ABS vs PVC

ABS is much higher quality than PVC and costs twice as much for a reason, those who say otherwise have a lot of learning to do.

Ā 

Odd, comparing ABS and PVC of the same thickness from my understanding the latter has some good properties going for it. I've asked this question myself here last month when deciding on a plastic type, and talked to RS Propmasters about it since they offer both types. The consensus was the although ABS is by far the most commonly used and what the originals were made from, PVC is a bit more durable, has much better ability to resist temperature swings and will not yellow like white ABS can. RSP mentioned that in their opinion the ABS is also a bit duller whereas the PVC was "the shinier cleaner look" in their words. I haven't heard any complains here by troopers who went the PVC route.

Ā 

As to ABS being "screen accurate" - well, it's what the originals were made of but HIPS/ABS/PVC sets can all be perfectly accurate visual models regardless of their actual plastics type.

• Like 2

Odd, comparing ABS and PVC of the same thickness from my understanding the latter has some good properties going for it. I've asked this question myself here last month when deciding on a plastic type, and talked to RS Propmasters about it since they offer both types. The consensus was the although ABS is by far the most commonly used and what the originals were made from, PVC is a bit more durable, has much better ability to resist temperature swings and will not yellow like white ABS can. RSP mentioned that in their opinion the ABS is also a bit duller whereas the PVC was "the shinier cleaner look" in their words. I haven't heard any complains here by troopers who went the PVC route.

Ā 

As to ABS being "screen accurate" - well, it's what the originals were made of but HIPS/ABS/PVC sets can all be perfectly accurate visual models regardless of their actual plastics type.

ABS has a much higher rubber content therefore more durable to impact and a much higher tolerance of flex without cracking or splitting, you can get ABS in any types of shine levels, again there's a reason it's way more expensive than PVC, its a much higher quality plastic! not sure what they mean about temperature swings, they use ABS plastic in the automotive industry not PVC and cars are exposed to extreme cold and extreme heat weather 24/7.

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 1

ABS has a much higher rubber content therefore more durable to impact and a much higher tolerance of flex without cracking or splitting, you can get ABS in any types of shine levels, again there's a reason it's way more expensive than PVC, its a much higher quality plastic! not sure what they mean about temperature swings, they use ABS plastic in the automotive industry not PVC and cars are exposed to extreme cold and extreme heat weather 24/7.

Ā 

The point on the rubber content and flex is an interesting one. As far as which one is ultimately more durable for trooping at 1.5mm widths is debatable. There must be some reason a vendor that uses both claim the PVC of the two is more durable in their observation. Yet, we're probably not looking at a huge difference either way. When I was trying to find the answer to this myself last year, I had some people comment that in cold weather trooping they had their ABS straps crack, who knows if PVC would have suffered the same fate in that condition... there could be other forces/wear in the equation. This comparison comes up often, despite a little out of context:

Ā 

http://www.diffen.com/difference/ABS_vs_PVC

Ā 

There are nuances and some pros/cons either way. I by no means am a professional that can state a definitive claim but it seems like one isn't going to be making a gross mistake going for one or the other. We're not talking about HIPS vs one or the other. In the end I got mine in PVC as I was ultimately convinced by my discussions with RSP, it has not yet arrived though so I'll certainly shed some more light into this conversation once I have more actual hands on experience with it.Ā  :smiley-sw013:

Edited by kamikaze

SomeĀ use a heat gun toĀ bend the ABS shoulder straps which makes the plastic brittleĀ therefore will loose its flexibility and more prone to crack.

Ā 

This says it all!

Ā 

Ā 

Durability

Ā 

"ABS is highly durable with high impact strength. PVC is less durable, as it is designed to be flexible and softer than usual plastics. However, both plastics are resistant to chemical and water degradation."

Edited by ABS80

• 4 weeks later...