Brattie's AP Build and Journey to The 501st

You're going to troop in it yes? Just take the pics at the first troop. The cg will understand and help out even at fan expo. Ask Steph to take them :-)

Because, unless you have a tripod, lights, clean wall, remote control or use the self timer, taking pics by yourself will end up just being annoying. Shins not straight, sniper plate under thigh, boot tops showing...

Thanks for the Tips,

As it stands right now.. I'm unsure about trooping in it. I know I need to make some adjustments and those like with my Jawa will come in time until a point when I can trust the armor.

As for the pictures, I had a friend come and take them.. kind of a mistake on that one as she took a zillion pictures and didn't focus on making the 8 I needed to look amazing. Case in point while using my camera this mysterious dark dot appeared that I now have to investigate inside my camera. Sighs..

I have not heard about approval for Basic as of yet.. I'm not concerned with it. I had hoped to Troop in it and take part in the TK March at Fan Expo, but at this point I believe that to be a pipe dream.

Others are trying to coax me into taking it with me, but all the negativity over the timing of the build, and parts of the build, and from a few others that seem to like offering non-constructive criticism... it all has put a real downer on the finale of this part of the build.

I have truly enjoyed the journey and had hoped to end up super excited with my gear. For now it just seems surrounded in a cloud of gloom which is really annoying.

During the photo shoot yesterday a piece came loose and I was lucky to have the parts there to fix it. This caused the one drop box to sit funny.

Even my friend taking the pictures did all the pictures, then when I was getting out of the gear brought up about the Dot showing up in the photos and that my lower left leg was crooked.. LIKE WTF! Why didn't you say something WHEN we were taking pictures!

Super frustrated with too many things right now. I think I'll take a step back from the TK even if it is approved and work on my Jawa which is very comfortable to wear other than it's very hot. I have projects for the Jawa like an R3-PO head (waits for comments on me doing that.. I expect it now people so please go right ahead) which I'd like to have done for FE.. but not going to rush it. Oh I know.. it's another tall Jawa....

All that said, I am pleased with all the support and help my friends have given me with both... those that I am close to anyway and many here as well.

This thread won't be closing as the Build process is never totally complete.

Before I hear it from someone again.. NO I am not starting a new thread.. this is my build thread.. it shall stay my build thread unless an Admin requires me to change it. I doubt they will because at least this way it all stays in one place. So if you aren't an admin.. keep it to yourself.

I have 16 days to sort it all out.. we'll see what happens. For now and for this deadline.. I have faith in my Jawa gear.. it works, it's comfy, and it looks good.. but I'm sure others will tell me different on that as well.

For now.. I'm out.

https://youtu.be/ijZRCIrTgQc

Edited by Brattie

Is it in one spot , tumbleweed shaped, and black or a dark grey? Rear element on lens or sensor. All it can be. Anything further out will wrap light around it and be a soft focus spot but not an actual dark spot.

• Like 1

Anyways what adjustments do you feel the need to make and will they affect wearing it safely, or basic approval in general?

Twisted limbs don't matter. As long as the costume fits you and is accurate as far as the crl goes then it's approved. Your gml is an awesome costumer and a stickler for detail but let's face it:

All this is is a pile of irregularly shaped plastic. Underwear. Boots and gloves. Don't assign it life, or give it's existence deific power. It's just a plastic spaceman. There are troops before fanexpo. Take it out as is, let some troopers look at it on you and tell you if and what needs adjustment, and just enjoy the hell out of it.

• Like 1

I won't be taking it out on Troops... it took me 3 weeks of tweaking to feel comfortable enough with my Jawa before I trooped. I will be taking the same cautious steps with my TK gear.. I refuse to rush it before Fan Expo just to make it there.. most of the items I'm working are Jawa related anyway.

As for the adjustments -

1. fix the upper elastic on the shoulder .. not sure if it broke or shifted or something.. I have to investigate that.
  2. Padding in the leg by the sniper plate which will help with twist...
  3. Padding in the left thigh to help make it more aligned and keep it shifting around
  4. Suspenders to help keep the strapping system in a specific place and add comfort so it's not all pulling in one spot (recommended by 2 wise people that helped me with the gear)
  5. Sort out the breast plate.. I have boobs so I would like to adjust it a bit
  6. Bucket wire adjustments
  7. bicep hooks (Haven't made em yet but need to .. mentioned by 2 wise men (friends) To help keep them from shifting
  8. Swap out the shoulder clips to something that is more comfy and has some play.. (recommended by friends) which will help me in numerous ways.

And that's just the start.

• Like 1

Yes.. there were 2 snaps and I had accidentally put it on the lower ones when they should have been on the upper ones. As I didn't have someone that knew watching for the pictures it was missed that I had done that.

• Like 1

Hey Angie, your kit is fitting you really well. You should be proud! And with the small tweaks that you've already discovered, you should be troop-ready in no time, with a TK number to boot.

I recommend that you forget the negative/low points, and focus on the positive .... Did this TK process take longer than expected, sure, but it does for most of us (took me almost a year to acquire & build my TK (and I'm still tweaking)).Did you build the most 'real' catalogue/thread of the journey of becoming a Stormtrooper, yes!

I know many have read your thread, and have (and will continue to) enjoy it’s content. Again, you should be proud. And then, there's your Jawa. Again, top notch.

Take some time fine tuning you TK and you'll feel comfortable and confident in it quickly.

PS. Don't forget to build yourself a Chookaboom emergency repair kit!

I'm sure command is aware of your build & submission, and I would hope that they might be able to approve you (at our Garrison Level) prior to FanExpo. It might be pushing it, but you never know!

We'd be proud to troop side by side with you in your shiny new kit. Regardless, TK or not, we are to be proud to troop with you in your kick-a$$ Jawa, causing all kinds of Jawa mischief.

Keep your head up, get your kits ready, and troop in whatever is approved and feels most comfortable for you.

Again, Great Job! We'll see you soon in the T.Dot. 16 Days to Go! 

• Like 3

I won't be taking it out on Troops... it took me 3 weeks of tweaking to feel comfortable enough with my Jawa before I trooped. I will be taking the same cautious steps with my TK gear.. I refuse to rush it before Fan Expo just to make it there.. most of the items I'm working are Jawa related anyway.

As for the adjustments -

1. fix the upper elastic on the shoulder .. not sure if it broke or shifted or something.. I have to investigate that.
  2. Padding in the leg by the sniper plate which will help with twist...
  3. Padding in the left thigh to help make it more aligned and keep it shifting around
  4. Suspenders to help keep the strapping system in a specific place and add comfort so it's not all pulling in one spot (recommended by 2 wise people that helped me with the gear)
  5. Sort out the breast plate.. I have boobs so I would like to adjust it a bit
  6. Bucket wire adjustments
  7. bicep hooks (Haven't made em yet but need to .. mentioned by 2 wise men (friends) To help keep them from shifting
  8. Swap out the shoulder clips to something that is more comfy and has some play.. (recommended by friends) which will help me in numerous ways.

And that's just the start.

1.  upper elastic?  pics.

2.  padding at front of calves, rear of thighs.  easy.  use dollar store knee pads and exercise matts.  i taped mine in with gaffers tape and hasn't fallen out in over 220+ troops.

4.  suspenders hold up midsection.  i'm baffled how people wear it properly without it.  the cod should be up and toit like a tiger.

5. no clue.  some people still put an elastic from front to back at the sides to keep the chest in tight. works well. .

7. never used them.  just make the bicept elastic long enough and pulled tight enough not to sag and glue it down at the BASE of the shoulder bell on both sides not looped around fron the middle ridge section.

8.  the what now?

• Like 1

I recommend that you forget the negative/low points, and focus on the positive .... Did this TK process take longer than expected, sure, but it does for most of us (took me almost a year to acquire & build my TK (and I'm still tweaking)).Did you build the most 'real' catalogue/thread of the journey of becoming a Stormtrooper, yes!

I know many have read your thread, and have (and will continue to) enjoy it’s content. Again, you should be proud. And then, there's your Jawa. Again, top notch.

Take some time fine tuning you TK and you'll feel comfortable and confident in it quickly.

PS. Don't forget to build yourself a Chookaboom emergency repair kit!

Hi Brad!

Thank you for your kind comments. I almost forgot about the repair kit.. this will be something I put together as I sort out my TK armor. Now that it's built I need to start making a list of things that I find that could potentially fail and then start to sort out a repair kit for on the fly things for those items. As I believe that each kit has it's own life I think it's very important to customize your kit with both the essentials as mentioned in the repair kit but also things specific to your suit that could fail. For me that will include my Rivet gun and rivets! Laugh

Thank you for the reminder.

I am surprised to be honest at how many have read this thread. I'm not an expert at this, I'm not great at the whole build.. but I did try to document the roller coaster I went through with the build process. As I had great people helping me all the way through the build I would not say that this is the best place for people to learn about the build itself, but perhaps the emotional side, frustrations, research, and such.

I have seen people selling unfinished gear lately due to not feeling they'd have the ability to get it done. I have been there, but there are so many good people around to help out. I was fortunate enough to have 2 great people help me with both my builds. I encourage people thinking of giving up in their builds to seek out help from your Garrison. Perhaps even have them get the base of the build completed for you, or even have you help them do it.

My biggest challenge with everything I do is that I live in a small room. That is all I have for space. It was one of my biggest concerns with the build. I didn't have the room to do what needed to be done.  If it had not been for a very generous offer of a garrison mate to step up and offer his hand I would never have managed to get my build moving forward again. I just do not have the space.

"Never give up, Never surrender" Yeah it's not a star wars quote but trust me.. it works.

1.  upper elastic?  pics.

2.  padding at front of calves, rear of thighs.  easy.  use dollar store knee pads and exercise matts.  i taped mine in with gaffers tape and hasn't fallen out in over 220+ troops.

4.  suspenders hold up midsection.  i'm baffled how people wear it properly without it.  the cod should be up and toit like a tiger.

5. no clue.  some people still put an elastic from front to back at the sides to keep the chest in tight. works well. .

7. never used them.  just make the bicept elastic long enough and pulled tight enough not to sag and glue it down at the BASE of the shoulder bell on both sides not looped around fron the middle ridge section.

8.  the what now?

Mark,

Thank you for all your constructive tips. They are appreciated. As with all of the tips and help offered over the past 54 pages!!!

Answers:

1. the elastic band that holds down the shoulder piece at the back.
  2. I plan on velcro'ing AC foam (which  you can get cheap and it's really comfy!!) into different parts of my gear to help with movement. With the Velcro at least I can adjust as needed or even adjust on the fly.
  3. .--
  4. I have a wicked strapping system in my gear. It was created and designed by two people that have my comfort and all in mind. Due to my odd body shape and the fact that I'm a woman trying to wear gear that wasn't truly designed for female curves.. this system is going to be great. I have a garter system for the thighs and suspenders to help spread out that load while keeping everything snug. Keep in mind that tight for me in the Cod would be weird as I lack the bits most storm troopers have that fills that void.
  5. I have considered the elastic on the chest plate however having breasts has it's challenges. In the pictures I was wearing an athletic bra to keep the girls in close.
  6. --
  7.  The hooks are recommended by others and I'll eventually add them. Not a priority right now.
  8. "the what now?" I have two types of straps for the shoulder bells. I have the snug OMG I can barely move my arm straps needed for approval pictures and when moving up towards Centurion to manage the upper arm gap.  I also have some more elastic a small amount larger straps that would be easier to troop in and ensure some comfort and range of movement but maintain the look. I will switch these in and out as needed.

As mentioned much of what I'm saying I need to work on is not a Priority for me as I've pretty much decided that Fan Expo is not the best place to debuts a new set of armor.

Instead my time and troops between now and FE will be focused on ensuring my Jawa is in the best condition it can be. I have projects with it that I want to complete in time for FE. Although I am not sure I can get the R3P0 head done in time I will give it a good try.

This Saturday I'm pulling off a Double Jawa Troop which should be interesting as that is a LOT of sweat! Laughs. I figure I can attach my under armor shirt to the outside of the car on the hour drive between locations to try and dry it out! No funds for a second set yet.

Edited by Brattie

I also noticed in most of the shots I could find of R3P0 that the antenna thingy wasn't on him... so probably damanged or such.. .. took it off to figure it out more.

08d2bb6dfc946cc754053030d7c892c5.jpg

So I went for a walk in the park to test out some modifications and as you can see.. had a malfunction of a drop box.. but no worries.. that'll be fixed toot sweet.. all in all pretty good 45 minute walk with only a few areas that need adjusting / trimming that tend to bite..

Areas for Adjustment:

1. Left lower thigh behind ammo belt - outside edge trim
  2. found an issue with TK boot black loop that folded over creating a bump that rubbed on back of right thigh.. need to watch how those are sitting prior to putting on calf armor.
  3. Centurion Level shoulder bell straps are great at popping off when moving arms for any extended time. Small adjustment needed.
  4. Friends as handlers have no clue to help fix items or ensure things are as they should be.. they are too busy not paying attention
  5. Fix attachments for drop boxes.. Rivets and washers aren't holding when under stress.
  6. Adjust thighs - lifting by 2 cm on harness system with adjustments to shoulder harness and belt system.

All in all it was a productive Test run considering the length I was out in the sun. The Fan system and such kept me cool and comfortable.

I have to say the TK is cooler than wearing the Jawa costume! You can actually feel WIND!  At first I was like.. wait.. what the hell is that cool feeling.. then it was like.. OMG! I can feel wind!.. AIR.. I have AIR!!! was a pleasant surprise.

Lastly, As Fan Expo is coming closer I thought I'd ask my GML a couple questions but I truly didn't wish to bother him. Command is doing TONS of stuff for FE.. anyway.. long story short...

Well.. I can tell you that TK70926 has Basic Approval.  Now for the next steps!

Also.. I just completed a 3 Troop Weekend in my Jawa however I received some tips for TK armor...

Thanks for the padding tip -> Dan Sloman

Thanks as always for all your help --> Chilly and Torok

Big shout out to Jaki my Jawa from another Jawa mudder!

Big shout out to Angie - Imperial Officer with shiny bobbles for the Jawa to play with.. Chuckles!

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 1

Glad I could help some. Not everything requires Velcro as some items just aren't moved around a lot too, but that's up to you. <br><br>

Jawa looks awesome, but I think the TK is cooler on the body at least lol. Glad you got out and about in the armour, and was great to meet you. My wife says, "Hello!" Too lol

• Like 3

Glad I could help some. Not everything requires Velcro as some items just aren't moved around a lot too, but that's up to you. <br><br>

Jawa looks awesome, but I think the TK is cooler on the body at least lol. Glad you got out and about in the armour, and was great to meet you. My wife says, "Hello!" Too lol

Great to meet you and your wife finally at the troop this weekend /wave  :duim:

Edited by TD42115
  • Like 2

lol Chris... I had to read your signature twice.. for a second I thought it was parenting advice.. You either Swat or you not.. ~ chuckles ~ Need my Tea!

• Like 1