Jamo's ANH-S TK (first) build [MTK]

Hey everyone,

I had my big brown box delivered this morning.  Yay!

Obligatory box photos below:

TK_20160112_001_zpswjf10ia8.jpg

TK_20160112_002_zpscpq8wuey.jpg

Supplies are ready to go:

TK_20160109_001_zpstpktwemq.jpg

This will be my first ever TK armour build - ANH-S (NB: in future I will be considering a HWT conversion).

Since this is your first build, be careful with that Zap a Gap lol. It seals really strong, so if you mess up you have a tiny window to "fix" it...

Good Luck! i look forward to seeing your build come together.

Have fun...

Thanks guys, caution acknowledged - I'm planning on using the E6000 extensively for cover strips. If I find that I build my confidence during the build the zap-a-gap might get used for other things later on. I'm also going with the wire system from Mr No Stripes for the torso parts.

Edited by jamo

First task complete - taking inventory:

image.jpg1_zpsdadrsx0p.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsvyczyayl.jpg

I'm planning on carrying out the build in the following sequence:

Torso: ab plate, chest plate, kidney plate & butt plate
Ammo belt, TD, drop boxes and holster
Thighs: thigh guards and thigh belt
Shins: shin guards, knee ammo pack and sniper plate
Arms: biceps, forearms and shoulder bells - then attach shoulder bells to the torso
Helmet

Handguards

Does this sound like a good plan?

Edited by jamo

That sounds fine. You'll just be removing a little extra flashing on the torso sections so you can get a feel for the plastic. I'd say knock out arms before legs though. And remember, measure everything a few times before cutting. Make sure it fits before you cut also! If you need room, you can always give more space but try to do so in the rear. If you have any questions, that's what we are here for. You can PM me as well if needed. 

That sounds fine. You'll just be removing a little extra flashing on the torso sections so you can get a feel for the plastic. I'd say knock out arms before legs though. And remember, measure everything a few times before cutting. Make sure it fits before you cut also! If you need room, you can always give more space but try to do so in the rear. If you have any questions, that's what we are here for. You can PM me as well if needed. 

Thanks Jason.  Will change the arms and legs in the build sequence. I'm definitely taking my time where trimming areas that affect the overall fit - i'm a skinny guy so in the end I think there will be quite a bit coming off, but I am going to trim less at first and, if needed, then trim some more until it feels right.

• 2 weeks later...

Time to post some more progress.

Pics from the trimming process:

TK_20160117_001_zpsmtui2dht.jpg

back plate

TK_20160117_002_zpssou72jxy.jpg

back plate edge

TK_20160117_004_zpswzsybx6w.jpg

Inside view - kidney and butt

TK_20160117_005_zpsxoaqmlez.jpg

Chest

TK_20160117_006_zpsyy6yevqo.jpg

Chest edge

TK_20160117_008_zpsognnwexb.jpg

Ab plate

TK_20160117_009_zpswvjdljuv.jpg

Ab edge

TK_20160117_010_zpseojwkbos.jpg

Cod area

TK_20160117_011_zps3hhzquwu.jpg

inner biceps

TK_20160117_012_zpspfuf8fee.jpg

inner bicep edges

TK_20160117_013_zpsjfoslnwg.jpg

outer biceps

TK_20160117_014_zpsrycxyz5l.jpg

shoulder bells

TK_20160117_015_zpsh3m8smrs.jpg

shoulder bell edge

These are all the initial trims - each edge needs to be adjusted to the required size, which I am basing from here: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/20366-size-of-return-edges-on-the-chest-ab-and-kidney-plates/

That trimming was last weekend, and this weekend I spent time reducing the edges down on the back plate, kidney plate and butt plate in preparation of fitting the brackets and elastic from Mr No Stripes.  The completed pics are below:

TK_20160124_005_zpscedpmydo.jpg

TK_20160124_006_zps6ibqdtlf.jpg

Also, as can bee seen from the first pic of the strapping system, I glued on the 2" wide white elastic at the top of the plate that will connect with the top of the chest plate.

I should also add that I felt I needed to leave some extra room for the L & R sides at the kidney to butt plate connection, so moved the brackets here inwards by some, in case I need to trim the sides down even further.  As this is a first build, this aspect to fitting the armour is a difficult one for me, and I've found it a little hard to ascertain from photos.  I'm hoping to meet up with the local garrison soon to get the required help.

Very cool, always good to see original brackets :)

Thanks Scott, I've always liked the look of the brackets and read favourable comments on them, so went for it.  And sourcing from Mr No Stripes meant that the brackets are nice and consistent in size and shape.

Forgot to post up these extra pics whilst I made my belt.

Started out with about 0.6m of "pop top" - cotton drill fabric.  Measured out 3 x 3" doubled over sections (making 3" wide x 6 layers).

TK_20160124_001_zpsdon5xvhm.jpg

TK_20160124_002_zpsnn39dq9k.jpg

(notice the excess on one side - I'll get back to that in a second).  Cracked out the wife's sewing machine and off I went stitching an edge to each side.  Once stitched I then trimmed the excess from the side - giving a frayed edge look to one of the edges.

TK_20160124_003_zpsgf1serpw.jpg

Final measurement - it comes in over 80mm but under the 83mm max allowed under the CRL.

TK_20160124_004_zpsd5orcbjc.jpg

Just a warning before you get too far with the belt assembly. I did something similar and i had puckering at the rivets at the end of the ammo pouches. I ended up using sign plastic inserts. The plus is it supports the holster and blaster really well. May not be accurate assembly but i had to disassemble to get a clean look. Just FYI

Thanks Joe. I still have one end open and haven't trimmed the belt to length yet. Will try and find something that I can slide through as an insert, maybe a PET type material, or very thin ABS. Ideas??

Thanks Joe. I still have one end open and haven't trimmed the belt to length yet. Will try and find something that I can slide through as an insert, maybe a PET type material, or very thin ABS. Ideas??

I used a moving sale sign bought at Walmart. Thin and very flexible.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/32163-trogdors-first-build-mtk/page-6#entry455745

Back to work on the torso.  Trimmed up the top edge of the ab/cod to about 10-12mm and then the bottom edge of the chest plate to 10-12mm.  Located and marked the centre bracket location on the chest, and transferred this to the ab/cod.  Drilled and then fitted the brackets.  Side brackets will go in once the ab/cod is trimmed at the side.  So taped it up for the time being.

TK_20160126_007_zpsfwdw9lps.jpg
pic on the inside (note the part optic illusion)

TK_20160126_008_zpsaod523sp.jpg
pic on the outside

OK. So, now time to get serious.  First fitting to check out how the armour is 'hanging' and what the sides look like (I was expecting a lot of trimming)....

TK_20160126_009_zps1i8uxems.jpg

TK_20160126_010_zpsdheqe1i2.jpg

TK_20160126_011_zpsm8mugioe.jpg

Yup ... lots of trimming!!!

IMO - the ab/cod has a lot to come off.  Normal technique seems to mean it comes back so that the butt line flows upwards and continues.  But (no pun intended) the butt plate is looking/feeling big on me.

Options: do nothing, or mod the butt plate.

I'm thinking the join line, and butt plate edge needs to be like this.
TK_20160126_012_zps2gjmzlmh.jpg

Maybe even a little more - help please!

Also, I think the butt plate needs some head treatment to make it contour to me a bit better (the side wants to flay out) and also the edges between the kidney and butt are not quite sitting together well enough, some more heat there too I guess.

Not sure whether to keep on trucking ahead on my own or sit out and wait until an upcoming build weekend involving members of the local garrison......

I used a moving sale sign bought at Walmart. Thin and very flexible.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/32163-trogdors-first-build-mtk/page-6#entry455745

Looks good.  No Walmart here in Australia, but the equivalent to your home depot stores (bunnings) should have something.

• 2 months later...

It has quite the hiatus since I last posted - well being busy with work, family, etc certainly does slow down the armour building.

But recently I have been hard at it, so here come some pics:

Completed 'clam-shell'
TK_20160425_005_zpsycawbdzp.jpg

Left Side rivets
TK_20160425_001_zpsoocjuhcv.jpg

inside view of the rivets
TK_20160425_006_zpsctfhoojq.jpg

Right Side Snap
TK_20160425_002_zpst909605g.jpg

Cod rivet
TK_20160425_003_zpsbqzzpc7d.jpg

Butt plate snaps
TK_20160425_004_zpszrfnzdjp.jpg

I've also finished (but not photographed yet):

- the shoulder bells (elastic strap around the bicep has been glued in, next to glue is the elastic that connects to the shoulder - you can see these pieces of elastic in the 'clam-sheel' photo)
- the biceps, inner piece glued to outer piece for both left and right with cover strips and extra internal strips, just need to make and glue in the 'hook' that hooks onto the shoulder bell elastic
- trimmed the forearms ready for glueing the cover strips: here is where I have a questions about sizing as I have skinny forearms and plan to glue in foam to stop the forearms pieces moving around, but how much foam is too much?
- trimmed down the ammo belt piece
  • Like 1

- trimmed the forearms ready for glueing the cover strips: here is where I have a questions about sizing as I have skinny forearms and plan to glue in foam to stop the forearms pieces moving around, but how much foam is too much?

When you can't get your arm in, then it is too much. :D

Seriously though, you only need enough to keep the forearm from flopping around.

If you connect the bicep to the forearm, then you want the forearm to be able to slide just a bit when you move. This keeps the two relatively close to each other.

If not, then you can probably use a bit more foam to keep the forearm in place.