Brattie's AP Build and Journey to The 501st

Alright, well I have loads of stuff I have already done from my Intro Thread and some of the guys mentioned I should move it all over here and start with my build thread here.. soooo.. here it is..

*** Sorry for any missing photos... lost a lot due to Photobucket being dumb and changing stuff.. ***

I completed TK Binders and will be working on a 3D printed Blaster assembly in the near future.

I received EIB!!

I am now also working on a MSE Droid (Mouse Droid)

To read more about me visit my Massively Huge Intro Thread.. one of the longest around... Laugh

=========================================================================

Updated: 07/28/2016

Became a Member of the 501st on June 16, 2016.

1. Completed and approved Jawa on -> June 16, 2016
  2. Completed and approved TK on -> August 16, 2016

Regularly updated Build Progress:

Orders Received

AP ITEMS: ( :)) ARRIVED!! AUG 2nd 2016 - Let the build begin!

Armor Related:

Other

Already Owned

• Under-armor 2 Piece suit

Future Planned Orders

• Icomm system
  • DLT-19_heavy_blaster_rifle - Purchase or Build

=========================================================================

Other Recommendations on Items

Washroom during Troop - Go before you suit up.

Battery:

ID Holder

Magnets

Glue

• Zap-A-Gap is the glue / Zip kicker is the accelerate helps speed up glue process but not recommended as unforgiving - E6000 is the best option
  • OAKLY Fix-it-Stick is not available at Crappy tire - Advised location plumbing section of Home Depot - Prepping for way to mount lenses.
  • Ensure loads of fresh air moving around you while using glue - very toxic

Recap of Recommendations within this Build thread

Bucket

• Screen door Screening for frown - make it removable to avoid being Kenified and paddled for it
  • Paint - Brush on plastidip at Crappy Tire (caution on over-spray)
  • Fix-it-stic for creating posts for lens mounts - can also be used like bondo
    Dave quote:

" Take your lens (es) mark in the helmet where you need to screw it in, screw in your screws to the nuts (not all the way just to the bottom of the nut) then use your putty and stick it in where you marked the screw marks. and press your screws and nuts into the putty. make sure it's level with the eye indentations from the mold pulls, let dry and remover the screws and screw the lenses in. that's what I did, the lenses are flush (with an air gap for fog) and looks pretty tight. "

Body

• Any Armor bending or re-working should be done with care and NOT A HEAT GUN! Hot - NOT BOILING - water dips work best
  • Test drive armor by walking up and down stairs
  • Mannequin out of Duct Tape  Great idea but must have 2 people
  • Novos Polish - Found at Harley dealers - 1, 2 and 3 good for armor polish.

Boots

• Velcro on boots to help prevent twist
  • Loop on boots used to snap to inside of Calf armor
  • SOLE inserts from Marks work warehouse are the best inserts for TK Boots.

Storage

• Husky Job Aid storage bin is huge and works well - Be aware of trunk size - For Reference -> It fits but fills the back of a Jeep Compass

Blaster

• Quest Designs Blaster recommended through AP is Ontario based.
  • Less is more for Paint and weathering
  • Wires for Blaster Very tricky to drill - not necessary
  • Spring in Bolt section - Coat Hanger not recommended as it's hard to bend. Fence Tie Wire works well - Home Depot.
  • Mod Podge exterior sealant works great for giving handle a glossy look as well as protecting scope decals and giving them a shine
  • Glow in the dark paint makes the Counter numbers look awesome

Comments

• When people type "******Schhchckt******Schhchckt*******Schhchckt" you don't actually have to make the sound while you read but it is fun.

Video Links

My Favorite Video First: 

Other Funny Videos

For a Laugh watch this --> Emperor

Favorite band of all time ---> The Tragically Hip - Miss them!

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 5

Alright.. to catch everyone up on my Build stuff...

My Storage Container - A Husky Mobile Job Aid.. seems to be the favorite among troopers...

The Painting begins:

Storage%201_zpsbgagghac.jpg

Tote1%20Top2_zpsza0qh15z.jpg

Tote1%20Top_zps0wb7rkzd.jpg

Placed on the front.

Tote%20Decal_zpsmflgbi7c.png

And.. Inside...

Storage%202_zpsxvg80vfd.jpg

Tote1%20inside_zpsem3j8yeh.jpg

• Like 2

Now for what I've got or done for armor thus far...

Ninja%20Brattie2_zps0aammmm0.png

I already have under shirt and tights as I help teach Judo and have to wear them under my Judogi so I don't get Gi'burn.

Working on TK Binders

Binders3_zpsmgahbebl.jpg

Struggling to find good solid and strong magnets to help with holding them closed.

and finally...

My Blaster...

Blaster1_zpshk8alcgx.png

yes the end cap isn't on right.. It fits on with some slotted sections and I didn't line it up because I was so excited to get it together and have a look at it! Laugh

Blaster2_zpsuex6ixac.png

I have added some Speed Tape recently to the area above the trigger - Shell exit port? Not sure what it's called.. anyway.. the Speed tape makes it look like metal which is awesome. Have more work to do on it but will show a picture when I get that done.

And now you are caught up on where I am.. oh... well.. I do have a little guy to keep my spirits up while I wait for my armor from Mark.. :dancing-trooper:

DataTK_zpsbp4nrwoo.png

• Like 3

Proof job thus far, and now that you've got a build thread, even better!<br><br>

It's a story, of a man in armour... Sorry Brady bunch moment there... First things first... I took wife and kids to the park one summer, and brought my armour along. I got suited up at the park, as it was a nice day, and why not... Armour, holster, and blaster. Lots of photo ops at that time, after a couple of hours, a cop car showed up, and two officers came up to me for identification. My wife was there, as our kids were playing in the park. Told them about the 501st, and what we do, and who we are... Apparently they got a call, "masked man with a gun".<br><br>

Next, I was picking up kids at the YMCA in the summer, think it was the next one after previous encounter. I lived not too far, so got suited up as before, and walked over. On the way There were photo ops, and as I got near to my destination was pulled over by a cruiser... Same thing, ran through the 501st intro, who we are, what we do... He also got a call, "masked man with a gun".<br><br>

Third and last time... Kids were at school, it was the first nice day we had in a long time, so decided to pick kids up in armour. I left the house at 2:30 and had a bit of wait time as kids got out of school at 3:30... I waited about a block away at a mailbox. There were a few photo ops and at about 3 a cruiser stopped on the opposite block. The officer got out with his hand on his gun, as I started removing my bucket... He told me to remove my "gun" from the holster using two fingers... Then said, never mind he'll do it... He came up and said this isn't even real... We talked about the prop weapon, which trigger doesn't even move, and the 501st and what my intentions were... Eventually CTV showed up, and talked with the officer as well. Apparently the officer as notified for "masked man with a gun" again, and the CTV Cameraman even said, "masked man with a gun, Stormtrooper, huge difference." All in all, officer left, and I got a 2 minute interview in armour that made the news. <br><br>

Fourth time I walked around neighbourhood in armour, I left blaster at home, a few photo ops, and no one called the police lol. If you decide to take a walk in armour, leave your prop weapons at home, there's less hassle, for you and the police. Each time I've gone outside of the house in armour, it's always been fun... Last thanksgiving we had family coming, so an hour before they were expected, I stood at the gate to our condo complex (without blaster), and was thanked by someone leaving, for protecting the complex lol

• Like 4

Proof job thus far, and now that you've got a build thread, even better!<br><br>

It's a story, of a man in armour... Sorry Brady bunch moment there... First things first... I took wife and kids to the park one summer, and brought my armour along. I got suited up at the park, as it was a nice day, and why not... Armour, holster, and blaster. Lots of photo ops at that time, after a couple of hours, a cop car showed up, and two officers came up to me for identification. My wife was there, as our kids were playing in the park. Told them about the 501st, and what we do, and who we are... Apparently they got a call, "masked man with a gun".<br><br>

Next, I was picking up kids at the YMCA in the summer, think it was the next one after previous encounter. I lived not too far, so got suited up as before, and walked over. On the way There were photo ops, and as I got near to my destination was pulled over by a cruiser... Same thing, ran through the 501st intro, who we are, what we do... He also got a call, "masked man with a gun".<br><br>

Third and last time... Kids were at school, it was the first nice day we had in a long time, so decided to pick kids up in armour. I left the house at 2:30 and had a bit of wait time as kids got out of school at 3:30... I waited about a block away at a mailbox. There were a few photo ops and at about 3 a cruiser stopped on the opposite block. The officer got out with his hand on his gun, as I started removing my bucket... He told me to remove my "gun" from the holster using two fingers... Then said, never mind he'll do it... He came up and said this isn't even real... We talked about the prop weapon, which trigger doesn't even move, and the 501st and what my intentions were... Eventually CTV showed up, and talked with the officer as well. Apparently the officer as notified for "masked man with a gun" again, and the CTV Cameraman even said, "masked man with a gun, Stormtrooper, huge difference." All in all, officer left, and I got a 2 minute interview in armour that made the news. <br><br>

Fourth time I walked around neighbourhood in armour, I left blaster at home, a few photo ops, and no one called the police lol. If you decide to take a walk in armour, leave your prop weapons at home, there's less hassle, for you and the police. Each time I've gone outside of the house in armour, it's always been fun... Last thanksgiving we had family coming, so an hour before they were expected, I stood at the gate to our condo complex (without blaster), and was thanked by someone leaving, for protecting the complex lol

Wow - what a sign of the times. Cheers Dan for sharing that! Would have paid to been a fly on the wall to watch the officers reactions lol

• Like 1

Wow - what a sign of the times. Cheers Dan for sharing that! Would have paid to been a fly on the wall to watch the officers reactions lol

Lol it was actually fun, and was educational for the officers to learn about the 501st as well. Just remember, anytime you go around your neighbourhood leave blaster at home, unless it's Halloween. You'll encounter a lot of Star Wars fans, and on Thanksgiving day even stopped a bus from the Grand River Transit, as the driver wanted a picture with me lol (yes there were pass Evers on the bus, and a few got off for photo ops too)

• Like 2

Great work so far, hopefully you will have that armor soon!

Struggling to find good solid and strong magnets to help with holding them closed.

If you just want a few really small ones, I have several spare ones from my miniatures projects. Let me know and I'll see what it would take to ship them to you.

You could try checking at the local hardware/Home Depot/etc for something like this: 1/4" x 1/4" x 7/8" magnets (link to US site, but you get the idea)

A bit large, but would do the trick, I believe.

• Like 3

Liquidation centers sometimes have those magnetic wrist tool holders that are filled with rare earth magnets. Lee Valley has a wide range of magnets as well - cheers!

Oh and Princess Auto if you have one - didn't see one the last time I was in Ontario

Edited by Pyrates
  • Like 2

Yeah I'm going to hit Princess Auto this weekend for sure! Thanks for the reminder and welcome all that haven't migrated from my Massive 8 page long Intro thread... and welcome back to those that have.. thank you for the wonderful stories.. made me laugh so hard!

Good news to report today.. my NECK SEAL has ARRIVED and is carefully put away where Cats can't get it! 

I am truly excited to be joining such an awesome and large family and I really look forward to meeting everyone and having some fun.. Eric and I are already discussing a possible Fergus Scottish festival troop.. but that will depend on when my AP armor arrives.

With that said I'm tossing out another question.. these have made my threads very long but I enjoy the discussions.. chuckles..

BUCKETS... Helmet.. whatever you're calling it.. Foam - Padding - adjustments - etc...  What should you do first? What about adding in snapping chin straps? Just thinking aloud so fire away with ideas and thoughts..

Another source for strong rare earth magnets is Lee Valley. I don't know if you've got one up there, but there is one in Burlington. You'll need these magnets for your binders, and for assemby for use as clamps.

As for the bucket ... it's personal preference. Some use foam for padding, some get helmet padding from a army surplus store or motorcycle shop (or ebay), or some get the hard-hat-liner type. They're probably pro's and con to all of them.

I don't have a chin strap on my bucket so I can't speak to it's value. I think it would be hard to close when the bucket and gloves are on. 2 cents.

• Like 1

Rare earth magnets are sold in Brampton at Magnets OnCore<br><br>

Address:14 Melanie Drive&lt;br&gt;<br><br>

Brampton, ON , &lt;br&gt;<br><br>

L6T 4L3&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;<br><br>

I use a hard hat liner, I like the fact I can remove it from the bucket. It does raise it a little off of your head, but I have no real problems with it. Whatever you feel most comfortable with, is what you should go with. &lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;<br><br>

As to a Fergus Scottish Festival thing... I'd already contacted them, being a kilted trooper myself, they didn't seem to keen on the idea of having a kilted Stormtrooper hanging about.

Edited by TK 2759

<br>

Rare earth magnets are sold in Brampton at Magnets OnCore<br>

Address:14 Melanie Drive<br>

Brampton, ON <br>

L6T 4L3<br>

I use a hard hat liner, I like the fact I can remove it from the bucket. It does raise it a little off of your head, but I have no real problems with it. Whatever you feel most comfortable with, is what you should go with.<br>

As to a Fergus Scottish Festival thing... I'd already contacted them, being a kilted trooper myself, they didn't seem to keen on the idea of having a kilted Stormtrooper hanging about. <br><br>

Edited to get rid of gobbledygook

• Like 1

BUILD UPDATE

Magnets:

Gary - Thank you so much but I need a good strong square magnet that will connect with another magnet in order to close the Binders. Your offer is appreciated. :)

The Home Depot's in the USA have the bar magnets I wanted however the CDN Home Depots do not carry them. It is why I started looking elsewhere. I will keep you in mind though if I can't find another source. I will want these for other items down the road as well so I want to find a good place I can go to over and over again.

Dan, Aaron, Brad - Thanks guys

Thank you everyone for the info on the magnets.

I drove by the Melanie Drive (industrial area) yesterday and didn't see a store. I'll continue to investigate further but am going to try Princess Auto just off Queen this weekend.

Fergus Festival:

Awwww that sucks about the festival.. that would have been fun! Some people have no imagination.. oh well their loss. Will just have to find another place. I would have contacted them as well before going. I think it just shows how professional we are to ensure we are in touch with the event organizer or such before we just appear at places.

Re: Helmet:

I think I'll do some padding. I'd want my bucket to fit well so I can move my head around without bucket wobble. I'd like it to have some snug-ability but I would be moronivous if I didn't leave some venting area or space to allow air flow. (Moronivous: The act of being Moronically Oblivious)

Re: Stories :

I can just imagine the chat back at the station over those stories. Too funny. It is sad that this is the way of things these days. What person in their right mind that is up to something bad or evil would dress up as a Stormtrooper in bright white with reduced vision and commit a crime. Sometimes I just shake my head.

I have heard stories similar to this in the past. I almost wonder if all blasters should have a stripe painted on them or have the end cap a different color so even when Holstered the police would know it was a toy.

Great stories though, would have been funny to watch. Please feel free to share stories guys.. I don't mind them in my build thread. Just adds to the passing of time and such while we all wait for parts.

I'm not too organized am I? Laughs.. Hope I covered all of the posts.. thanks guys :):dancing-trooper:

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 3

BUILD UPDATE

Re: Helmet Padding

I think I'm going to do like Danny.. I like the look and I'm sure that it would fit and feel nice.

Re: Place to hold ID and Cards

I like Brad's idea of the Passport holder under the chest piece. I also like the belt idea but worry about that falling open. Will check Walmart for a similar holder.

This brings me to my next question:

Bucket Paint - Interior not Exterior

I think I'd like the inside of my bucket to be black. I have seen many with it and it looks very good... so to the question..

How do you go about doing this without running into the possible Grey effect caused by black inside a white plastic?

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 1

Hey Angie, just to clarify, my passport holder is in my backplate. Not saying you couldn't put yours there though. I kept my chestplaet for electronics.

As for painting the inside of the bucket ... I say go for it. It makes the innards of the bucket less visible, and will help prying eyes from seeing your face. You're going for a full balaclava inside your bucket so that won't be an issue. But in the chance you find it too hot in the bucket with your clava on, the black interior paint will work for you. There is no grey effect, as the abs is thick enough that there is no transfer or bleed through.

Hey Brad.. 

Thank you so much for that information.. part of the reason I picked wearing a balaclava is because I have long hair.. I figured it would help keep it out of the way.

Glad to hear the Black won't bleed or such.. I heard it was possible for the helm to go a grey color.. I figured perhaps a good white primer inside first and then black..

What kind of paint does everyone use.. have to be sure it adheres to the plastic well.

How do you get to your backplate then if you need something from the holder? Maybe I will make a belt container as well. Laugh.

Alright.. a few more questions. And I'm not joking. People seem to think I'm being funny when I ask these..

WASHROOM needs:

I was advised by a nice guy to

" PEE before your troop, you'll sweat out the rest. IT all comes down to properly and completely hydrating PRIOR to trooping. Pounding down a water right before jumping in will not be enough. MOST troops that last longer than an hour or two will allow for breaks, so I would not worry about that too much."

And I agree, but there is always that one time that you just have to go. 

So should I work my armor to ensure it is easy to use the washroom without removing most of my gear? Or does that cause issues with snaps remaining closed during troops? What do other women do?

Having never worn the armor before I am wondering what others do..

And don't laugh guys.. just because you have it easy doesn't mean you can make fun of us! :blink:

Alright.. a few more questions. And I'm not joking. People seem to think I'm being funny when I ask these..

WASHROOM needs:

I was advised by a nice guy to

" PEE before your troop, you'll sweat out the rest. IT all comes down to properly and completely hydrating PRIOR to trooping. Pounding down a water right before jumping in will not be enough. MOST troops that last longer than an hour or two will allow for breaks, so I would not worry about that too much."

And I agree, but there is always that one time that you just have to go.

So should I work my armor to ensure it is easy to use the washroom without removing most of my gear? Or does that cause issues with snaps remaining closed during troops? What do other women do?

Having never worn the armor before I am wondering what others do..

And don't laugh guys.. just because you have it easy doesn't mean you can make fun of us! :blink:

Lol - no one has it easy when it comes to bathrooms. From what I've read, almost everyone has to "kit-down". I will see if I can find that thread and I will post it here as its a classic TK read that had me busting a gut.

Quick question (Important)

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?/topic/34486-Quick-question-%28Important%29

Edited by Pyrates
  • Like 1

All I can say is, go to washroom before troop, watch fluid intake while trooping, don't dehydrate yourself, but don't over do it either. Go to washroom after troop... <br><br><br>

If it's a cold day, and you're not sweating, you won't need as much water or fluids, as a hot day where your sweating a lot. Just watch your intake, and be wary of the amount of water your body is holding a well, if it's not coming out your pores, it'll need to come out in the toilet.<br><br>

Bucket paint - I liked keeping my bucket clean on the inside. No paint and don't have any issues IMO.

Edited by TK 2759
  • Like 2

BUILD UPDATE

ATTENTION.. ATTENTION.. INCOMING UPDATE ON OP BUILD.. PLEASE DO NOT MOVE ALONG because these boots will do some stompin' cuz that's just what they'll do.. one of these days these boots are gonna walk all over with you!!!

TA DAAAAAA

TKBoots_zpsckvqrgao.jpg

I have tried them on and I picked right.. being with a wide foot I went 1 size up from my Docs and they fit great. I think once I work am in a little I could probably even put in some inserts to add to the comfy.

Going to wear them off and on to work em in. Thanks TK Boots! :dancing-trooper:

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 1

ATTENTION.. ATTENTION.. INCOMING UPDATE ON OP BUILD.. PLEASE DO NOT MOVE ALONG because these boots will do some stompin' cuz that's just what they'll do.. one of these days these boots are gonna walk all over with you!!!

TA DAAAAAA

TKBoots_zpsckvqrgao.jpg

I have tried them on and I picked right.. being with a wide foot I went 1 size up from my Docs and they fit great. I think once I work am in a little I could probably even put in some inserts to add to the comfy.

Going to wear them off and on to work em in. Thanks TK Boots! :dancing-trooper:

Look at those white wall tires - nice!

• Like 1