ANH, ESB, ROTJ, oh my...

I've been reading a bunch, gearing up for a TK build.  I just don't know which route to go (and ANH I get to choose from 2, yay!)  What I can't seem to find is, what do people normally gravitate towards?  Or is it just a blend of availability and wait-times, affordability, body type, etc.?  For instance, I've love to hear, "Oh, everybody mostly gets X because of Y and Z...."  Know what I mean?  I don't want to be the outlier, I want common armor.  :)

From what I have noticed, Jason, the most popular armor is ANH Stunt, (not that i'm partial.... Well... a bit).  If you look through the EIB and Centurion submission threads, the vast majority are ANH S.

I went this route because I knew I would be going for Heavy Weapons trooper, and it worked out pretty well.

Edited by justjoseph63
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

This was my question too.  What is the biggest difference between them?  I've been looking at the various specs for each but only notice little subtle differences.  Hand guard shapes, holster strap color etc.  Is that it or am I missing something?  In theory shouldn't they all be the same.  I understand from a movie production stance the films were made several years apart and costumes had to be remade and/or fixed/updated.  What are the most noticeable differences?  Reading the requirements for the builds the stuff actually seems generic.  Is it just these little things you guys notice to tell ANH S apart from a ROTJ armor?  TIA. 

When it comes right down to it there are no huge differences in the overall appearance.  Even up close, 99% of the general public doesn't notice the subtle variations, but since we strive for screen accuracy and there are certain characteristics that each one has we have the CRLs.  I think a lot of it has to do with personal preference.  If ESB was someones' favorite film from the franchise, then they have the opportunity to emulate the armor from that film with all it's nuances.

I think ANH Stunt is the most popular because many people identify with it, and it is also the easiest to get.  If you are (hopefully) thinking of joining the 501st, just make sure that you get a kit from one of the "vetted" armorers here, (link below).  Not all sellers offer the complete range of TK armor types, but you can find whichever one you want there.  Just be sure to avoid eBay anything you find online, as they are are 99.9% re-casts.  Cheap?  Yes.  501st acceptable?  No.  

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

Here is another informative thread:  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/19329-where-what-and-whom-to-avoid-when-buying/

This was my question too.  What is the biggest difference between them?  I've been looking at the various specs for each but only notice little subtle differences.  Hand guard shapes, holster strap color etc.  Is that it or am I missing something?  In theory shouldn't they all be the same.  I understand from a movie production stance the films were made several years apart and costumes had to be remade and/or fixed/updated.  What are the most noticeable differences?  Reading the requirements for the builds the stuff actually seems generic.  Is it just these little things you guys notice to tell ANH S apart from a ROTJ armor?  TIA. 

The differences between ANH-S, ANH-H and ESB are very subtile, yes. some minor differences on the helmet, the holster and the handguards - that's it.

But between those and the ROTJ armor, there is a larger step. The ROTJ armor has a U-shaped trim over all edges of the armor.

But stick to joseph's links. Check out the vetted makers, compare them and chose the one that is best for you! :)

I got the notification in my inbox to this thread, and thought, "Gee, what a clever title."  Turns out, I wrote that.  I guess I think I'm pretty clever..  ;)

Anywhoo, I decided to go with ANH Stunt. Can't say that I can tell you what the difference is, but I do know that what I picked is pretty common.  I also went with it due to it's status as being the first common armor seen in the movies.  It's currently under construction.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jason,<br><br>

I have the same question, but glad to see that others had the same question, I was looking at the ATA or Anovos armour and was wondering what the base kit is based one. I am a bit confused but it appears that ANH-S is the better option.<br><br>

Matt

• 1 month later...

Right, so this is something I've also been pondering over the last month or so! Literally snapping pics of ANH, ESB, and ROTJ suits and flipping back and forth, looking for differences. It's amazing how at first they all look alike, but after examining every nuance I can now spot an ROTJ from a mile away! I need a life!<br>

In any case, I'm going ROTJ just to subtly different than the rest. I'm also thinking the rubber edges and more curved chest and back pieces have to be more comfortable. The overlap construction seems a bit easier than the butt-edge strips too. <br>

Just my $0.02.