Foam lining inside your Armor

What foam are people using inside their armor to pad the inside. The armor I purchased has simple grey foam chunks duct taped in. Is there a better type of foam to use to pad with? <br><br>

The padding is in the forearms, calf pieces and thighs.

• Like 1

I purchased some one inch thick pieces of "chair pad" foam from Wally-world and cut them into 2 inch wide strips, but I only need them on the inside of the front of my calves to keep them from shifting.  To attach them, I picked up some industrial strength Velcro from Lowe's.  I like this method because I can remove them when they start to get a bit smelly from sweat, wash them by hand, let em' dry out, and pop them right back in.  I would stay away from duct tape if possible, as the residue can get sticky, and getting it off of your under-suit would be difficult.

Are your forearms and thigh pieces too large?  If they were put together with E-6000, you can always think about cutting them down a bit.

I bought this from Jo-Ann's fabric store 

------------

I had to CA glue industrial velcro to the pieces I used because the sticky backing doesn't adhere very well to the foam. 

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I had to CA glue industrial velcro to the pieces I used because the sticky backing doesn't adhere very well to the foam.

Good call, Jason!  I forgot to mention that

• 2 months later...

I've been using insulation foam, which was okay in the winter because it helped me stay warm.  I'd like to transition to one of these two options to help me stay a bit cooler.  Which one can not only keep me cooler but be somewhat sweat-resistant?

• 1 month later...

I'm sure if you scuff up both surfaces a bit e6000 will work just great. But foam to plastic I'm not sure what other alternatives other than super glue would be ideal. If you're not applying it directly to the ABS hot glue always works on foam. YOu extreme caution when using heat around the ABS, I have already made this mistake so you don't have too lol.

Alright. I picked up some 3M Super 77 yesterday. I think that should do the trick for the foam, unless you think I shouldn't for the plastic. I believe it should be okay though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by TR8-TOR

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

If you're just looking for some foam strips to hold things in place better, self adhesive foam weatherstripping works great. I have it in my forearms and thighs and it works great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've got a strip of this in both forearms and thighs:

https://trooperbay.com/yellow-foam-costume-or-armor-fitting-strips

Super Glue and Zap-A-Gap (hate that stuff!!) was just too messy to attach them with, plus they didn't hold (neither did E6000) so I used adhesive industrial strength velcro.  Stick one piece inside the armor and the other to the foam strip, press them together and voilà.  Hasn't budged once.

Edited by mgb1016

• 3 months later...

I found this at Hobby Lobby - $3.99 for a 12" x 12" x 2" thick piece. Hypoallegenic, washable and breathable...

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I cut up some foam from one of those long swimming pool noodles that kids use in the pool, and used e6000 to glue.

Sent from my SM-J100Y using Tapatalk