Are resin helmets good?

hi Guys

I'm still fairly new to the scene and wanted to ask if a Resin helmet stunt version of the manufacturer: http://resintrooperhelmets.weebly.com/

suitable for troopen?

Or you have to ABS / HIPS have? What are the advantages of Resin? Or from the 501st rejects this?

Thank you apologize in advance for your tips !! Smile

My advice is to avoid it. Some kinds of helmets - like Mandalorian helmets for example, are good resin helmets. But you will be much better off with a trooper helmet made of ABS or HIPS. There are no advantages in having a trooper helmet made of resin. It will be heavier and more expensive. And if you drop it, you're S.O.L. 

Take a look at the recommended vendors here. http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

Edited by SolidScrafty
  • Like 1

hi Guys
I'm still fairly new to the scene and wanted to ask if a Resin helmet stunt version of the manufacturer: http://resintrooperhelmets.weebly.com/
suitable for troopen?
Or you have to ABS / HIPS have? What are the advantages of Resin? Or from the 501st rejects this?
Thank you apologize in advance for your tips !! Smile

Mike is right, ABS OT trooper helmets are so readily available and made really great like this. There is no need to get a resin version of the OT trooper helmets.

Resin is great, but why, when you can be just like the film helmets and get is in ABS.

• Like 1

Its because I know a seller who has no wait list for a resin helmet. Its also a little bid cheaper. Thats the reason why I maybe would choose the resin one

That probably just means he's selling you a recast.

If they don´t lie and they are really made from original pieces .....

Then they bought those (no matter if legal or on shady ways), what means they own them. But there is no proove that LFL granted them to make copies

I see no difference to someone buying a RS suit, owning it due to having paid for it, and then make copies without their approval.

That's completely silly. The issue with recasting is not giving credit to the originator, and passing off something inferior. It's frowned upon for very good reason.

That is not what RS Props is doing. Brian Muir blessed what RS is doing, good enough for me.

I can't understand why you are so against what RS does and offers, since it is without a doubt the most direct descendant of screen used armor available.

If you don't like bumps and warts that's fine, but holy crap dude...

• Like 4

Then they bought those (no matter if legal or on shady ways), what means they own them. But there is no proove that LFL granted them to make copies

I see no difference to someone buying a RS suit, owning it due to having paid for it, and then make copies without their approval.

This talk about RS has nothing to do with OP's question about resin helmets. I don't think bashing RS is adding anything too constuctive to the discussion. I'd think you'd be more than welcome to start your own thread in which you can voice your opinions.

---

Another thing about resin helmets worth mentioning, is the work it takes to finish them from their raw state. Speaking from experience, sanding and cutting resin with, say, a dremel, kicks up a LOT of toxic particles. It's messy, and you'd need a respirator for sure. ABS is much easier to work with - it's possible to do most of your work with a razor blade and some sandpaper.

If you want a cheap, good quality helmet kit that's easy to work with, hit up Scootch and see if he can sell you one. He uses HIPS that requires painting, but I've found that it's easier to cut and assemble vs. ABS. A few coats of spray paint and clear coat, and no one will tell the difference. :)

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

Edited by SolidScrafty
  • Like 2

Here we go again, still on your one man crusade against RS

That's completely silly. The issue with recasting is not giving credit to the originator, and passing off something inferior. It's frowned upon for very good reason.

That is not what RS Props is doing. Brian Muir blessed what RS is doing, good enough for me.

I can't understand why you are so against what RS does and offers, since it is without a doubt the most direct descendant of screen used armor available.

If you don't like bumps and warts that's fine, but holy crap dude...

Silly is this hobbys behaviour to ignore everything that might interrupt to get what you want, and construct stories and reasons to generate a situation that excuses the possibility to get those.

So you say .... when i make copies from RS in a good quality and giving them credit ("This armor is made by using RS as a Master") ...... it would be OK to sell those copies? I don´t believe that. 

RS is only the most prominent example, that´s why i choose them when argueing. My opinion is the same for each derived and not completely selfmade parts.

In fact it has nothing to do with the bumps and warts, thats just another/additional thing.

RS are taking Brian Muirs work, and with his approval, copying it for authenticity so sake . Then they give full credit to Brian on their website and all advertising literature . Hardly recasting . They have also had approval and permission from Liz Moores son for their helmets , who again they credit on the website and in print . Hardly recasting . <br>

Your one man crusade against RS is tiresome .

• Like 2

Back on topic .<br>

With respect to resin helmets .<br>

For many years I trooped with a resin helmet . Having used foam to make it fit well, I never noticed the weight , nor did I notice the less weight when I upgraded to screen accurate plastic. <br>

However, the hours of bondo ( filler ) and sanding that I put into the resin helmet originally , and the effort of painting it to a high standard , would be beyond most first timers . ( I was working in a car paint shop at the time ) <br>

With experience of both, I would say don't bother with resin when far more screen accurate looks can be attained by simply buying a vac formed helmet which requires only trimming with scissors and assembling . There are many " walk through" guides to do that on this forum .

• Like 3

RS are taking Brian Muirs work, and with his approval, copying it for authenticity so sake . Then they give full credit to Brian on their website and all advertising literature . Hardly recasting . They have also had approval and permission from Liz Moores son for their helmets , who again they credit on the website and in print . Hardly recasting . <br>

Your one man crusade against RS is tiresome .

Those people are only paid creators who delivered their work to the owner and lost all rights as soon as they fulfilled their job - their opinion is worth nothing in regard if someone wants to make duplicates.

Those people are only paid creators who delivered their work to the owner and lost all rights as soon as they fulfilled their job - their opinion is worth nothing in regard if someone wants to make duplicates.

So I guess your only OT TK helmet so far is a Rubies, MR/EFX or Hasbro? All very accurate....

So I guess your only OT TK helmet so far is a Rubies, MR/EFX or Hasbro? All very accurate....

No, MRCE/EFX is made from a Laserscan of an original helmet, so it is not completely selfmade...

P.S. I don't see why everyone is always bashing at the MRCE/EFX. Compared to the FX helmets of yore, this is such an increase of accuracy.

No, MRCE/EFX is made from a Laserscan of an original helmet, so it is not completely selfmade...

P.S. I don't see why everyone is always bashing at the MRCE/EFX. Compared to the FX helmets of yore, this is such an increase of accuracy.

In some ways. But it severely lacks accuracy in other areas. So yes, we still bash it, but for other reasons. ;)
  • Like 3

As someone who once had an EFX as a first helmet, I upgraded to a CAP-W and never looked back. The HIPS plastic is much lighter and more comfortable to wear than whatever the thick stuff EFX is made of. That, MTK, and ATA are all fine choices for cheap, good quality kits. Why buy an EFX and do a bunch of extra work to make it pass for basic approval, when you can just buy a quality kit for roughly the same amount of money (sometimes less)?

• Like 1

I own the MR CE as well as 8 other TK helmets: RS, ATA, AP, TE2, SDS, EFX LE, CfO. And there is not comparison with the others, sorry, MR CE helmet is a nice idealized symmetrical licensed lid, but that is all that it is. If you want somewhat accurate MR CE/EFX PCR is not your best bet. I still keep it though as it was my first 1:1 helmet.

Edited by jkno

Why buy an EFX and do a bunch of extra work to make it pass for basic approval, when you can just buy a quality kit for roughly the same amount of money (sometimes less)?

Off course it makes no sense to start with a EFX and then make it wonky.

But - ever thought that there may be people who would prefer to use a EFX as it is, cause they like it´s look? And that those people only buy the ugly not symmetrical, sanitized, whatever helmets cause they are forced to, due to  the rules?

Buy two helmets? One for you and one for joining? I'm also guessing you have no interest in joining, so you don't have to bother with the rules of the club.