Started my MRCE

Well today I started my MRCE mods. All i could find was MMD green putty so I had to make do.

I trimmed the brow (i may trim it more)

I filled in the main ugly seam, and sanded the few mold lines.

Filed out the teeth. (i still need to cut out the fourth teeth holes.

removed the aerators. (found some made by stomper)

removed ears and trimmed them down. Although I just hate the look of those ears. (anyone know where to get accurate ears??)

I have a lot of sanding to do tomorrow. i will finish the rest of the helmet with the 220 then ill go over that with the 320 and then a nice wet sand with the 600. then i will prime and look for anything that i may have missed.

My brow trim and neck trim has been ordered from seals direct, and now im wondering what paints i need for the frown, and the rest of the sections. anyone have a paint list?

Oh one thing some one know how to take this thing completely apart????? i have no clue!

storm1-1.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Anthony,

I was able to take mine apart (MR CE helmet overhaul), but it wasn't easy. Once I had the ears off I used a small flat head screw driver to gently and carefully snap the front & back halves apart from the inside (after I removed the foam pieces). But they are still attached to the cap. That took days and days of pulling on the cap till it came off! I was about to give up :angry:

I hope someone comes up with an easier way, because that was nerve-racking for me. I thought for sure I was going to break it.

You cut the brow without taking it apart? How did you find that, difficult? What did you use?

I don't want to completely take it a part if I can avoid it, so if you were able to cut the brow without much trouble maybe I'll tackle that this weekend.

Cheers.

DD.

I trimmed my brow back a little using the trusty Dremel again with the small sanding drum. I nicked the face plate underneath some, but that was sanded and puttied. I just marked the line where I wanted it with a pencil and started carefully sanding away...with the emphasis on carefully. ;)

it was a major pain in the rear. but i used just a utility knife and kind of wittled away at it. I cut up the plastic on the face a bit but those are gone just by sanding.

You cut the brow without taking it apart? How did you find that, difficult? What did you use?

I don't want to completely take it a part if I can avoid it, so if you were able to cut the brow without much trouble maybe I'll tackle that this weekend.

Cheers.

DD.

well, i got the thing completely apart. it was scary i thought i was going to break it.

I trimmed the brow a little more since i was able to get the helmet apart

I added some plastic weld to the mouth seam on the inside so that it is stronger.

I cut out the 4th hole in the frown.

I filled some more and sanded some more. I went over the face with the 320 and its pretty smooth

so far i have only filled and sanded the face. im working in sections. I figured it would make things easier for me to stay on one section at a time.

I keep thinking I'll trim the brow, but I don't know now. I think it looks meaner and I was watching ESB yesterday with the kids and I saw a couple TKs with the Hero brow (I think I did anyway). So I may just leave it.

EDIT: Okay, I lied. I cut it. Wasn't that hard, just took my time and used a metal ruler underneathe so that I wouldn't score the plastic behind. I might have to cut a little more in the middle section, but otherwise looks okay.

yours is looking god man. i have been lazy and haven't worked on it since the last update. I am waiting till some of my parts arrive

right now i am waiting for the decals, the rubber brow trim, rubber neck trim, and the accurate ears. these all should be here hopefully sometime next week.

I have yet to pay for the aerators from Stomper, just waiting for him to pm me with the payment info.

i may work on it some today.. i am not sure yet. i hate sanding and that is all that needs to be done as of right now. lol

blah

sand and fill sand and fill sand sand and sand some more, then prime then sand and fill again

it is monotonous.

I keep thinking I'll trim the brow, but I don't know now. I think it looks meaner and I was watching ESB yesterday with the kids and I saw a couple TKs with the Hero brow (I think I did anyway). So I may just leave it.

EDIT: Okay, I lied. I cut it. Wasn't that hard, just took my time and used a metal ruler underneathe so that I wouldn't score the plastic behind. I might have to cut a little more in the middle section, but otherwise looks okay.

Was thinking about changing out the ears as well. Just finished using bondo on them (ear cap seams). Letting it dry now, so tomorrow I'll sand and see how it turns out. I'll post some pics in my thread when I've done that. Damn, bondo really stinks!

yours is looking god man. i have been lazy and haven't worked on it since the last update. I am waiting till some of my parts arrive

right now i am waiting for the decals, the rubber brow trim, rubber neck trim, and the accurate ears. these all should be here hopefully sometime next week.

I have yet to pay for the aerators from Stomper, just waiting for him to pm me with the payment info.

i may work on it some today.. i am not sure yet. i hate sanding and that is all that needs to be done as of right now. lol

blah

sand and fill sand and fill sand sand and sand some more, then prime then sand and fill again

it is monotonous.

small little update...

i sanded the filler on the seam and sanded the face. then i laid down the first 3 coats of primer on the face section. I will let that dry till tomorrow or Saturday and then find any spots that need filling and then sand some more. its looking real good. i did not get to take any pics.

Once I am finished filling and sanding the face, I will be moving on to the back of the head to sand the mold lines. Then I will screw the face and the back together glue the top seam so they stay together, fill in the indents of where the old ears were, and sand. Then its on to the top of the dome. Sand that down to get rid of the mold lines, then glue it on to the rest of the helmet, fill in the seam where the back and dome meet, sand some more. then prime it all at the same time. let dry overnight and wet sand. From there I will look it over make and fills I may have missed then prime again. then hopefully I'll be ready for the paint.

I should be getting my tube stripes tomorrow, and the ears early next week. Still waiting on Stompers run of aerators. Then I just remembered I need lenses as well.

Ill be done soon! yay. then i just need a helmet stand and a plaque. Then time to save for the armor. So i have a question here. I am 6"2' 155lbs. What armor would fit me best?

well, got off work early so I decided to work on the bucket.

I sanded the cap/dome.

I sanded the back section.

I attached the back and front, glued them together so far. still need to find screws and a drill to make the sides sit flush.

I am letting the glue sit for a while and ill look for a drill and screws for the sides. Once i have those i will continue on as planned.

Glue cap/dome on to the rest of the helmet.

fill in the seam where the back and cap/dome meet.

sand some more.

then prime it all again

let dry overnight

then wet sand.

From there I will look it over, fill if needed.

IMG_0207-1.jpg

well, got off work early so I decided to work on the bucket.

I sanded the cap/dome.

I sanded the back section.

I attached the back and front, glued them together so far. still need to find screws and a drill to make the sides sit flush.

I am letting the glue sit for a while and ill look for a drill and screws for the sides. Once i have those i will continue on as planned.

Glue cap/dome on to the rest of the helmet.

fill in the seam where the back and cap/dome meet.

sand some more.

then prime it all again

let dry overnight

then wet sand.

From there I will look it over, fill if needed.

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

Looking excellent!

What is everyone doing about the screws?

Can somebody give me an idea on how to "fake" the screws on the ear pieces?

Not sure how you'd go about faking the screws. I used light switch wall plate screws. I don't know how accurate they are...close maybe...but they're somewhat low profile so they don't stick out very much. They also come in white.

MRCEears2.jpg

Just mark and drill your holes with a drill bit just big enough to fit the bolt through, but not the head. You'll be drilling through a couple layers of plastic, essentially making two holes for each screw. To seat the screw-head you'll need to drill out the outside hole only on the earpiece to a diameter just less than the head. It'll sit in the bigger hole and stick out less that way. Depending if you trimmed your earpieces down, you'll be able to see the end of the screw through the inner hole inside the bucket, or it'll be sticking out some. I just shot some hot glue into the hole and it seems to be holding fine.

• 2 weeks later...

well its been a while.

well, i filled the seams where the front and back overlap. sanded it smooth. then i glued the cap on to the rest of the helmet. filled the seams. waiting for it to dry.

tomorrow i will sand it and fill more if needed. then prime and then wet sand and then prime again. then paint job. then trim ears and paint them.

well, yesterday I got off work early so I went and bought paint. I got home sanded the filler on the seam of the cap and back and sanded the filler on the sides where the ears go. Then I was happy with the seams so I primed the whole thing 4 coats of primer. I will Wet sand tonight and then look it over. Pray that everything is good and then spray the High performance Gloss white. Then when that nice and coated I will hit it with the crystal clear and then buff it. After that paint the frown/tears/traps/vocoder. Then attach the neck trim and brow trim. then trim the ears to fit, paint them and attach. then the tube stripes.

so I have alot to do this weekend. But I swear I am going to finish it lol

Still waiting on the Hovi's from Stomper. I paid Monday so I am hoping they are here soon.

Well I wet sanded today, it is silky smooth all over now, looks great. Once it drys off I will start spraying the gloss white on it.

I thought Stompers Aerators would be here today but i guess not. Darn. I also picked up the paint for the frown and traps/tears. Not sure If i should do the vocoder in gloss or satin. Anyone have ideas?

Well, heres a new pic.

stormwetsand-1-1.jpg

well I laid on 4 coats of the Gloss White. It has a pretty nice finish so far. I am thinking of maybe one more coat. Oh weird thing happened to me while spraying the gloss white on. the bottom of the can bubbled out. Does anyone know why it would have done this?

So tomorrow i may lay on another coat of the gloss white, then the crystal clear. I will let that dry and then paint the traps/tears, and frown. Gloss black for the Vocoder, or satin/flat????

yeah! almost done.

what do you guys think?

DSCN1481-1.jpg

DSCN1482-1.jpg

DSCN1484-1.jpg

Man, that is looking GOOD man!

I can not wait to get mine and mod it!

Did you seal the sides of yours like Luis did his?

It looks like you did... but you didn't have pics of it in process so I thought I'd ask.

Also, any tips on taking the helmet apart completely?

I will really try and look at it to see if I can find out the best way when I'm doing mine.

Again, great job!!!

Man, that is looking GOOD man!

I can not wait to get mine and mod it!

Did you seal the sides of yours like Luis did his?

It looks like you did... but you didn't have pics of it in process so I thought I'd ask.

Also, any tips on taking the helmet apart completely?

I will really try and look at it to see if I can find out the best way when I'm doing mine.

Again, great job!!!

Excellent work!

What paint did you use?

Did you save your brow trim?...or getting new? (and where to get the new)

Ears?

i used rustoleum high performance gloss white. bought new trim from seals direct, and ears from someone here on the boards.

i am supper mad right now. so i decided to put on the crystal clear today, so i start spraying and after a second of spraying i notice the white is cracking. wtf!!!! this sucks now i need to let it dry and sand it again and then repaint, this time nooooo to the crystal clear.

anyone know why it would have done this?

Excellent work!

What paint did you use?

Did you save your brow trim?...or getting new? (and where to get the new)

Ears?

well, i sanded it AGAIN today. and started to paint once again. its looking great. theres a few spots that are uneven so im gonna let it sit for two days and then put on another coat. hopefully even it out.

Oh, I received Stompers hovi's I must say they are beautiful. Much better then the ones that come on the helmet. Thanks Stomper!!!

now all i need is Lenses.

so yeah, Wednesday one last coat of gloss white. then let it dry for like a week, maybe clearcoat it. a big maybe. last time i did that the paint crackled so i dunno. Tips guys??????

Then paint the frown, traps/tears. put on the tube stripes, glue on the brow trim and neck trim. then attach the hovi's. Then find lenses.

Wow, it's coming along great! Looks like you were able to close the ear gaps really well. I didn't like the way mine turned out after I painted it so I sanded it then sprayed some crystal clear. When that dried I buffed it out with some rubbing compound. Now it looks great. Maybe it cracked because the base paint coats were not fully dried. I think that's what happened.