Hero never die! (screen used stormtrooper helmet)

Verne

FWkR6N9l.jpg

More about the story?? https://youtu.be/GRzmayjpc1k?list=FL5aJF0lUHEzeNnKusrqUDNw (sorry it's in french)

And here: http://thepropden.aokforums.com/wanna-see-where-many-star-wars-props-screen-used-ends-vt4853.html

So we have one from the LFL archives, one from a private collection (the one copied by EFX Collectibles) and this one from another private collector.

3 Hero's helmets from 6 initially made. (the the doubt about the one refurbished for ESB)

Edited by Verne
  • Like 4

I'm speechless.

They're right to keep the location of this collection secret because I would heist it! I met P. Girod in December, but wish I had known about that collection before so I could ask him few questions...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That is a really amazing collection!

Although it is still a little difficult to follow due to the translation, you can turn on the subtitles by clicking on the CC box in the lower right, and then go to the Settings Gear and select English as the subtitle language.

Getting part of the story here and there is still better than not getting it at all, but seeing some pretty pictures. ;)

• 1 month later...

I would say this is the promo helmet. Teeth and vocoder has been repainted but the tube stripes look to be identical.

FWkR6N9l.jpg

whole%20hero%20helm2.jpg

Paul, wouldn't you say that this one in the Lucasfilm archives is the promo helmet? It looks closer to my eyes anyway....

gallery_12157_15_8491.jpg

realANHtroophero1.jpg

Here's another angle of the yellowed Hero helmet from the video link above:

Yellowed%20Helmet%20Left_zpswrfwxlsp.png

Now you can call me crazy, but is it possible that this is Luke's helmet???? Looking at the left side of the helmet above, we can see that there are 13 tube stripes and 8 stripes in the tear--just like Luke's. We can also see that the second stripe in the left tear is wider at the bottom. Furthermore, the spacing follows the same pattern in the both the tube stripes and in the tear. Unfortunately I can't find any pics of the yellow helmet from the right side to count the tube stripes and compare it to Luke's....

Compare%20Luke%20to%20Yellow_zpsy7a8c6ot

To top it off, the vocoder is painted virtually identically, as well.

Luke%20Helmet_zpsr9ahuwrm.jpg
FWkR6N9l.jpg

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Thanks Paul! I only wish I had a few clearer photos. Anyone buy that new French sci-fi book yet? Is this helmet in it? 
http://www.sciencefictionarchives.com/fr/actualites/18/livre-generations-science-fiction

With that said, they also have some other REALLY cool props in the collection:

http://www.sciencefictionarchives.com/fr/collections/franchises/10/star-wars

The grey looks very light. It could be #40 Pale Grey. And look at the tube stripes - definitely not #14 although I have never used that blue on my own armour. I have some #221 coming for the blue on my new suit that I will be making soon.

I wonder how much could be from fading and how much is actually different colours used? A lot of it would depend on how this item was stored. The ABS has certainly yellowed more than the the one in the Lucasfilm archives. I did see someone on the boards recently who used a different colour blue for the tube stripes and they got the 'secret' formulation from eFX off their hero, I think? It looked great, in any case.

I did see someone on the boards recently who used a different colour blue for the tube stripes and they got the 'secret' formulation from eFX off their hero, I think? It looked great, in any case.

I read that too but do you honestly think the prop department in 1976 went to so much trouble as to mix paints? I highly doubt that. The tubes stripes have always looked to have a matt or satin finish to me and I have used several colours in the past.

• Like 1

I concur that they wouldn't have formulated a special colour and Humbrol paints were undoubtedly used a lot by them back then. Have you ever tried Humbrol 96 on any of your builds Paul? It looks pretty close to this colour (from these screenshots anyway).

I know it's not in any way conclusive since we have zero control on the lighting from the screenshots, but I did this anyway to compare possible Humbrol colours to "Luke's" yellowed hero bucket. I think #96 is pretty close to the blue in these pics. I like the brightness in #109 too. I agree, #40 looks pretty good here for the grey. Of course we have no way of knowing how much the paint has faded. If it were stored in direct light for the past 40 years or so, it could very well have been close to #14 and #5 originally. Hmmm....

Colour%20Comparison_zpssdd83bnj.jpg

Edited by Nagedzi