Hero never die! (screen used stormtrooper helmet)

Verne

I just don't get this obsession with Humbrol paints. Back in 1976 I was a keen styrene kit builder . Humbrol paints were rare in the uk back then , Airfix brand paints were far more common and easily available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Humbrol paints were rare in the uk back then , Airfix brand paints were far more common and easily available.

I agree, but I believe Airfix paints are no longer available. If you go on the Airfix website, they stock Humbrol paints.

The collectors seem to have a full ANH stormtrooper suit as well.

Any one know any more about this?

Yes. I believe that suit was owned by Jason Joiner. It is not an original and has a fibreglass helmet. There were twoof them auctioned several years ago and I have some photos of them somewhere.

Colour%20Comparison_zpssdd83bnj.jpg

I love this comparison!

The only problem with kind of thing is that you could agree on a certain colour and then another photo of the very same helmet shows up in a different light and it throws the colours off. That said, I think the #96 does look to be the best match.

Any chance you could make similar comparisons with other found helmets? It would be great to see how they compare :)

I agree, but I believe Airfix paints are no longer available. If you go on the Airfix website, they stock Humbrol paints.

Yes. I believe that suit was owned by Jason Joiner. It is not an original and has a fibreglass helmet. There were twoof them auctioned several years ago and I have some photos of them somewhere.

Did Joiner sell his stunt suit with the squib hole in the chest?  I saw that at a star wars convention with Gary Kurtz back in 1997.  They only had that stormtrooper suit on display at that time.

These collectors have a stunt helmet as well in their collection.  I take it that is the fiberglass one?

Edited by mods1965

Thanks, Andy :duim:

That is really helpful. Looking at the colours I do not see a very good match to any of them. I think I will paint a strip of ABS with some of the real colours and see if we can come to a conclusion.

I checked my paints and I do not have the #96 but do have the #109. #221 is on its way to me and I will pick up some #96 later this week. It is hard to say whether the grey is gloss or satin since it can look to be either in some photos? I have several greys too so I will paint a test strip with those too :)

• Like 1

I went to my local hobby store yesterday and picked up a tin of #157 Azure Blue and it looks a good colour. The #96 was much darker in reality and resembled #15 Midnight Blue so I did not buy it. My tin of #221 Garter Blue also arrived yesterday and I will paint some testers later today :)

• Like 1

This may be a dumb question but why are we trying to color match faded paint? Most paints not properly protected that see ANY light of day or climate fluctuations will change within a short amount of time. Is this being done for prosperity reasons? Just curious

Is it even shure that they used the same paint on all of this helmets?

What if the art department even used that "blue" what they have at their desk at that moment? Maybe next day another tin?

Same with the grey of the hero helmets, are they manufactured later than the bunch of stunt?

This helmet has yellowed much, so i expect the paint used even shifted or faded the same way

Edited by Toxx
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...