TK-71823 Requesting ANH EIB Status [AM] [521]

At long last here is my EIB submission. I thank you in advance for the time and effort that goes into reviewing the submissions and look forward to some good news and some solid critiques.

Basic Information

Name:  Erik Duane

Legion ID:  71823

FISD Forum name: GunnerD

Garrison:  Southern Californian Garrison

Mandatory Information

Armor Maker:  AM (TK Armor on Facebook)

Helmet Maker:  AM (TK Armor on Facebook)

Blaster Type:  Hyperfirm

Optional Information

Height:  6’

Weight:  190 lbs.

Boots Maker:  Imperial Boots

Canvas Belt:  unknown

Hand Plates:  AM (TK Armor on Facebook)

S-trim:  AM (TK Armor on Facebook)

Electronics:  None at this time

Neal Seal Type:  unknown

Holster Maker:  Darmin

Mic Tips:  AM (TK Armor on Facebook)

Front

Front%20arms%20at%20side_zpsyuhfweuc.jpg

Back

Back%20arms%20at%20side_zps3z5jb8fu.jpg

Left - Arm Raised

Left%20arms%20raised_zpsxappij2b.jpg

Right Arm Raised

Right%20arms%20raised_zpsc4pareby.jpg

Right Side Detail

Right%20side%20detial%20with%20belt_zpszRight%20Side%20detail%20no%20belt_zps2ja

Left Side Detail

Left%20side%20detail%20with%20belt_zps3zLeft%20side%20detail_zpsalqn2kea.jpg

Abdomen

Abdomen%20details_zpsulmcswqf.jpg

Action Shot

Action%20Shot_zpsq23tepcz.jpg

Cod & Butt plate attachment

Cod%20and%20buttplate%20attachment_zpsvy

Interior Strapping

Interior%20Strapping_zps5wzsfdwa.jpg

Helmet 

Helmet%20front_zpse02q96tu.jpgHelmet%20back_zpsqucn9spy.jpg

Helmet%20L%20Side_zpsqfhnb5ds.jpgHelmet%20R%20Side_zpswzki8tte.jpg

Hovi Tip Detail

Helmet%20hovi%20mic%20detail_zps7ssss9fz

Lens Color Back-lit

Helmet%20lens%20backlit_zpsvuivpyg8.jpg

Blaster 

Blaster%20left_zpsd71wgo0c.jpg8bdcf400-08b1-4ac8-b058-7f0c0dc4449e_zpsBlaster%20D-ring_zpsnezbefpq.jpg

Neck Seal

Neckseal_zpshfdxki9m.jpg

Thermal Detonator Back

TD%20back_zpsn61j4trl.jpg

Holster Attachment

Holster%20attachment_zpszl6mnt6c.jpg

Thanks for your consideration.

• Like 1

Yes AM has updated their chest and back to be more accurate. This looks like their "NE" line of armor which they sold a while ago.  Nice work on this!! Great attention to detail. There is some extra return edge you have on your back and sides that could be evened up but that's for a later date. I would look into reducing the diameter of your biceps. They are HUGE on you. This is a comfort thing, though.

It looks good!

Sake of curiosity, chest and back plate are from AM?

Yes sir, the entire build came from TK Armor (on facebook) aka AM. The only parts I purchased separately were the lens (like the one trooper-bay sells even though AM provides 2 types with the kit), TD clips & soft-parts (under-armor, gloves,holster, blaster, belt, etc)

Yes AM has updated their chest and back to be more accurate. This looks like their "NE" line of armor which they sold a while ago.  Nice work on this!! Great attention to detail. There is some extra return edge you have on your back and sides that could be evened up but that's for a later date. I would look into reducing the diameter of your biceps. They are HUGE on you. This is a comfort thing, though.

Thanks for the observations and advice. I plan on hitting the gym hard this year to fit those biceps...

Edited by GunnerD

As amplifying pictures were requested here they are. 

To demonstrate that my biceps were built to accommodate a position most comfortable to carrying a blaster at events and that they are actually big enough to fill my "HUGE" bicep armor I took a contrasting color side shot (albeit in a mirror so my right bicep looks like my left) to demonstrate how they look in the carry, past carry (over 90 degree bend) and un-flexed:

approximately 90 degree bend (actually very snug and slightly uncomfortable in this position for long periods but I did not feel I could making the biceps any bigger without taking away from appearance):

20160105_172252_zpslzh6id9u.jpg

90 degree+ 

20160105_172247_zpsbxgxxrja.jpg

un-flexed

20160105_172257_zpsggzvb1dk.jpg

Additionally, here are multiple pics of my right bicep armor front view (as you would see facing me, and the one featured above) next to a flexible rule to show that they cover strips are indeed straight:

Side view showing curve (which may make them to appear crooked from straight on)

20160105_172458_zpsftstycvk.jpg20160105_172451_zpsrosh6cj6.jpg

With ruler both sides front of right bicep:

20160105_172801_zps713narvt.jpg20160105_172817_zpsnco1ecbw.jpg

Thanks for asking more questions and giving me the opportunity to provide amplifying information on my build. hopefully these images paint a clearer picture.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Hi Eric, thank you for your application, lets go through it.

CRL and EIB Application Requirements:

All submission photos are here, and all requirements have been met for Expert Infantry. Congratulations and welcome to the ranks :duim:

Other-Armor Fit/Assembly:

In this section, we review suggestions made by your fellow troopers and our own observations. All go towards improving the final look of your armor, but before we go into this, I would like to say WOW you have done a great job, and the new AM 2.0 chest and back plates are a vast improvement on their previous version.

As mentioned by Gaz, we too thought your Biceps did look a little large at the bottoms. We would like to thank you for posting the additional images of your biceps to help clear up any possible fitment issues, awesome work!, there is no doubt they do fit you well.

Only two things to note, you can definitely remove a fair bit of return edge on both sides of your back plate. Trimming these back so there is an even amount right the way down either side will certainly tidy this area up.

Right20arms20raised_zps4apvgq9a.jpg

Left20arms20raised_zpszx8lo0sx.jpg

There is also some excess that can come off the seam where the Ab and kidney meet at both sides, again giving a tidier appearance.

Left%20side%20detail_zpsituqrjcu.jpg

Right%20Side%20detail%20no%20belt_zpscyb

Centurion Suggestions:

Get yourself some rubber or flexible hand guards, make the above suggested mods and take all the required photos for the next level.

Thanks again for a great application and we expect to see a Centurion from you in the near future. :salute:

Thanks to all. Very exciting! Appreciate all the guidance.

Got to get those rubber hand-guards! Anyone have suggestions as to where I can get them from?Already contacted Karin but no reply and her mailbox is full.

Congrats, Erik, and welcome to the ranks!!  If you can't get in touch with Karin, you can always go with Trooperbay.  I think they sell for around $33.00 or so.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

GREAT to hear that you are shooting for Centurion, Erik!  This is an awesome example of AM armor at it's best, but I'm sure you know that the CRLs have been updated in the last 7 years so there have been some changes for all 3 levels.  A quick read over them will help get you up to speed.

Also note that when reviewing a costume that the D.O.s do not depend solely on the text, but also take official visual references (screen caps, etc.) into consideration.

A few things that may need to be addressed are:

1.  It's kind of hard to tell, but the cloth belt may be a bit wide:

• The corners of the plastic ammo belt shall be trimmed at a 45 degree angle that that meets the outer edge of the cloth belt.

JAI8VOb.png

2.  The rims of the Hovi tips should have a few dabs of white paint ("weathering").  EASY!

3.  If you haven't got a set yet, flexible hand guards are required.  I have those available here.

Looking forward to seeing your submission, and if you have any questions just ask!  :jc_doublethumbup:  

• Like 1

I'm curious about your helmet!

These black lines around the helmet:

Mwd7BtU.png

fqC3pso.png

AcquJPw.png

Seems like the helmet came in 3 pieces? Top of the bucket, the back and then the front?

Just praparing your for Centurion (remember I am no Deployment Officer) but for the helmet I assume that you could get some comments on the tube stripes position, and that the top of the tube stripes closest towards the frown should be a little more angled forwards, some grey on the teeth that could be removed since it cannot extend the teeth area, and maybe shortening the brow trim a little bit, either cutting it at an angle with the trap or just straight but further in

suvCbDJ.png
XE0KOiq.png

Usually these lines are suggested in Centurion applications for the brow trim

jC9ul6s.png

Oh and you maaaay also have to dab a little white paint around the rim of the Hovi-MIX tips!

• Correct Aerators/Hovi-MIX tips are present. Screens used shall be of a wide type mesh, with the rim of the mic and the inside white or painted white.

0gsjmSW.png

Just also make sure that you have the correct S trim and not U trim around the neck rim :salute:

• Neck trim shall be of an s-type profile rather than a u-type profile.

Interesting points. Don't I fall under the CRL I was originally approved under in 2016?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, GunnerD said:

Interesting points. Don't I fall under the CRL I was originally approved under in 2016

As you are only now applying for Centurion you need to meet current CRL requirements, not what requirements may have been in 2016

Okie dokie. I don't feel as though the "help" you are trying to provide is as constructive as it is denying. If you're an actual FISD reviewer, then thank you! If you're not, then I feel as though you're trying to set up road blocks for me because my armor was co-built with a GML who has built armor for most of the current star wars movies & shows...

Ultimately, I'll do whatever is asked, but these comments seem more like trolling & less as advice. The reviewer, in my submission, pointed out 2 things.

1 hour ago, GunnerD said:

Ultimately, I'll do whatever is asked, but these comments seem more like trolling & less as advice. The reviewer, in my submission, pointed out 2 things.

Things can also get lost in translation, I don't believe anyone is trolling so please don't take offence.

2 things may have been quoted in your EIB submission but much has changed over 7 years with some more details being added and updated, if you looked through the EIB L2 requirements of the CRL you may notice some of them. There is no way my 10 year old EIB and Centurion would get approved as they are these days.

At the end of the day it's the @Deployment Officer Team who will be reviewing your Centurion submission if you still wish to move forward, you could reach out to them directly to confirm any of the adjustments mentioned or post your centurion application and they will comment there. 

• Like 1