Anovos helmet - 3d scanned or from digital files used in the production of the movie?

Vaj

I noticed Anovos changed the description of their TFA Helmet. Some time ago it was described as: "Replicated from details utilizing 3D scanning and references from the original piece". Now it says: "Derived from digital files used in the production of STAR WARS™ EPISODE VII: THE FORCE AWAKENS".

I remember when I was disappointed when I read it was ONLY 3D scanned because I expected they would have used the digital files directly from the moviemakers! And now the claim is different. As a product designer I know it can make a big difference to scan a helmet or to use the original constructed file. Depending on the afterwork on the 3d scan details might be different. So I wonder if someone can confirm if Anovos changed only their claims or indeed is selling a different product now.

Or lie. Sorry, but they are far from truthful. If I went based on ship dates they've given me alone, and got a dollar every time they were completely wrong, I'd be a rich man. Hell, I had one of the owners call me on my cell phone to talk about the at-at driver when I bought it back when it was first available. He told me a ton of things...most now have been proven false. I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. They make nice stuff, but they're far from trustworthy. They just tell you what you want to hear to get your cash. <br><br><br>

Hell, the tks are shipped in a week or two, and they still don't know if their holsters are real leather or faux. Really? You're two weeks out and you don't have a clue what materials you're using? Riiiiiiight.

Edited by TK_3202

Or lie. Sorry, but they are far from truthful. If I went based on ship dates they've given me alone, and got a dollar every time they were completely wrong, I'd be a rich man. Hell, I had one of the owners call me on my cell phone to talk about the at-at driver when I bought it back when it was first available. He told me a ton of things...most now have been proven false. I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. They make nice stuff, but they're far from trustworthy. They just tell you what you want to hear to get your cash. <br><br><br>

Hell, the tks are shipped in a week or two, and they still don't know if their holsters are real leather or faux. Really? You're two weeks out and you don't have a clue what materials you're using? Riiiiiiight.

They confirmed in their bonus November newsletter that the holster is real leather. They even shown pictures of it...

As for as using the 3D files from the screen used helmets, it would make sense in explaining how quick they were able to produce them. I've been thinking about that for some time actually.

Edited by =Sv3=

They confirmed in their bonus November newsletter that the holster is real leather. They even shown pictures of it...

As for as using the 3D files from the screen used helmets, it would make sense in explaining how quick they were able to produce them. I've been thinking about that for some time actually.

I stand corrected on that part. Odd though they still say they weren't sure when I asked via a support ticket.

Regarding the TFA armor, what I was told was Disney refused to hand over the 3D files, despite the short deadline requested by Disney to get the suits out in time to have some ready for Celebration. And despite it taking longer, they had to scan the armor due to Disney refusing to lend the files to Anovos.

Who knows though. Like I said, they change their stance on things quite a bit.

Actually what I heard was that the shop that made the 3d printed armor for the film did not hand over exact files. Whether this was on Disney's orders or not I do not know. But, the end result is that they are thus not exact replicas.

thank you this clears it up a bit more. If I look at the figures from "hot toys" they look quite accurate for me. I wonder if they got the digital files then? I think time will tell us more but if anovos actually claims to offer - Derived from digital files used in the production- helmets and its only 3D scanned I would feel betrayed. I think its still a good looking replica and very close but the claims should stand for what it is. I hope Jez from starwarhelmets will make a nice comparison of the different TFA helmets soon or someone else here on the forums. :)

The originals were produced by Propshop in the UK. They wanted to get into making the replicas for the fans and for some reason Disney wasn't having anything to do with it. I think they were told to provide files to Anovos and they just turned over stuff that had to be cleaned up and not the easiest file to work. I assume derived means they created their product from the files provided by propshop.

Edited by Rogue Studio
  • Like 1

I noticed Anovos changed the description of their TFA Helmet

Simple bait and switch.

I noticed the same thing with the preorder sale thread on the legion board. It was edited heavily, in regards to accuracy and origin of the armor. 

After seeing all of the toys on the shelves, I'm convinced that the anovos armor is derived from the same files. 

I've said it before; Disney will never release the secret formula. That means that anovos is bound by their licence to produce this kit and no other. They may not even have the option at this point to commission an artist to reproduce a replica. Our only hope of screen accuracy lies within the community of prop artists.

I have heard some negative comments come from the folks at anovos, in regards to our "elitism" and "accuracy nuts". This speaks volumes to their accuracy and quality. They know what they have, and I believe they are sweating over it. If they can't produce an accurate kit, they wont make it here. I just wonder at which point did they realize something was wrong with their reference material.

Here is a comparison shot of a fan sculpt, next to the anovos. I believe the artist got much closer to the mark.

rbHUo1n.jpg

Cy78IuB.jpg

2Buknd5.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

These stories that I'm hearing combined with the fact that the ABS trooping helmet's quality and proportions seemed a little off when compared to the Anovos fiberglass version is making me double guess my dedication to a FO build.

If the other rumors about a basic kit costing well into the $1000 to $2000 region turns out to be true, I think I may go with one of the fan kits for both accuracy and cost saving measures.

These stories that I'm hearing combined with the fact that the ABS trooping helmet's quality and proportions seemed a little off when compared to the Anovos fiberglass version is making me double guess my dedication to a FO build.

If the other rumors about a basic kit costing well into the $1000 to $2000 region turns out to be true, I think I may go with one of the fan kits for both accuracy and cost saving measures.

so the fiberglas version from Anovos is a bit more accurate than the ABS version? What are the differences?

The last info I received from Anovos was that the kits may run around $800.00 to $1000. My issue is finding a kit that fits someone who is 6'-3". So far Anovos has informed me that their kits will not fit me without a large amount of modifications and bondo. Isn't there enough bondo?

I'd be very surprised if they actually produce a wearable suit. Disney was very strict on their instructions to Anovos and their license to do these only covered making suits for premieres and events. A friend recently went Anaheim Disney and the suits the employees were wearing were not Anovos suits.

Some of this thread is spot on, some not so much.

Some of their parts were 3D scanned. Some were printed form provided 3D files. There are a ton of legalities that are involved.

Some licensees have exclusive rights to certain things. EX: A prop vs. an accessory. A costume vs. a replica.

And let me tell you. The price that these licensees pay to make SW stuff is astronomical, so you bet your hide that they will protect every single word in their contract and fight tooth and nail if on company encroaches on another's "terms"

Most in our community are not aware of the difference in legalities that are involved. We just look at it as "accurate" or not. 

And just to clarify a few things:

Do I work for Anovos? No.

Are they my friends? Yes. 

Do I agree they all of Anovos's practices? No.

Do I trust them to get us them to get us the most accurate "costume" they can? Yes.

Do I hope they succeed? Yes.

Edited by TK6682
  • Like 5

Haha. Nah!

I am just  tired of seeing a lack of respect across the board from established members, builders, and companies. The conspiracy theorists seem to come out of the woodwork now that there is a legitimate Star Wars "costume" company.

We are all here because of our love of this franchise. Everyone needs to chill and have FUN. 

Edited by TK6682
  • Like 7

We can keep debating on where these files ANOVOS had came from, and speculating about Disney's involvement. Truth be told, no one knows unless you were part of the process of what happened between Disney and ANOVOS... Neither are talking so the point is moot.<br><br>

I'm with Bender on this. I'm tired of people bashing ANOVOS. Do I know them? No. I do know some of them are Legion members, and I do know that their Star Trek line, and Battlestar Galactica line are authentic reproductions. I see them putting the same hardship and love into Star Wars too. Have I made a purchase from them? No. Have I seen their TFA TK armour worn by other Legion members? Yes, and it looks awesome!

• Like 4

We can keep debating on where these files ANOVOS had came from, and speculating about Disney's involvement. Truth be told, no one knows unless you were part of the process of what happened between Disney and ANOVOS... Neither are talking so the point is moot.<br><br>

I'm with Bender on this. I'm tired of people bashing ANOVOS. Do I know them? No. I do know some of them are Legion members, and I do know that their Star Trek line, and Battlestar Galactica line are authentic reproductions. I see them putting the same hardship and love into Star Wars too. Have I made a purchase from them? No. Have I seen their TFA TK armour worn by other Legion members? Yes, and it looks awesome!

I didn't know Anovos is bashed so much but I read bad things about them just now after I started this thread. It was not my intention to make them bad. For me Anovos still has the best Prerequisites for making it as close as possible except someone takes their helmet and makes measurements from their work and reinterpretes the design. This would be most likely just different then and difficult to get it more optimized. However I am curious of possible differences in shape between the ABS and fiberglas version? Does anyone own both and can compare them side by side?

• Like 1

I think a picture was posted earlier in this thread... I've seen a comparison, and one trooper said he'd be using his abs bucket, instead of the Fiberglas version.<br><br>

Just checked, no comparison picture, but I have seen one...

Edited by TK 2759

I think a picture was posted earlier in this thread... I've seen a comparison, and one trooper said he'd be using his abs bucket, instead of the Fiberglas version.<br><br>

Just checked, no comparison picture, but I have seen one...

I see different claims here :) comparing them from different pictures with different angles and the cameras focal length makes it not easy to recognize although I collected many pictures. A good side by side shot would be great.