What Armor Type is Best for Smaller Frames?

Hey guys, I'm just starting to research the different armor types, but after a fair amount of research, I was still feeling a bit overwhelmed and was wondering if anyone could give me some tips. I'm 20, so I'm not gonna grow any more, but I'm only 5' 6" and around 150 lbs. Is there a specific armor type (ANH, ESB, ROTJ) or kit that is better suited to my height and frame? I know that this may be a really open-ended question, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

- Ryan    

I'm uncertain, what you are asking, do you mean, are the kits for the same type of trooper? ... Most ANH kits are for stunt, I've heard of a few that offer Hero parts for the helmet though. The different armour providers can be made into the various movies, with a bit of work. It's best to determine which movie you'd like to appear as, and go from there.

Hello Ryan and welcome to FISD.  Like mentioned above you can fit well into an Authentic Props armor.  Other armors that are available that would be great for your size are Troopermaster and RS Props.  The last two are two of the best you can get however are also more on the expensive side. 

The differences between ANH and ESB are minor and it can be done using the same kit.  ROTJ is a totally different set of armor and are available from CFO and Troopermaster.

• Like 1

I was in the same dilemma as you almost 2 years ago. I'm 5'5 at 150 pounds with a 34 waist. I went with AP because of my height and weight and the price wasn't too bad. From Authentic Props you will be getting a ANH STUNT. I paid a little extra to have it trimmed and the gloves/leather holster combo. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

It's looking like AP is going to be the way to go, Ryan.  As for the differences in ANH Stunt and Hero, you can see exactly what they are by clicking on the Costume Requirements tab on the top bar of the home page.  (I tried to link it here, but it seems the 501st site is down right now for some reason).

There are a lot of great build threads here for customizing the armor to fit your type of frame perfectly, which will give you something to research while waiting.  You can (and should) start your own build thread when you start putting things together... this way, you can keep track of (and show off) your progress, and it makes it much easier for us to answer questions when there are photos.  (We love photos)!

• Like 1

Hey guys,

This is for the female troopers out there.. I am looking at purchasing AP armor in the new year and have email with Mark as well..(nice guy)

Someone told me once that it is a good idea to see a tailor for all the right measurements... is this true?

Just wondering about the chest piece...

Advice is appreciated :)

Edited by Brattie

Yeah.. good idea.. I know height won't be an issue.. I'm 5'10 grins.. not short.. but yeah.. will have to find a good place to go and get my measurements.. BLAH! :smiley-sw013:

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 1

It's looking like AP is going to be the way to go, Ryan. As for the differences in ANH Stunt and Hero, you can see exactly what they are by clicking on the Costume Requirements tab on the top bar of the home page. (I tried to link it here, but it seems the 501st site is down right now for some reason).

There are a lot of great build threads here for customizing the armor to fit your type of frame perfectly, which will give you something to research while waiting. You can (and should) start your own build thread when you start putting things together... this way, you can keep track of (and show off) your progress, and it makes it much easier for us to answer questions when there are photos. (We love photos)!

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it! Everyone on the forum I've talked to has been really welcoming and open to questions, and it means a lot! So once I've decided between hero or stunt, will there be a different kit for both?
  • Like 1

Mostly yes, although for the hero there may be parts you require, mostly for helmet. Different ears, bubble lenses, somehow to reshape the teeth so there are less... These are the main differences I can think of off hand... If you go EIB, or Centurion, there are a lot more differences...

• Like 1

I modified and built a set of ATA armor for a 5'1" 105lbs female friend of mine.  It was not too difficult.  Below is the link with some pics.  Limited build info, but I will gladly offer any advice if needed.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/22180-ata-armor-build-for-petit-51-female/#entry276769

Edited by Vader1
  • Like 2

Alright, here is a funny question on the topic of Armor and best type yadda yadda yadda... move along...

Where is the best place to go to get yourself measured up for armor?

Yes I could try to measure myself, but that doesn't tend to be accurate...

Edited by Brattie

With the amount of effort and work being put into the Armor I'd rather have the measurements done by a professional .. I think I'll find a tailor shop and ask them. :)  I'd rather have it done right especially with money riding on it..

Besides in the long run it would be beneficial to have all my measurements right?

• Like 1

Yeah Dan,

They'll probably charge a small amount.. like $50.. but it's worth it to help ensure I get my Armor right. :smiley-sw013:

Also I'll have all necessary measurements on hand then.. which should help with other mods etc.

I like the look of those "In bucket" fans.. but do we need them in Canada? Maybe in-bucket Heaters? Laugh

I've had my fans on hand for years, but only installed them after last summer... I used Velcro to attach them inside the bucket, this way I can put them in when needed/required... Most times I have found them unnecessary, about 99% of the time, but nice to have the option.