Kidney notch issue

I hate you, DOs!  :D .

Well if I wanted it the other way I guess I shouldn't have declined the job! Anyway Chris (or Eric), i hope you won't have too much difficulty to address this issue.

Edited by The5thHorseman
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2016 at 6:22 AM, Knockerbot said:

I hope he doesn't mind me sharing, (sent in a pm) "Hey Eric, so the decision by Sly and myself is have the 22mm notch nearest the ab, not further back as originally discussed. We know this may a bit of work on your part however when it's completed it will look much nicer."

So if you need to have the armour with the extended kidneys, you will need to move the notch to the front edge of the kidney armour. 22mm x 22mm is what the notch needs to be in the end for centurion. Now this is extra work but I trust UKS and Sly with my life at this point and if that's what they say we need to do and what will look best that's what I'm doing. IF you need help please message me. I will be fumbling my way through this as soon as my armour comes in and will be happy to share my findings :) Considering I most likely now have 6 shims to make this fit me haha. 

That's odd that one DO sets a precendence one way, then other DO's change it. Oh well...

Sly and Ukswrath - Are builders recommended to fill in that nice work Mark has done with the AP kidney plate to move the notch further forward?

It's hard to see actual screen caps of the notch as most are covered by the belt, but most images of the armour in the gallery actually show the notch right back at the join to the butt, not near the front. Can you clarify your decision here please so other builders who are using the 'search' feature can find the answer.

Marks (AP) pic below for reference

--------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Aha. I see.

What then would be the plan to "fix" this?

A notch shim? Wouldn't that look weirder than the notch as is?

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aha. I see.

What then would be the plan to "fix" this?

A notch shim? Wouldn't that look weirder than the notch as is?

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to upload photo

Planning to use leftover ABS to form a 22mm X 22mm "L" bracket patch and use ABS paste to seal the seam on the front

There will be a back plate secured to the inside to add extra reinforcement

Edited by Pyrates

On standby for more vetted advice - not particularly keen on using abs patch and paste - thanks kindly in advance all!

Edited by Pyrates

On 1/22/2016 at 12:10 PM, Pyrates said:

-----------------

Yep, that's the theory. Not an easy patching work, but that's what you need to do right now.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Mine will actually be a double L,  What Py has across the bottom then up the front with a normal shim. if my maths right it'll have to be an extra 1.5 inches onto each side of the kidney so it'll eliminate the notch that's there right now totally and I'll just cut a new one from my crazy shim. 

• Like 1

I cannot believe this! Are the rules really so petty?

Seriously, if it was not bad enough before when people with armour that did not have the notch feature had to cut them out so the notch did not line up with the butt plate and looked awful (in my opinion), now you are going to the opposite extreme. Just leave the new kidney plate as is and trim to however wide you need. Why make things complicated?

Rant over :P

• Like 2

On 1/22/2016 at 11:15 PM, Knockerbot said:

kDL5YvV.jpg

Thanks Eric - that's awesome! A little sealing iron and a little cut and we're rocking!!!

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 1

That is good to know :)

I really do not understand the need to over engineer things. The CRL's are a guideline to aim for but I believe there should be some leeway for people who do not fit into the movie-sized suits. It often annoys me when I read some comments in the EIB or Centurion applications when someone needs to modify a perfectly good set of armour when there really is no need. Accuracy is what we all want but when you are not the perfect size for the armour, do the best you can and be happy. Fretting over minor details takes the fun out of the game.

• Like 5