Brattie's AP Build and Journey to The 501st

Thank you everyone for your congrats n stuff. I'm so excited. I just have to now finish off some contractual work that keeps me busy lately so that I can get out and troop and meet more of you.

I'm hoping to troop in July for sure.. but will wait to see what's requested as far as Jawa's are concerned. I have one engagement already on the 9th, and one weekend trip planned to head north.. but that leaves 2 weekends open for July :) Fingers crossed I can sort something for then!

It's so nice to have my ID Number that I wanted.. I don't feel stressed as much about my TK build or getting things done.

As far as builds go.. I put a coat of paint on the plastic Blaster I received with the folding stock but have loads more work to do on that. As it came partially assembled I'm finding some of it a challenge to mask off and ensure the parts I want are getting paint only. I thought about opening it up again but I just don't have it in me to risk not being able to get it all back together. Laugh.

So this build thread will continue forward as planned.. :)

• Like 2

Thanks Matthew!

Thanks Dan!!

I'm hoping to make FE with my TK! Fingers crossed.. so.. I have a little update.. play the Dun dun Daaaa Sound effects now!

Monday June 20th 2016.. Storm watch!

Severe storms were called for our area and it required lowering some of the tent covers we have for the hot tub etc in the back yard. Due to the Landlord having an elderly mother that visits we built a wooden ramp down from the deck, add in other facts like me being 5'11 and well.. recipe for disaster?

I was walking and then bent to duck down, however there is a patio set up to the right and I caught it with my foot.. this sent me flying.. as I tried to avoid the tent.. so legs, arms, body.. in air.. left leg trying to get to ground but Gravity taking it's hold way too soon!..

Enter Judo break-fall education here!

However.. left leg going sideways and as it was being pulled in.. well.. the corner of the ramp decided it wanted to give my knee cap and kiss.. but not a gentle passionate love making kiss.. oh no.. like a French kiss by a sadistic son of a nerf herder!!!

Enter minutes of rolling around on ground in pain before shock sets in.. and then years of first aid training and kinesiology classes.

I then figured I could walk.. maybe a bad sprain.. bruising for sure.. swelling already.. need ice.. get ice.. blah blah blah.. I should be a Mandalorian.. I fly well but need to work on the landings!

So I worked Tuesday.. and it was sore.. blah blah blah.. but didn't seem to be getting better like strains and bruises do over time.. I knew it would be a few days but thought.. hey.. better get it checked.. so I did.. all day Wednesday in and out of the Doctors, x-rays, ultrasounds and blah blah blah..

GUESS WHAT!! I fractured my Patella!! Now.. lucky for me.. it's a hairline.. and under a certain length so no cast!! WHOHOOO!

I also pulled and sprained my knee. Laugh.

So I'm laid up for a few days to a week.. but I made it into work today.. (Thursday) even though it took a while. Need to be better for a friends birthday party!

And these are the days of my life.. Laugh..

now if I could only do this --> :dancing-trooper:  To celebrate that I avoided ruining my summer by 1 mm.. that's it.. 1mm longer and I'd be in a cast from my ankle to my hip!

i took my bucket apart today and redid the posts, cleaned the lens and made a few adjustments. <br><br>

Also had some communication with Mark of AP about the time line.

• Like 1

They are working on it, due to space I don't have the ability to do all the trimming and such. Anyway, Mark and his builder have been communicating with me and keeping me up to date. I have expressed my feelings on ensuring I can complete the Build in time for fan expo.

• Like 1

Good Morning SW Fans and welcome to another installment of Brattie's Build...

So over the weekend while resting my knee guess what!!!??? I ripped apart my bucket and redid some of the inside.

Yes that's right.. so I ripped out the posts and redid the posts. I picked up some new ones and placed them better as well as smoothed out the putty holding them in place to help with air flow. I also installed the mic from my Aker system and used some nice metallic paint to give it a more "real" feel.

On the plastic blaster front.. I painted it black.. that's about it.

I received word that the fan system I requested is nearing completion so I am looking forward to that.

I have also been told that I should see my BBB before July 28th.. now I am not holding my breath but it would be awesome. I have a feeling with this being a long weekend that I'll most likely see it next week or the week after and maybe even the week after.

As long as I have plenty of time to work on it before Fan Expo.. I'm happy. I know that will make my Garrison happy as well as I am sure they want as many troopers at Fan Expo as possible especially for the march.

On a side note I have to send out a HUGE CONGRATS to my Buddy Torok whom was just approved with his Sandtrooper!!! Good Job and welcome aboard!!!

That's all for now..

Brattie out.

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 4

Dear newbie..

I am sure by this point you have come to accept that the main thing you will be doing during this whole process is .. waiting..  waiting and trying to find things to occupy your time... so if you have reached this point in my amazing build thread.. you will come to understand this...

so far I have build my bucket, added the lens, added plasti-Dip, fixed in the mic, played with the padding.. and weathered a blaster as well as painted another one.. all in 45 pages of gut busting laughter and fun as I chatted with the many characters of this wonderful place...

So troop on Newbie.. keep moving forward and keep on figuring out what to do with your time as you wait.. :P

• Like 2

The great thing about this wait Angie is that once that armor finally does show, you're not going to have to go to the references and threads as often which will help speed up your build (once you've recover)

• Like 1

Yeah Ange.. You get to skip all of the anguish you outlined for newbies lol. If they want to understand the pain and suffering of an untrimmed build that took 6 months for no good reason, send them my way, I'll set them straight. I have a treasure trove of "DO NOT DO'S".

• Like 3

Hahahah Dave.. will do for sure! At least I'm not worried about getting the 501st number I wanted.. I already have it! Laughs.. DZ 70926 reporting for mischief and Mayhem!

Chuckles..

• Like 3

Alrighty.. this may seem stupid.. Laughs.. but here it goes..

So.. I'm 501st now.. I worked so hard to get into the group, to be part of this huge family, to go out and have fun.. but now...

here I sit.. yes I've been busy with other promised commitments.. but I am looking at the events coming up in the weeks ahead with... hesitation?

I just don't get it... I have been looking forward to that moment when I could venture out with the guys and have fun.. and yet.. I sit here nervous, unsure, and having doubts?

I never expected to feel this way.. yes I had hoped to have my TK done first.. but as usual life just doesn't work that way. I love my Jawa.. it's so much fun.. but now I represent something bigger.. what if I screw up? What if I scare the heck out of all the kids?

For a person that's normally fairly confident in things I do.. this has thrown me for a loop.. these are not feelings I've faced that often..

Anyway, hopefully I can sort myself out and go to one of the venue's I've visited a few times.. but I'll have to wait to see which characters are requested for it.. I think a small event is the best choice for the first troop...

I just can't figure out why I feel so nervous and unsure about it..

~ puzzled ~ :huh:

https://youtu.be/2xB4dbdNSXY

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 2

Listening to GNR today.. had a bit of fun with November Rain lyrics...

When I look at you in my scope
I can feel the force restrained
And Rebels when you shoot at me
Don't you know I feel the same

Nothing lasts forever
And we both know wars can change
And it's hard to hold a blaster steady,
In a cold Endor rain

We've been through this such a long long time
Just trying to kill the pain, ooh yeah
But war is always coming and war is always going
And no one's really sure who's letting go today
maybe you should surrender anyway…

If we could take the time
To lay it on the line
I could rest my head
Just knowing this rebellion was done
All done

So if you want to shoot at me
Then Rebel don't refrain
Or I'll just end up hunting you,
In the cold Endor rain

Do you need some time on your own
Do you need some time all alone
Everybody needs some time
On their own
Don't you know you need some time all alone

I know it's hard to keep an open mind
When Storm troopers are shooting at you,
But if you want you could surrender
Wouldn't that be just the same

Sometimes I need some time on my Own
Sometimes I need some time all alone
Everybody needs some time
On their own
Don't you know you need some time all alone

And when your fears subside
And shadows troopers still remain, oh yeah
You know that you can rest now
When there's no one left to blame

So never mind the light side
The Dark Side will find a way
'Cause nothing lasts forever
Even cold Endor rain

Don't ya think that you should surrender?
Don't ya think that you should surrender?
Every Rebel needs to surrender
you’re not the only one
you’re not the only one

• Like 4

Alrighty.. this little ditty is from Under the Boardwalk.. chuckles TK Styles!

Oh when the sun beats down and makes you sweat during a troop,
And your TK boots are so hot and your audio system fails to loop.
Under TK armor, down by the street, yeah
On a troop with the Canadian Garrison is where we’ll meet

(Under TK armor) out in the sun
(Under TK armor) we'll be having some fun
(Under TK armor) people walking on by
(Under TK armor) they’ll give TK selfies a try
Under TK armor, TK Armor!

From the movie theaters you hear the happy sound of the Star Wars Theme
Mm-mm, and through green lenses all the people’s smiles are scene
Under TK armor, down by the street

Ooh, TK armor, down by the street, yeah

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 3

I wouldn't worry too much about the first troop... Get out there, meet people, and try to get into the character you're portraying... You've already done two out of three, without the costume, so in costume shouldn't be too difficult. Above all, have fun doing it!

• Like 2

I absolutely understand the trepidation towards your first troop, it's pretty nerve racking.<br>

Meeting a bunch of experienced troopers who all seem to know each other can be hard, especially as I live a couple of hours away from where most of the troops happen here. I was lucky that my first troop was a smallish local one where I already had met half the troopers.<br>

The next day I did a big one in the city (Special Kids Xmas party) where I hadn't previously met anybody.. I met the friendliest bunch of people you could ever want to meet, they were all willing to help and wanted to talk about my kit etc. Pretty much all of my fears were unfounded.<br>

Since then, it's onwards and upwards, and I feel less like a noob with every troop.<br>

It can be hard to take the plunge, but will be worth it!

• Like 3

Thanks Scott, Thanks Dan, Thanks all...

I just enjoyed time away with family up in the north relaxing by the water. This weekend coming up I'm helping a friend at their kids B-day party..

Hopefully I won't have a story to add to the thread about parties.. but it's for a good cause. :)

Happy Belated Canada Day to all the Canadians out there!!

Journey Entry 99.9omgthiskeepsgoingandgoing.

I haven't made it out to an "Official" troop yet due to uneasy and unsure feelings...

Dan you are so right.. I've been out a bit with the group, I shouldn't feel this way.. but I don't know what the hell has happened.. I went from super excited to unsure and uneasy..

For some stupid reason I have let comments like "Another Tall Jawa" replay in the back of my head over and over...

I have an older brother I should be use to people commenting~laugh~

Anyone with an older sibling knows the struggles with that! ~Laugh~

However, I have been unable to let all of the comments roll off my shoulder. As an Example.. there were comments at the Relay for life non-501st event before I was an approved member there was a person that commented about it "that's a big Jawa"

The joy I had in being this fun character is disappearing and I had truly hoped it could be a fun outlet to the military character of a TK.

You strive so hard to meet all the requirements to be Movie accurate. Now the costume is good enough.. but is the person under it.. ??

I find myself stupidly second guessing all of my feelings on it. I'm tall.. I get that.. yes the "stereotypical" Jawa is short.. I just don't know what to do to combat these feelings and being unsure if I'm going to be walking into problems at my first troop.  It's not that I'm overly sensitive, I just know I will be nervous with it being my first troop.

Just not sure what to do on this one... I've reached out to some of my friends on Krayt for advice.

I just wish these uneasy feelings would go away.

I have tried to turn my focus back into my TK.. but there isn't much I can do on it right now...

I am hopeful that this little private party this weekend will help settle some of these feelings. There will be a couple from the Garrison there so maybe that's all I need to give me that boost of confidence to step up my game and get back at it.

Fingers crossed...

It's funny.. I know there will always be comments made.. all the struggles we all have faced trying to explain to family and friends why we do this.. facing the ridicule of others over putting money into something like this.. I was prepared for that. I faced that.

So why have I let this get to me!? GAH!

it's so frustrating! - deep breath - Lets just hope things go well this weekend.. lets hope I don't scare the crap out of the kids, and I manage to have some fun with the guys..

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 2

There are always going to be comments, like another tall Jawa, even for us TKs ... Even clean TKs hear, these aren't the droids you're looking for line way too often. Or the, aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper? <br><br>

Don't let it discourage you. At a Troop, you won't get as much ridicule (if any) as you would by yourself, as there will be other costumes to match your own. You'll be part of a theme, and fit right in. Trooping on your own, at a non event is a bit tougher than trooping at an event. Don't let it get you down, and have fun. Don't let one bad apple spoil your time out there. For every one rotten person, there are multitudes of others who enjoy and have a good comment.

• Like 4