Are resin helmets good?

Don´t forget - as long as you don´t only wear this stuff at home, we were forced to look at your armor at events.

And a ugly armor, a to small/fat/long trooper takes the fun away for some others (as does a "round" Han Solo, a blonde Leia, .....). It ruins the SW feeling, and brings those moments down to a halloween event.

So ..... yeah, even being no part of the club it bothers.

Don´t forget - as long as you don´t only wear this stuff at home, we were forced to look at your armor at events.

And a ugly armor, a to small/fat/long trooper takes the fun away for some others (as does a "round" Han Solo, a blonde Leia, .....). It ruins the SW feeling, and brings those moments down to a halloween event.

Good god, did you really just go there? I quietly respected everything you said up to this point, but you're crossing the line now and you need to be called out on it. Body shaming is NOT okay, and no one should be discouraged from cosplaying their favorite character due to the way they look. Let the people have their fun. I don't think the 501st, nor the cosplay community in general, would mesh well with people who hold viewpoints like yours.

OP had his question answered, and somehow in the same thread RS was bashed (again) and people are being body shamed. Let's put a cap on it.

• Like 4

501st is for fun, to help with charity, to make children smile. So a remark like this is not ok Michael, sorry.

• Like 3

You should be ashamed of yourself for making a comment like that. Seriously. It's not OK.

• Like 2

501st is for fun, to help with charity, to make children smile. So a remark like this is not ok Michael, sorry.

Sergiu, I´m 5.8 myself - but due to many years workout, i´m not that skinny as i think a trooper should be.

That´s why i don´t run around in armour - it wouldn´t look "right" for me, and i wouldn´t want to display a wrong looking trooper to the public.

I also don´t understand that some are complaining about "too heavy" helmets, blasters, .... - soldier/trooper wannabees that couldn´t wear stuff already lighter than what todays real soldiers are carrying daily)? That´s just the way i´m ticking, i don´t blame anyone for his body, just for the choosen costume that looks weird on him.

And sorry .... for fun, charity, children smile ..... maybe it started that way, but with all those elitist rules i don´t see that anymore. If it would be really just for the fun, you wouldn´t force people to obey those standards. More leeway, more fun, it´s only costuming and noone than the people here (and a handfull collectors) would notice lesser standards - and it wouldn´t say that those who want to be more set accurate couldn´t do it. 

As someone who once had an EFX as a first helmet, I upgraded to a CAP-W and never looked back. The HIPS plastic is much lighter and more comfortable to wear than whatever the thick stuff EFX is made of. That, MTK, and ATA are all fine choices for cheap, good quality kits. Why buy an EFX and do a bunch of extra work to make it pass for basic approval, when you can just buy a quality kit for roughly the same amount of money (sometimes less)?

I agree. My problem was I owned the MRCE before I even heard of the 501st, then bought me a set of armour, which came incidentally without a lid. It took me some nerve, pain and time to get the helmet up to the standards, but I did it. Even though I got more than enough flak from all those accuracy fanatics. I was even thinking of quitting my build altogether had it not been for some individuals who encouraged me to carry on.

And I still do like this helmet. Not only because of all the work I invested, but I like the looks. I like the symmetry, while still being a recognisable Stormtrooper. Look at the poll who is wearing what kind of armour and take in the number of proud members wearing their MRCE/EFX. As you said all of these troopers did all the extra work, so as long as the bucket is acceptale by modification I see no reason to bash on it all the time (this does not mean you personally). At least add "out of the box", because everything else is discriminating exactly the work all these troopers have put in those buckets.

Edited by WhiteNight
  • Like 1

Yup, same. I had mine before I knew that more accurate options were available. My intention wasn't to berate anyone who put work into theirs and make the best of what they already have. It's not a BAD helmet by any means, but those who would willingly choose it over say, an ATA or CAP-W, would puzzle me. If you like what you're wearing, keep wearing it. :)

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

I would much more prefer if someone made a better looking symmetric helmet. That might sound like an oxymoron, but I think it could be done. As long as it's not mirrored from the original wonkyness but keeping with the size and details of the original features.

• Like 2

I would much more prefer if someone made a better looking symmetric helmet. That might sound like an oxymoron, but I think it could be done. As long as it's not mirrored from the original wonkyness but keeping with the size and details of the original features.

You can´t imagine how much i second that.

I don´t think it will really ever happen, but there is still hope that Anovos will deliver something in that direction. Hope dies last.

My post is raped by you. I can not even follow your discussion. lol :peace:

I'm new to TK armor, as well. However, having some experience working with resin in the scale modeling world, I would highly recommend against getting a resin lid. The finishing work is very involved and time consuming. Plus, as was mentioned earlier, if you drop the helmet...you will cry.

If you're up for a challenge and want a less expensive helmet to put in a display case, resin would be fine, but I - personally - would not think about wearing one for trooping.

• Like 1

While your argument against a resin helmet is valid to a certain degree, it´s not as exposed to damage as some may think.

Remember all those resin blasters that were carried around - due to handling them all the time (when the bucket in on the head) THEY are much more endangered to break as a helmet.

• Like 1