Brattie's AP Build and Journey to The 501st

You don't have to be Scottish to enjoy Scottish culture och, you just need to be able to tolerate a lot of eating,drinking, cursin, singing and dancing with the potential of occasional moon before nighttime eh jimmy!

This classic I grew up with and always ends up sung at least once an evening - Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/MZ35SOU9HTM

• Like 3

BUILD UPDATE

Retrieving the Build thread from yet another fun excursion off topic. Laugh.. I don't mind really its fun to chat and get to know all of you. :)

Hearing Assist systems:

I need to know what everyone thinks about these and if there are good vendors in CANADA that have speaker / and bud options with 9V battery options?

ECHO Fan Systems:

I am truly interested in the Echo Fan system and the bracket however I don't seem to be getting anywhere. I left messages and such for a while now and haven't heard anything. It is too bad there isn't a Canadian Vendor that sells a similar set up as I truly like the look and set up of Echo's.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Please note:

1. I am horrible with electronics so don't say I can build one myself! I'm not horrible at soldering but electronics aren't my specialty.
  2. I need to know how much it will cost to send Echo fans to Ontario. With the exchange rate so crappy it's blah!

Thank you again everyone for your input on these items :)

Lastly... I LOVE THIS SONG!

SECOND FAV SONG!!

Funny Song

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 2

Hey Dave.. I'm not scottish! I just like the culture.. don't think you have to be part of the scots to enjoy others culture right?

You're very right. I am notorious for this, I am obsessed with Russian/Soviet history, much to my parents and grandparents, chagrin... I am not Russian lol 

• Like 1

Hearing Assist systems:

Alright peeps, I just need to know what everyone thinks about these and if there are good vendors in CANADA that have speaker / and bud options with 9V battery options?

ECHO Fan Systems:

I am truly interested in the Echo Fan system and the bracket however I don't seem to be getting anywhere. I left messages and such for a while now and haven't heard anything. It is too bad there isn't a Canadian Vendor that sells a similar set up as I truly like the look and set up of Echo's.

Please note:

• I am horrible with electronics so don't say I can build one myself! I'm not horrible at soldering but electronics aren't my specialty.
  • I need to know how much it will cost to send Echo fans to Ontario. With the exchange rate so crappy it's blah!

SECOND FAV SONG!!

Don't know about Echo's fan system, but the hearing assist is sold from a person in the Canadian Garrison... Think he charges in USD though... Was considering this, until I saw the price in USD.
  • Like 1

Hearing Assist systems:

Alright peeps, I just need to know what everyone thinks about these and if there are good vendors in CANADA that have speaker / and bud options with 9V battery options?

ECHO Fan Systems:

Please note:

• I am horrible with electronics so don't say I can build one myself! I'm not horrible at soldering but electronics aren't my specialty.
  • I need to know how much it will cost to send Echo fans to Ontario. With the exchange rate so crappy it's blah!

SECOND FAV SONG!!

"The Rogues" - Scotland the brave

Their new rendition is awesome - check it on the tunes for those who love the brave

• Like 1

ooo.. Thanks guys...

@Dave - It's okay.. I think Red is my favorite Character in Season 2 Orange is the new black - laugh

@Dan - oh.. well maybe if I wait until I'm a 501st member I'll get a members discount? Laugh.. US prices are suckie!

@A-A ron - Aye, I have heard that version as well. I mostly like listening to the accent.

Mingulary boat song

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 2

Shawn is a Canadian Garrison member who makes and sells environmental audio kits.He was the first I know to offer a completed and functioning kit and has been doing so for  over two years. Others have come in to sell virtually identical setups, but I prefer to help a local member when possible. The bucket you see in his first post is mine. I also have his kit in my Tusken Raider, Tie Pilot and soon in my TFA TK. 

IF you want to deal in Canadian Dollars, bulk or group rates, try reaching out to him via PM to discuss. Tell him that jerk Clamps sent ya.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/25695-environmental-audio-system-hear-outside-your-helmet/page-1

• Like 5

Thanks Clamps!!! I'll def give him a shout!!! No offence to others selling But i would prefer to support my future Garrison members before others! :)

Did you go with regular speakers or Slim-Line?

And which mics did you get for yours?

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 1

Shawn is a Canadian Garrison member who makes and sells environmental audio kits.He was the first I know to offer a completed and functioning kit and has been doing so for  over two years. Others have come in to sell virtually identical setups, but I prefer to help a local member when possible. The bucket you see in his first post is mine. I also have his kit in my Tusken Raider, Tie Pilot and soon in my TFA TK. 

IF you want to deal in Canadian Dollars, bulk or group rates, try reaching out to him via PM to discuss. Tell him that jerk Clamps sent ya.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/25695-environmental-audio-system-hear-outside-your-helmet/page-1

Message sent to him!!! :D

• Like 1

I built mine for way less than echos and it has a battery system that will last days straight and 4 fans. I just haven't built a bracket yet. Honestly, it's super simple to learn. <br><br>

I have to rebuild due to shortage of space in my helmet.

• Like 2

yes yes Eric the magician.. you and your home built system :P !! Laugh.. Listen I start fires when I attempt to cook.. I can only imagine what would happen if I tried that!! Laugh.

I'm not allowed in the kitchen where I live either!! ROFLMAO

• Like 2

I built mine for way less than echos and it has a battery system that will last days straight and 4 fans. I just haven't built a bracket yet. Honestly, it's super simple to learn. <br><br>

I have to rebuild due to shortage of space in my helmet.

where did you get the diagram? I have bunch of computer fans I want to rig up for my helmet

• Like 2

Alright Peoples...

Update on build stuffies!!!

See Page 1 if you want.. but basically I've updated what I have ordered and received so far.

I have also put in an order for an AAS (Audio Assist System)... THANKS CLAMPS!!!

Shawn's Audio Assist System. Mini mics with ear buds. Am going to start researching where I want to place the mics. So far I have heard different things from different people and I value their experience and expertise in the matter. :)

TK Binders

Well as I'm a litlte bit of a perfectionist (detail oriented) and really picky sometimes. Especially about things that I build personally.

So with that in mind... SIGH.. I went ahead and purchased the Dinsey TK Binders.

I feels kinda like a waste with the ones I built as I had numerous difficulties from not being able to get some of the plastic I would need without purchasing a 10 foot pipe at a huge cost.. and then magnet issues only finding some larger ones that just barely fit.. it was just an over all mess...

Trying to stay positive:

I am happy with what I managed to create out of what I was able to get my hands on, but I am not overall pleased with it. It's "okay" that's about it.

Also it was good practice to get using some of the tools and items I'll require for my build so that's good as well.

I have worked with wood for a long time and build tons of things that way so I am finding plastic is a bit of a learning curve for me.

Heck, I've worked with clay, plaster and glass as well.. Glass blowing was loads of fun but OMG hot!! I was an Arts Major. Laugh

Possible Next project

I am thinking about making a Mannequin out of Duct Tape to help during the build.. It looks like a fun project. I will be sourcing out the needed items first to see how costly it could be.

Need

Home Depot:

2 large rolls of duct tape
PVC pipe (I used 3/4" pipe)
1 PVC cross connector
4 PVC "T" junctions
4 PVC 90 degree elbows

Walmart

fiberfill / foam / pillow stuffing

Own
PVC cement
First Aid Scissors with round tips
Old long sleeve top, pants (sweats will do) and socks

ORDERED:

I ordered Lexan scissors and some Split Tubing for Wiring in my bucket. Want to make it all neat and tidy as I go. :)

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 3

You will be very happy with Shawns audio system! Especially with the ear buds. ;) as for mic installation locations, if you can manage to place them behind the ear bumps, and drill a few small holes in one of the ear bumps, that's probably the first place I'd recommend. Next would be the traps, behind the brow trim, and if those two won't work, then I'd say to go for the ends of the frown. To me that seems more problematic, because of the proximity to your own mouth, but many troopers have them there and swear that it works fine. Mine are in the traps. Keep trucking along! You've got some great support there in the Canadian Garrison, that's for sure!

• Like 2

@A-Aron - Thank you. I'm glad some people enjoyed the work on the Binders. I am looking forward to comparing them to the "Factory" made ones.

@ Tim - Clamps suggested I put them in the two "butter" Teeth holes. I have heard about doing the whole ear thing but then that requires putting holes in the plastic which makes me nervous as there will be enough holes going into my bucket as there is. I guess wait and see.

• Like 1

Sometimes when I'm bored I find old songs and have a little fun with them.. like this:

How much is that Droid in the window?
The one with the bent ammo rail
I do hope that Droid's for sale

I must take a trip to Endor
And leave the ship from the blast door
If I have a droid, I won't be lonesome
And the Droid will have a good home

I read in the paper there are Jedi
With light sabers that shine in the dark
I need a Droid to protect me
And scare them away with one spark

I don't want an Ewok or tauntaun
I don't want a Sith Lord that talks
I don't want a large death star
I can't take a death star for a walk

On the Build front.. AAS is ordered.

Was great to see someone finish their build recently. I know it's still a little ways off but that just means I can dig around and order items I want for my kit when it gets here...

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 3

Was great to see someone finish their build recently. I know it's still a little ways off but that just means I can dig around and order items I want for my kit when it gets here...

Waiting patiently still... Mannequin sounds like a bit of an endeavour, but it'll definitely keep you busy. I liked your binders too! Just thought I'd throw that in there.

• Like 2

Thanks Dan.. I was a little disappointed as I wanted the Binders to look so much better. I just could not find magnets that were thin like in the directions for the How to Information. Then the issues with the plastics. The tubing was only sold in massive lengths. So I had to juggle that a bit. All in all it was a load of things thrown together to try to make it work.. I am positive they aren't Canon..  sighs... but they are fun.. Right?

Anyway.. Time to shift and focus on other items.. Hopefully I hear from Echo for his fan system. Shawn's audio Assist system should be on the way soon.. not sure what else to gather.

I might do the duct tape thing.. I haven't decided. Space is a bit of an issue. Laugh.