Started my MRCE

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice indeed! Yeah, I hope mine comes out this good. I've been reading the MR threads enough that I sure know what I'm going to do that's for sure!

The finish is not that glossy, I am a little disappointed, but I couldn't take it anymore with the spray paint. It was driving me mad. So I may turn it into a Sandtrooper.

Looks glossy enough to me!

The problem you had before was that the rustoleum white was not fully cured before you applied the clear coat. That paint needs to sit dry for at least a week before applying a clear coat to prevent that from happening. Oh on a side note. I had used some Mr.Clean magic erasure to get some scuffs off my helmet painted with the rustoleum and it removed some of the gloss. But I buffed it back out to a gloss using Novus 2 and Novus 1. So Novus works well on the painted helmets as well as ABS.

Anthony: Did you brush the paint onto the frown? I got the Testor spray, but I"m thinking I'll just brush everything, more control. Looks great and I know who you feel, got the cracking on the underside by the vocoder when I did my second coat last night - argh!

Ā 

DD.

• 1 month later...

That's one sweet lid. I just started modding mine, couldn't wait. Got it today, opened the box, ran around the house and scared my kid for a few minutes.... Then I just started taking it apart. I was scared as hell to start it, but it wasn't as bad as I thought.

Ā 

So far I've gotten both ears of (whole and reusable), opened the fourth tooth on both sides and widened the other holes in the frown as well. cut out both mictips (and made sure Stompers hovis fit snug:). Started pulling the helmet apart, but suddenly felt like a break, so ended up playing Siren Blood Curse on PS3 the rest of the night:-)

• 3 weeks later...
well it has been awhile. I stripped the helmet and re did the paint job I am now satisfied with it.

Looks fantastic man!

Ā 

Seems like that's the thing to do... repaint after it's been painted. I am just finishing up my repaint in fact. B)

Let me assure you, painting is not that hard. I did it for the first time ever on my MR, and it turned out great. Try experimenting with painting something else, just to get the feel of it.

Ā 

I really was a bit intimidated at first myself, but just got over it and jumped in.

Let me assure you, painting is not that hard. I did it for the first time ever on my MR, and it turned out great. Try experimenting with painting something else, just to get the feel of it.

Ā 

I really was a bit intimidated at first myself, but just got over it and jumped in.

Ā 

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm trying out some of my "skills" (using the term rather loosely) on a Hasbro E-11 to get used to the cans.

hey murray, completely agree with cranky

Ā 

1st time modder here too. my backgroudn with tools is mostly DIY round the house.

found with the tutorials and encouragement from all here - worked out fine

Ā 

like u - painting was my gretest downfall. but remember, if a layer does go wrong - just sand (fd sanding paint so much easier than sanding plastic!) and break out he spray can again!

Ā 

hope to see piccies soon

Ā 

NAte

That's one wicked looking MR lid dude!

Ā 

Just modding mine at the minute - all painted up but I can't seem to find tube stripes that fit - the Trooperdecals sets are too big.

Ā 

Where'd you get your tube stripes from or did you paint them on?