Recaster alert: Furry Props on etsy selling recasts of my tfa armor

jimmiroquai

It states "Just to add these arent made by me but by a friend" which would suggest its not re-seling a previously bought item. I'll ask around to see if anyone knows anything about Furry Props. They dont look like they have been going very long (Dec 2015).

Would Disney or ANOVOS issue C&D against ulicenced producers? I know Lucusfilm generally turned a blind eye to the smaller maunfacturers of prop armour, but didnt know whether Disney or ANOVOS have a similar atitude?

Disney? If they issued a Copyright it would also be against the legion. Come on, we have the largest amount of Star Wars costumes. The Francine they now own. They have the right to shut us down. But lucky for us they are busy making money off of Star Wars Rebles and the Star Wars movies. ANOVOS on the other hand will likely file a copyright against them for the unauthorized use of their parts.

You can't stop recasting of any prop because selling it is illegal to begin with!! :) Copyright infringement (selling armor) is stealing from the copyright owner! A thief cannot call out another thief. So all you can do is understand that and keep sculpting and creating. Like I have always said. If you don't want to be recasted then don't offer it up for sale. It will get recasted. 

I mean,....yes it does suck, but there is nothing you can do about legally. If you call Disney, Etsy, Ebay or any other authority you just shine a HUGE spotlight on all of us and possibly kill the future ability of selling in that arena. So don't do that.

All prop sellers are doing it illegally unless the sculpt is original and not duplicating or copying someone else's intellectual property. :(

Edited by TK-4510
  • Like 1

You can't stop recasting of any prop because selling it is illegal to begin with!! :) Copyright infringement (selling armor) is stealing from the copyright owner! A thief cannot call out another thief. So all you can do is understand that and keep sculpting and creating. Like I have always said. If you don't want to be recasted then don't offer it up for sale. It will get recasted. 

I mean,....yes it does suck, but there is nothing you can do about legally. If you call Disney, Etsy, Ebay or any other authority you just shine a HUGE spotlight on all of us and possibly kill the future ability of selling in that arena. So don't do that.

All prop sellers are doing it illegally unless the sculpt is original and not duplicating or copying someone else's intellectual property. :(

Err...kinda sorta. It's also true though that the 501st will protect their own. Education and transparency of information, and at times banning folks, at least is a good start. It's better than a free for all.

• Like 1

Err...kinda sorta. It's also true though that the 501st will protect their own. Education and transparency of information, and at times banning folks, at least is a good start. It's better than a free for all.

Yep, that's about all that can be done. Just don't buy from fuzzypoops, or whatever they're called!!! lol!!

• Like 2

Hey are there any good places to get armor? I have been searching the entire website for known companies and heard nothing but horror stories...any idea where a GOOD, Original maker, and movie accurate first order or captain Phasma is? Also if this is a noob question sorry, but I am a noob :(

The guy who started this thread makes a very nice kit. Contact him.

Furry Props should definitely be added to every list of "Who to Avoid" in the Getting Started Section, with a link to this thread.

• Like 1

It happens to the best of us....... Just keep in mind that if people want quality they will find you......Recasting will happen but I can guarantee that it will second rate compared to the original........funnily enough it has not effected me at all even though my mic tips and helmets and armour have been recast.....

Just carry on what you are doing and you'll be fine..... You wouldn't believe the stories I have been told by recasters of my products..... it's laughable! :laugh1:

Edited by sskunky
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was a victim of this Furry Props seller.  I'm glad to say now that they have been banned from selling on Etsy and I got a full refund.  Thank you Jim for getting me on the list for the OG armor  B)

Were they banned simply for selling re-casted stuff or other reasons? How did you get your money back?

Hi, I've just joined and introduced myself on the introductions section and I wish I had come across this forum a few weeks ago as I am also a "victim" of the etsy seller known as Furry Props !(though that's not what I've been calling them the past few days!!!!) I ordered a set of the TFA stormtrooper armour off them way back in early January and at the time i had no idea that they had been passing off their armour as their own but after reading this thread i have seen that this is not the case !! They have since disappeared ,either they have been removed by etsy or on their own accord but unfortunately they have taken my money and several other people's as well as I remember seeing at least 10 other orders outstanding some for the full armour set Inc.helmet,blaster etc costing around £500.00 ! when their site was still up , so it seems I'm not the only one who has been conned!!!I have tried on several occasions to get in touch with them but had no luck so it left me with no choice but to make a claim with PayPal to try and recoup my money and also I've contacted etsy to complain about them aswell . Will keep you all posted of any progress and i hope all the other people who ordered from them and were ripped off get their money back too. thanks

Edited by Tedi67

Hi, just a quick update to say I've received a full refund from etsy regarding the TFA armour I intended to purchase, just hope all the other people who had orders outstanding got/get their money back too .

Great to hear you got your money back. It's so easy for people to innocently fall victim to these types of things.