velcro falling off

Hi guys, I just finished assembling my trooper, I used velcro that was supplied for the most part, but it seems to peel off in the heat. I heard some of you guys use fasteners or snaps to hold it together, is there a specific size or a link to a good source for these?

Thanks

Declan

Hi guys, I just finished assembling my trooper, I used velcro that was supplied for the most part, but it seems to peel off in the heat. I heard some of you guys use fasteners or snaps to hold it together, is there a specific size or a link to a good source for these?

Thanks

Declan

If you used the velcro that came with the FX Kit, replace it with Industrial Velcro. Much stronger adhesive.

You can also use snaps. The snaps can be found at most fabric stores (Jo-Ann Fabric, Wal-Mart, etc.), look for some that say "Heavy Duty" or "Industrial"

If you used the velcro that came with the FX Kit, replace it with Industrial Velcro. Much stronger adhesive.

You can also use snaps. The snaps can be found at most fabric stores (Jo-Ann Fabric, Wal-Mart, etc.), look for some that say "Heavy Duty" or "Industrial"

Perfect, thanks so much. I looked like a homeless trooper with everything falling off of me :-)

here's another tip for ya. I can't sow and so to add Velcro to my home made straps I put fabric glue to the back of the Velcro (yes the Velcro has a sticky back but its not sticky enough to adhere to straps). this has worked great for me. I use the clear fabric glue. You can get it at Michaels or JoAnns. It dries real fast too.

And for getting that gooey cheeser adhesive off your armor (the stuff that's on it now) get some citrus based cleaner and some paper towels. If you let it soak a few minutes it scrubs right off. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

oh man, the memory of shuffling back to the hotel at Comic-Con a few years ago because the adhesive velcro inside my thighs came off of the shell. My thighs were around my shins, how embarrassing, had a long way to walk...

I use snaps for almost every point of contact now, except for keeping clamshells together (biceps, shins, forearms, thighs). Anything that will see motion needs to be snapped in my opinion. And the two worst points are the shoulder bells and the thighs because of course they see the most motion.

I think there's another good snap tutorial out there but I have one on my site too, hope it's not too confusing. I'm still under the impression that one person cannot clearly describe how snaps work to another person. It can't be done in words alone. lol

http://www.journeymanprotector.netfirms.com/snaps1.htm

What's trippy about that link is that it's on a free netfirms account I created 5 years ago, had no idea it was still up, I had removed the tutorial from my new site lol...

Hope that helps,

Phil

Snaps for sure. The only parts that have velcro are the backs of my legs and forearms. Everything else is glued or snapped.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer snaps as I do not have to drill holes for the rivets into the armor. For my suspenders, I used both snaps and velcro. I sewed velcro onto the straps and glued industrial velcro around the snap tab I had glued to the armor. Works well for me.

You can get industrial snaps at Home Depot and Lowe's or another or hardware store. You can get heavy duty snaps at a fabric store like Hancock Fabrics or Joann's.

Fronts on legs are ABS glued, back with industrial velcro. Arms are velcro, knee plate riveted, thigh utility belt is industrial velcro, shoulder straps velcro (though I plan on changing that, velcro has not been holding well becaus of ridges. That's a basic run down of me.

I prefer snaps as I do not have to drill holes for the rivets into the armor. For my suspenders, I used both snaps and velcro. I sewed velcro onto the straps and glued industrial velcro around the snap tab I had glued to the armor. Works well for me.

You can get industrial snaps at Home Depot and Lowe's or another or hardware store. You can get heavy duty snaps at a fabric store like Hancock Fabrics or Joann's.

what's better, industrial snaps or heavy duty snaps???? and do i need a snap gun???? thanks everyone!!!!

I don't know that there is any difference between them aside from the name. The brands I have bought have all said heavy-duty but they're likely the same as industrial. I did pick up a pair of heavy-duty snap pliers and they do make afixing snaps quite easy, but I don't believe they are necessary. I also have a "manual" snap tool kit that works just as well and was much cheaper. It's just more labor intensive than using the pliers as it requires a hammer.

I don't know that there is any difference between them aside from the name. The brands I have bought have all said heavy-duty but they're likely the same as industrial. I did pick up a pair of heavy-duty snap pliers and they do make afixing snaps quite easy, but I don't believe they are necessary. I also have a "manual" snap tool kit that works just as well and was much cheaper. It's just more labor intensive than using the pliers as it requires a hammer.

thanks, most likely i will buy the pliers....where did you get your whole set-up???? Lowe's/home Depot?????

thanks, most likely i will buy the pliers....where did you get your whole set-up???? Lowe's/home Depot?????

Picked up everything at JoAnne's fabric store and also at Hobby Lobby. I think you can also find most if not all of it at Wal-Mart, as well.

The heavy duty snaps tend to come in one size. The snaps need a little jig which you can buy with a container of snaps. You will need a hammer. I have had no success with the pliers the fabric stores sell for snaps. Besides banging with a hammer is more fun.