completely flip out.  No telling what she would have done.

• Like 1

I don't know it is with ppl (especially males) when they see a stormtrooper.  But, ppl love to bang on the armor and men love to punch or slap the bucket!  It's happened to me every time I've worn my TK out.  Luckily, they haven't been drunk and punched/slapped me fairly gently.  But ordinarily, ppl wouldn't just walk up to someone and bang/punch/slap them on any part of their body! LOL

Also, I think seeing a live stormtrooper, ppl let go of their usual inhibitions and think of you as a character from a movie only.  Ladies you don't know walking on the street will approach you and touch/hug you!!!!

Edited by hon143

Didn't happen to me..but two of my garrison mates, on seperate occasions got shot in the eye during Blast a Trooper. Both wear RS..so the Nerf dart went straight through the flimsy lense material and struck them in the face!

Odd....the green film sheets that most TK buckets use seem thick enough to withstand a nerf gun "blast".  Maybe it's just the attachment to the bucket inside?  And, the nerf bullet had enough force to dislodge the lens?  Is that it?

I was just starting to go through the door and her eyes got really big and wide, she put her hand on my chest and started pushing all the while, just repeating ..No...No....No...No...  I backed up as I didn't want her to completely flip out.  No telling what she would have done.

WTH.....who gives her the right to touch anyone in that manner!  But again, I think when ppl see ppl in costume, they disassociate the fact that there's an actual person inside.  They only see the character.  So, normal etiquette is out the door!

I had a kid (7 or 8 years old) at the TFA premier who ran up and punched me in the cod several times, and then tried to take my T-21.  The parents simply watched in amusement and laughed about it!  Then, the father had the audacity to demand "Come over here for picture".  Luckily a handler stopped it, and I walked away.  Yet another reason never to troop alone or without a handler!

I'd like to say that is unbelievable, but sadly - I can believe it!  Sorry you got junk punched.

My only weird experience was a few years ago.  I was holding my expensive DSL camera - trying to get some pics of my garrison mates.  I started getting swatted at + grabbed by 1 kid at a toys-for-tots event.  I just kept backing up from this pre-teen boy who had his hands all over me. I kept my camera above his head while his mother kept telling him to stop - to no avail.  I'm not sure if he had some developmental issues or if he was a punk, so I walked away and put my camera back in my car. My TK friend came looking for me to make sure I was ok - which I was. :) I was so thankful I had my armor on! 

Yah... never troop alone!

p.s. Thanks Mark Williams, if you are reading this!

• Like 1

...I think when ppl see ppl in costume, they disassociate the fact that there's an actual person inside.  They only see the character.  So, normal etiquette is out the door!

Exactly. Think of it as one of those big furry characters at Disneyland or a sports mascot. People assume it's always cool to run up and hug them, so why not you? ;)

We also had one kid at a hockey game that was out of control. Maybe 8 or 10 yrs old. Wailing on troopers with a light saber and trying to grab their guns. Mom and Dad were pathetic. "No, don't, stop .. stop son .. now stop that .. son .. stop that." Finally one TK in our group took off her bucket and went from costumed character to wrath of mother nature + grandma rules + mom at breaking point + fed up teacher in about .00002 seconds. I think the parents were more scared and ashamed than the kid.

• Like 6

What I think a lot of people, adults, don't realize is that this armour costs more than most people make in a week, and are custom built to each trooper... A lot of individual time and effort has gone into the production and upkeep of the armour...

• Like 6

Here's a non-TK horror story that turns the tables ...

Boo in the Zoo last year. A girl about 9 or 10 years old wasn't exactly in the spirit of the day and just kept repeating, "You're not real! You're not real! You're not real!"

I tried a couple of gestures like arms akimbo or drying my eyes like I was crying but she kept at it. Sooooo I stuck my finger up my nose, rooted around for a minute and then "wiped" it on her arm.

As I snitched away I heard her mortified squeal-

"THAT! IS! DISGUSTING!!"

Moral of the story, if you grow up too fast you get snitch boogers on you.

Thus endeth the lesson.

01%2012_zpsusyafnyz.jpg

• Like 7

That is the best story (and best picture) I've seen all day. :)

I read it before scrolling down to see the picture, and was thinking "wait, how'd you get your finger up your TK nose? Or does he mean his REAL nose?"...and then I scrolled down and LOL'd. :duim:

Edited by aramis
  • Like 3

Me and my mate, did a couple of gigs at a cinema before Christmas for the release of the new film. On the second night one of the managers brought his lightsabers with him so people could hold them whilst having a photograph taken with us. I got hit on the bucket four times, the last time was by a kid of about 6 years old. I told him not to do it as it wasn't funny, he replied with " oh, it is!! " I said " I'll show you how funny it is in a minute! " he then went to do it again, so I grabbed the lightsaber and stepped out the photo. His dad didn't even apologise!

......chasing my inner soul!

• Like 2

Me and my mate, did a couple of gigs at a cinema before Christmas for the release of the new film. On the second night one of the managers brought his lightsabers with him so people could hold them whilst having a photograph taken with us. I got hit on the bucket four times, the last time was by a kid of about 6 years old. I told him not to do it as it wasn't funny, he replied with " oh, it is!! " I said " I'll show you how funny it is in a minute! " he then went to do it again, so I grabbed the lightsaber and stepped out the photo. His dad didn't even apologise!

......chasing my inner soul!

As I like to say (about that dad and kid) ... RUUUUU!

• Like 1

Does the first time I needed to use the bathroom during a convention count as a horror story? It had a happy ending, but I figured out the wrong way to strap a Stormtrooper suit together.

I need a tutorial for this...

Maybe not a video, though :D . My undersuit is one piece, so is gonna be a tricky thing to achieve!

Here's a non-TK horror story that turns the tables ...

Boo in the Zoo last year. A girl about 9 or 10 years old wasn't exactly in the spirit of the day and just kept repeating, "You're not real! You're not real! You're not real!"

I tried a couple of gestures like arms akimbo or drying my eyes like I was crying but she kept at it. Sooooo I stuck my finger up my nose, rooted around for a minute and then "wiped" it on her arm.

First read that as you stuck your finger up her nose.... much less mortified the second time I read it. lol. Good job!

No particular order

- Last "general request" b-day party I ever did we walked into the living room and about 20 kids hopped up on cake and candy started to wail on me and another TK with lightsabers. Luckily Chewie was with us an let out a roar that stopped it before the parents decided to react. Never forget, never again.

- Halloween parade in a place called Little 5 Points here in Atlanta. A pretty raucous place. Two stories from that one. 1st there was some woman from the crowd who was completely blitzed out of her mind sloppy, drunk and disgusting. She kept getting in front of the troopers and trying to *gag* grind on them. It was a sickening display. I was able to sidestep her so I didn't need to burn my armor later. Second incident, after the parade I was walking back to my car, stupidly alone. Heard some drunken frat boys bloviating abut something like, "Hey man arrreeee youuu duh Death Star, something, something ..." I just kept walking then saw a pumpkin fly about 3 feet from my head, arch over the parking lot and hit a parked BMW putting a sizeable dent in it. I spun around towards them just in time to see an Atlanta cop give that dipshucks a full body flying tackle for his trouble. Lesson learned, if you're ever in costume around drunks be sure and buddy up and if possible have a non-costumed handler at all times present.

- Atlanta Braves game. Done this a number of times and costuming around folks drinking rules apply as above. One troop, later in the event I went with another TK into the tunnel to take photos with folks. A completely soused couple walk up, mom starts grinding on us, dad making a display of himself swearing and egging her on as he takes pics. Whole time they have a little girl, 10 or so trailing behind them who looked mortified. I can't recall what it was exactly, but the Dad said something totally inappropriate and me and the other TK called him on it and made his look even more like a jerk. He deserved it but I hated that it happened in front of the little girl. I walked right back to the changing room and left for the night. 

What I've learned is that many kids can't hold their cake and many adults can't hold their booze and they act about the same when they cross that threshold.

I grew up NW of Atlanta so I'm familiar with Little Five Points. That place can be scary during the day, let a lone when all the freaks come out at night. 

I grew up NW of Atlanta so I'm familiar with Little Five Points. That place can be scary during the day, let a lone when all the freaks come out at night. 

Yeah the parade was during the day, but the amateurs we're out in force for the festival. Most of the crowd was great, lots of parents and kids. That made me even more disgusted and/or angry at the behavior of the troop tramp and the drunken pumpkin tosser. 

• Like 1

We had a troop at our local Toys'R'Us recently. Some teenagers appeared and played cool and laughed around while trying to bang our armor. THat was just annoying and turned us from the children that where waiting for some photos. Fortunatley our Darth Vader just turned around to them, breathing, with no word - he just looked those 2 ft. down at them. The were suddently quite stunned and kept the distance...  Vader really works :D

• Like 9