Color painting a Stormtrooper Armor

Hello friends!

I am here to ask a question on behalf of my girlfriend.

Can you color paint a Stormtrooper armor? (she has an ABS Armor from RS Prop Master)

She wants to paint it in (maybe you already guessed it) PINK or light pink :huh: It wouldn't be my choice, but I am already happy my girlfriend loves Star Wars to :lol::smiley-sw013:

We would like to know what you need to do to paint an armor, in a good/professional way.

I hope you guys can help us!

Cheers from Holland,

And may the force be with you! :duim:

You can color your armor. The first question is, is she wanting to join the 501st? If she is, pink armor is not approvable. (But we do have members wear pink armor or under armor for Breast Cancer awareness events!)

If it's armor she is not intending to have approved.... sand.. spray the armor with primer, sand, then paint. You can use anything from rattle can paints like Krylon to using automotive grade paints or even a paint booth used in the automotive industry if you have the money to do so.

• Like 1

Please PLEASE take the prep of this seriously. Unless the proper amount of time is given to the primer to bond to the armor surface, it will begin lifting (or crinkling) upon the application of the top coat.  2 things have worked for me: Apply the primer to all parts and let cure at room temp or better for 7 days minimum. After 7 days, sand if you wish then apply all planned coats 10 min apart.  OR......... apply primer, wait 15 minutes then apply top coats with no more than 10 minutes between coats. 

• 3 weeks later...

we do have members wear pink under armor for Breast Cancer awareness events

Under suit in pink would be a great idea before starting to paint armour, at least worth a try...

Edited by humperdingle

• 3 years later...
29 minutes ago, Norman2020 said:

So I have a helmet I want to paint for my senior show in collage. Do I have to sand it or will primer be enough? Also I am going to use acrulic paints. Do I even need primer?

I light wetsand 400 grit would help, I would suggest Krylon gloss white all in one paint/primer excellent coverage especially when painting white I use it all the time for other subjects.  if you will be using standard primer unless its white you will need several white paint to cover the grey primer, with krylon all in one just a few light coats and your set

Edited by ABS80

8 minutes ago, Norman2020 said:

When you say wet sand what do you mean?

meaning you sand on a wet surface, you can buy sanding paper especially made for wetsanding,  just google wet sanding or check youtube it will better explain, basically its a a smoother sanding techniques 

Edited by ABS80

You can add a little dish washing liquid to the water as it will help the sandpaper glide and reduce clogging. 

• Like 1