Brattie's AP Build and Journey to The 501st

BUILD UPDATE

You have to have someone in the US in order to get Hyperfirm and such. I don't know, we'll see. I think I'll cross that bridge when I get my armor and all settled first.

I do have an update!!! :dancing-trooper:

My tote is almost complete.. the tape came off yesterday!!!

Tote1%20almost_zpswhixci4s.jpg

Now I am thinking of weathering it a little in some areas like my blaster as well.. what do you guys think?

After that I am going to Mod Podge the whole thing to help seal the paint.

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 1

Personally, I don't think it requires weathering. Looks awesome the way it is!

I agree. If you're going to be a shiny, I tend to think that an armor transport like this would have been stored on the Death Star and everything there always looked so sanitary. I have the same bin and did not weather. post-19016-145424331362_thumb.jpg

Open the Blast Door!

• Like 2

BUILD UPDATE

So.. I'm working on the binders again as I'm running out of things to keep me busy. All the little pieces are glued on.. I sanded them down a bit.. now I just have to sand a bit more and then paint them. Then I still have to find some Magnets that will work.  Seems like what I thought would be an easy task is turning out to be more difficult.

Then I just have to cut the foam for the inside and all done.. they are a little different from the FISD thread I was using for reference. Not sure how good they'll look, but for a first try I thought they were not too bad. I had to adjust some of the things for them due to complications with the plastic. The type recommended in the thread calls for pipe that is only available here in 10 Foot lengths and is super expensive. So I had to adjust what type of pipe I had to use to be as close as possible.

All in all it seems as if our neighbors to the south have it easy with most of the items being available in the US Stores (like the bar magnets) and here in the North.. well things are a little more difficult to locate. 

It is truly testing my patience with how annoying it is to be struggling with such a simple build. Patience I know I will need when the armor arrives. Chuckles.

Well, fingers crossed. I have a few more ideas of places to locate magnets etc. So far all of the ones I have found won't connect together no matter how you position them.

Almost thinking I should try to figure out a clasp mechanism.

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 1

My first love is with the original Stormtroopers but I think once I get my armor all set I might start to save money to go towards a Snow-trooper build.

I like the new style.

star-wars-first-order-snowtrooper-hot-to

On another Note:

So sad I wasn't able to make it to Star Wars Night with the Brampton Beast. I was hoping to connect with more of the 501st in my area. I found the Collectors Con a great experience meeting some of the group. Fingers crossed for other chances to get together with them.

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 1

No Worries Angie, there are plenty more troops coming. We ended up having a better than expected turnout in Brampton, with 6 TK's, a Vader, 2 Royal Guards, a Tuskin, an R2, and 2 handlers.

• Like 1

GLUE QUESTION!!!

In numerous videos on the building of your armor I have seen individuals using a glue product that they then spray with something and it sets instantly.. WHAT is that stuff and where can I get it?

GLUE QUESTION!!!

In numerous videos on the building of your armor I have seen individuals using a glue product that they then spray with something and it sets instantly.. WHAT is that stuff and where can I get it?

Zip Kicker - check local Hobby Stores but for your first build I would use E-6000

• Like 1

Thanks Aaron!

So Zip Kicker is the glue too or the stray stuff??? 

And I plan to use E6000 Already have some of it.. but I wanted this Zip stuff for other things as well that I'm working on.

Noted.. I wonder if Hobby Hobby in Streetsville has that.. maybe Michaels art store for crafts? Any idea on where to get it guys?

Check online to save you some wondering and wasted trips - Plane/Boat Hobby shops - I already checked Michaels, Lowes, Home Depot, Princess Auto, Lee Valley and Walmart. Ya I spent a couple weeks checking around my city to see where I could find all my stuff at a reasonable cost lol In between calls of course Edited by Pyrates
  • Like 2

I've used Zap in the Hobby world, and it is awesome stuff, but it's also VERY unforgiving. I'd stick with the E6000. It provides some play-time for lining up pieces, and leaves your fingerprints intact.

• Like 1

Also with E6000 if you mess up your glueing you can put your parts in the freezer in 2 hours the glue becomes hard and brittle and your parts will pop easily apart so on a side note never leave your stuff in a car in 30- degree weather (or whatever celsius scale you crazy Canadians use) overnight or your suit will fall apart 

• Like 1

Thank you all for your GLUE advice! :)

Next Topic...

VELCRO ON YOUR BOOTS - To prevent the twist and help protect from scuffing...

Thoughts?

How do people stick the Velcro to their boots?  that's my first question. You don't want to damage them..

I was a bit scared about sticking anything to my boots to stop my shins riding so I did this instead.<br>

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss103/scott_gray4/IMG_5133_zpshlomhjby.jpg'>http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss103/scott_gray4/IMG_5133_zpshlomhjby.jpg</a><br>

A bit of adhesive felt inside the shin should stop scuffing the boots as well.

Edited by Scotty33
  • Like 1